3 replies to this topic

#1 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 02:53 PM

Okay, since I have been sugar/dairy/caffeine free, my symptoms have diminished, except for the diarrhea, but with the Immodium, that at least has slowed somewhat.....

Today, I munched a bit on some Doritos Ranch Flavour - deliberately, it has sodium caseinate and milk ingredients in it.... Sure enough, 1/2 hour after eating some, the old burning, pain, gas came back...... I definitely think it is casein now..... the only other possibility is lactose, but I am leaning toward casein....

Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Alexolua

Alexolua

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 07:31 PM

Buy some Lactid Milk, or whatever it's called. Hrrmm.. you can buy it at stores, and it's basically Milk, but they remove the lactose or something. Have a nice big glass, and if later you feel like dying.. then it is the casein!

Err.. some bad humor in that. But I reacted exactly the same to that stuff, if it had been a normal glass of milk. That was before I knew something called casein existed, lol.

But if there were milk ingredients.. could have been some lactose too? In my non-expert opinion, I'd say get the enterolab milk testing, try Lactid, or just aviod all milk products forever.

If you think it's the casein though, and don't feel like any more testing, then go with avioding milk products. I don't know of anyway of getting around a casein intolerance.

Hope this helped! =)

#3 rattaway

rattaway

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 06:19 AM

I had a totallyGf dinner last night and still had an upset stomach. I noticed though, that there were several dairy products. I think I will try a lactose free diet for a while and see what happens.

#4 burdee

burdee

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 07:42 AM

Hey Rian: You can determine whether you have problems with lactose (milk sugar) or other dairy ingredients (like casein, milk protein, or whey) by using 'lactaid' supplements (chewable tablets) when you consume dairy or drinking 'lactaid' or 'Dairyease' milk. If you STILL have problems even after using lactaid, you're probably sensitive to other dairy ingredients and will have to avoid all dairy to prevent uncomfortable symptoms. :o
BURDEE

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: