Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Language Delay Connection?

4 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!

I am newly diagnosed and I'm wondering what to do about my kids. Neither has any symptoms. My daughter who is 21mths is low on the weight chart (3rd percentile) and is speech delayed. Do any of you know if there is a connection between language delay and celiac disease?

Alison

Ads by Google:

Hello, and welcome!

I don't think that there is yet much substantiated research on this topic. There does seem to be some anecdotal evidence that SOME children (not all, by any means) do have such problems. You could check out the "Success Stories" at www.gfcfdiet.com. This site specifically addresses children with Autism Spectrum Disorders, but slow acquisition or loss of speech is one of the "symptoms" of autism.

The University of New York at Rochester is currently engaged in scholarly research on this topic (ie, whether a gluten-free, casien-free (the protein in milk) diet helps autistic children). (Doggone it! They took my Doctorate research idea away from me!) I think they've just barely started their study, though, so they may not be able to give you much more "substantiated" information than the gfcfdiet site.

Hope this information is helpful (even if it doesn't apply "completely" to your daughter's situation).

Beyond the speech delay information, though, gettting your children tested is a good idea. Research (someone correct me if I've got the numbers wrong) has shown that your children have about a 1 in 10 chance of having this disease because they've got a first degree relative (mom or dad) who has it. They probably should have their blood work done once every couple of years (if it comes back negative, that is), because celiac can be triggered later in life. (Great emotional, mental, or physical stress seems to make it "kick in" for some people.) And your daughter's low place on the growth charts could easily be an indication that she's got problems with gluten.

Good luck!

Hi everyone!

I am newly diagnosed and I'm wondering what to do about my kids. Neither has any symptoms. My daughter who is 21mths is low on the weight chart (3rd percentile) and is speech delayed. Do any of you know if there is a connection between language delay and celiac disease?

Alison

Alison; Do not have specific info for you but does sound like a possibility. I am a great grandma and we have 2 of them in same family who I am wondering about but not that specific a reason to suggest tests for them. I am sure there will be someone on who will have a better answer for you. :) Hang in there, you will find scads of help on this forum, I hope you are doing alright yourself. It is so typical that you have learned things about yourself and now are wondering about your dd. I have done the same, 1 of our three grown dd's has gotten tested and came out with a no amswer, the other 2 tell me they plan that too. wish you well, I have gotten a lot of good help here since mid Feb,06. evie :)

I'm actually curious about this as well. I'm still in the process of determining whether or not gluten is my issue (awaiting EnteroLab results) but I know that celiac can trigger neurological problems in some, and all 3 of my boys have neurological differences.

My oldest and middle child have had constipation/diarrhea issues, which I had at the time thought was behavioral (one is asperger's, one is OCD and tourette's) and my youngest (just 2) has had diarrhea on and off (noticed more with potty training) and he has a speech delay that we are finding out is neurologically based.

However, all my children are healthy weights. The first was 35 lbs at 18 mos, and at 12 is now about 120. My middle son is a smaller build, but he is not skinny. The little one is 2 3/4, and is probably over 40 lbs at this point. All 3 of them are tall, according to the "charts."

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• I have 2 insurance policies, one with my husband's company and one through mine. I also stretch out the more major work into the next year, so I can make the most use of my benefits. So, a dental implant for me takes about a year for me to complete.  I have the post put in at the end of one year and the tooth made about 6 months later. Honestly, the insurance company probably hates me because I max out my benefits every year. You do what ya gotta do!  I still have to pay for some of the work out of pocket but about 75% gets covered. If you pay cash for procedures then they usually charge a lower price. Haggle with the dentist over price. They like getting cash.
    • Did your doctor check for SIBO, H. pylori, ulcers, etc. when he was obtaining biopsies to check for celiac disease?  
    • Oh, and as I mentioned in my own post on pain, xanax. I swear. I tried it just to deal with the occasional panic I had at weird scary symptoms and clueless doctors. I am not a fan of long term use. But I recently found that .25 mg seems to aid with the neuropathic pain. It does not go away, but it helps. 
    • It does sound like a Glutening and you are just a few months into the diet.  It might help if you read our Newbie 101 thread under the "Coping" section.   Here is some information about rice milk: https://www.verywell.com/is-rice-dream-gluten-free-562354 Many, many celiacs are often lactose intolerant temorarily or permanently if you are naturally genetically inclined.  When I am glutened, I lose the ability to digest lactose for a while.   Salad?  Great but it can be rough on a sore gut!  Think soups, stews, easy-to-digest foods that you prepare yourself until you feel better.  Did your folks give you salad after a bout of flu?  Or did you stick with jello and broth?  I am intolerant still after three years to garlic and onions (the lactose resolved, thankfully).  You have a leaky gut (Google zonulin and Dr. Fasano who is a leading celiac researcher to verify that this is true) and that means you can become intolerant to anything (hopefully, just temporarily).   If you are 100% sure that you have had no access to gluten....did you eat out lately?.....then see your doctor.  Remember, celiac disease symptoms can change.  And here is the biggie.....it can take weeks, months or years to heal from celiac disease.  Two months in is nothing, really.  Why?  It takes time to figure out the diet and time for antibodies to come down.  celiac disease is an autoimmune disorder triggerEd by gluten.  once triggered it can go on and on damaging your gut especially with repeated glutenings (accidental or through cross contamination). I hope you feel better soon!  
    • I concur! I literally feel your pain as well. Like, at the moment, lol. Did you have an endo to see inflammation or damage? I am close to begging my GI for carafate or something to coat and protect. How about testing your antibodies to see if they are still rising? I read somewhere here rice milk may not be a good option.  Folks here have also suggested to me to stick with whole foods. Limit processed. Especially stuff that is not certified gluten-free, like chex. I think small amounts of gluten are in processed foids and can add up. I too reacted to lettuce the other day like I was ingesting glass. My sibling  had a food sensitivity panel done and it came back positive for a few things he had been eating a lot of. He can now eat them, but had to cut them out of his diet. Lettuce is probably on mine.  I have been drinking carrot and pomegranate juice,  dandelion root tea with hiney, aloe water, lots of squash, fish. Mild, no garlic, no onions or hot sauce. No coffee. It sucks.  Inflammation can tick off other organs, you mention a "Pain below". Not exactly sure which side, but certainly call your doc Monday. Sooner if the pain increases.
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Kasia2016