Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  




Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:




Ads by Google:






   Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Mucousy Stools A Symptom?
0

5 posts in this topic

My daughter who is now 2 1/2 was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis in January after a colonoscopy. Her main symptoms were loose stools (2 x day) with lots of mucous and, infrequently, traces of blood. She's been on the meds for her colitis for two months now, though I don't see any change in her stools. The ped GI tested her stool and found no blood as well as no WBC's, which is a measure of inflammation. He ordered one more test (alpha 1-antitrypsin) to check out the inflammation in the colon as well.

In February, her celiac panel came back positive for IgA's and IgG's, though the other two were negative. He said he wants to recheck that in two more months to see if the numbers have increased. He said we need to give it some time for her to build up antibodies to get an accurate result (since two year olds haven't had much time to do that).

I know her symptoms are mild right now, but I'm having trouble waiting. I just want to fix it! I understand going gluten free would be tough, but I want to do whatever is best for her. Here's my main questions...She's very pale with dark circles under her eyes - is that also pretty common in kids with celiac disease? Also, is mucousy stools a common symptom? It's so hard to say since she was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis as well. Any info would be appreciated! Thanks!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Ads by Google:

Have you and your doctor conscidered gene testing? Both the dark circles and the mucousy stool could be caused by celiac disease. Also, ulcerative colitis and celiac disease can be caused by the same genes. It would be worth looking into. It doesn't sound like he is ruling out celiac disease, but it sure is hard to sit back and wait for more testing. Basically, in order for your daughter to have positive antibodies (EMA and TTG is what they want to see before diagnosis) then her intestines have to be damaged enough for the antibodies being produced to "leak" out into the bloodstream. Know this is what is happening kept me from waiting. I got my children tested through Enterolab and then put them on the diet. This is good for their health (they are all three improving), but they do not have an official diagnosis, which is sometimes hard. You have to consider what is best for you and yours. I would try for the gene test first, and then maybe it won't be necessary to wait for more blood tests.

God bless,

Mariann

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm curious what you mean by "mucosy" stools, because I too have both celiac disease and Colitis, and lately I've noticed my stools are more "fatty" I guess I would say, than usual. I noticed this more since trying the new medication, Asacol, for the colitis. I also have paleness and dark under-eye circles that have not lessened at all since being gluten-free for 9 months. Now I'm wondering if it was the colitis causing this after all. What type of symptoms is your daughter suffering from, and what have they suggested medication-wise? I'm still learning and getting adjusted to the Colitis part of my diagnosis and am eager to talk to others who have people in their lives with both celiac disease and Colitis. It's so hard to tell which one is causing me the problems I'm still having! I'm also wondering if it's possible that my celiac disease diagnosis was incorrect and the disease I've had all along was Colitis, but maybe not since my small intestine did improve on this diet.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My daughter's only symptoms are mushy, mucousy stools, usually 2 x day. Rarely, she'll complain of tummy pain right before she poops. She's taking azulfidine, which she's been on for two months. I have no idea what's causing them...I still question the UC diagnosis. Who knows! I hope you're doing well. Keep in touch!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello :)

I know we have PM'd, but just wanted to tell say my 2 yr old's symptoms sound exactly like yours. She had lots of mucus in her stools, and also complained about her tummy hurting before a bowel movement sometimes. She is also very pale and has dark circles under her eyes. She is a blond hair blue eyed gal anyway, so it might be more noticable with her fair complexion. She has not been really formally diagnosed (I won't do the biopsy) but her two anti-gliadin antibodies were high like your dd's. She didn't have the other antibody tests done. Her stools are so much more normal since going gluten free/casein free. Also wanted to mention that my friend who is a pathologist looked up the #'s for me, and with both tests being positive, there is a 97% chance of my dd having celiac disease. (what the other 3% is, I can't seem to find the answers for). That was enough for me to go gluten free. Anyway, I know I've told you my story a million times. Hang in there, and PM me if you want.

Mel

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
0

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      104,644
    • Total Posts
      921,580
  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Hi Kircket, Welcome to the forum! Yes, he could be wrong.  Not everyone passes the blood tests.  And they are just one part of the diagnostic process anyway, although an important one.   Did you have the complete celiac antibodies panel? Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgA
      Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgG
      Anti-Endomysial (EMA) IgA
      Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA
      Deamidated Gliadin Peptide (DGP) IgA and IgG
      Total Serum IgA If you didn't have the full celiac disease antibodies test panel, I'd insist on getting it done.  There have been numerous people on the forum who tested positive on one antibody but not on others.
    • Three years ago I lost about 40kgs (Aussie lol) by better diet & exercise. All was going great til I stopped losing. I upped my exercise but bizarrely started gaining weight. One night a week of not being able to sleep soon became two, then virtually every night with either 1-2hrs tops or none at all. These weird symptoms started about two years ago, becoming worse in say, the last 9mnths. Then I started to get diarrhea. Occasionally then weirdly 2-3 days with multiple occurences then a day or two with nothing, then back to loose & offensive. My GP ran tests, including the TTga (hope that's  right) antibody blood test. Negative so he tells me that's not it. After 9mnths of this he shrugs and says, "I don't know what it is I've run out of ideas what ideas do you have?" Finally refers me to a gastrointerogist.  Private, of course and can't really afford it but we (my fiance and I) go. Stools and blood samples are ordered, basically bye, see you in a month. I have looked my symptoms up and they seem to point to Celiac. Today we went back. I have been having bloated stomach, sore back and limbs,  lovely burps, constant urination and crushing anxiety attacks folowed by depression (which I have never had before in my life). Admitted over the last weekend I didn't sleep for two and a half days and found myself hallucinating and crying to just be able to sleep. Mr fancy pants gastrointerogist says," Hey great news, the stools samples rule out parasites and Crohns!" I tell him how excrutiating the last month has been to which he replies, "It's not Celiac disease, (points at negative blood test results). Celiac doesnt present with diarrhea, anxiety and frquent urination all together." I also had a fecal occult blood test which showed positive & notes say are maybe due to a lower gi bleed, and a ct scan that says shows some damage which, in their words, could be due to a condition such as Celiac disease. He has booked me for a double scope as the next step, has a few ideas what it could be (won't tell me because he doesn't want me to be 'anxious'). Told me to consider that all these symptoms could be me just worrying and being anxious. Told him when this started I was not worried about anything, shrugged and said, It could stil have happened, hey, sometimes we never find out what causes it and your just stuck with diarrhea forever." Then as I was leaving he slapped me on the back and said, "Don't worry so much, see you soon." I need to have the scopes done but is it me or are the things I was told today not true?  I would honestly love it not to be Celiac disease but could he be wrong?
    • Sigh. I totally do love the packs of stretch pants at Costco though...
    • hey, i'm vegetarian and gluten free as well
      have you tried making any recipes with cashew nuts like cashew cheese or pasta sauce? they're really good, easy to make and an excellent way to get more protein/iron
      i can send you some of the easy recipes if you like  
    • Right, fistulas or fissures are usually associated with Crohns, but not celiac.  It is not impossible to have both conditions though.
  • Upcoming Events

  • Blog Entries

  • Recent Status Updates

  • Who's Online (See full list)

  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      61,651
    • Most Online
      3,093

    Newest Member
    Kricket73
    Joined