Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Self-rising Flour

5 posts in this topic

i've got this recipe book and sometimes it calls for "flour," sometimes for "self-rising flour." what the hell is the difference?? for the "flour" i just use an all-purpose which works fine, but will an all-purpose suffice, when the recipe calls for self-rising flour, or is there some big differenence between the two?

--matt

Ads by Google:

Self rising flour is flour with salt and baking powder already added. If you substitute plain flour for self rising, you have to add, I think, 1 1/4 tsp. of baking powder and a pinch or so of salt for each cup of plain flour.

These are the recipes I have for self rising flour. Frankly I haven't tried them yet.

Gluten-free self-raising flour #1

2 tablespoons potato flour

enough white rice flour to make it up to 1 cup

1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate soda

1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar

1 teaspoon xanthan gum OR guar gum OR pre-gel starch

Self-Rising Flour #2

4 cups gluten-free all purpose flour mix (your favorite)

1 Tablespoon sugar

1/2 Tablespoon salt

2 Tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon baking powder

Sift together all ingredients well, store in zippered storage bags.

Can be used in any recipe calling for self-rising flour.

About 4 1/4 cups

Gluten-free self-raising flour #3

1 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour plus 1-1/2

teaspoons baking powder AND 1/8 teaspoon salt. Sift and mix it all

together well before adding the rest of the ingredients.

I hope this helps!

Kandee

I buy Orgran's gluten-free All Purpose and Self Rising Flour, both are awesome.