Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

- - - - -

Gluten Free For Over 3 Months, Feeling Great!

• Please log in to reply

2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_NitaB_*

Guest_NitaB_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2004 - 10:18 PM

Hi everyone! Been away from this board for awhile. I retired and this summer has been busy with famliy, reunions, birthdays, barbecues, and our county fair with the granddaughter showing her horse! (blue ribbons!!!)

I'm happy to report that after being gluten free for over 3 months, I am feeling great! I have gained a few pounds I didn't need, by discovering I can eat ice cream and chocolate! Oh well, I hope to take it off again! :rolleyes:

You all said it would get easier to do this diet, and I want to say how right you were! I was so angry, at first, that I would never have another pizza, cheeseburger, Krispy Kreme, or birthday cake ever again. But, I got over that! Amazingly to me, I now don't miss those things! The diet just becomes a part of your life! Thank you to all who helped me get going on the right track!

I do have a question. Does anyone know if I get cross contamination, will the villi not heal, or not as fast? I seem not to be bothered by small amounts of contamination. I'm not too careful about this, when eating out. I don't eat anything, that I know of, with gluten in it. But, I don't have any symptoms, now that I've cut the obvious out. Once in awhile, I still get a sore on my elbow, like the ones I feel were DH, that I had for awhile last winter. I'm not sick ever, though, thankfully! But, I'm hoping I will still heal, with these possible contaminations, even if a bit more slowly. I don't go for another Upper GI until Feb. or after.

I have also since been diagnosed with Osteoporsis. Darn, I think I'm too young for this!!! And I itched severely when trying to take the med for it. So, I'm hoping that as the villi heal, I will be able to absorb all that calcium I'm taking! I have taken it for years, but not absorbing it, obviously. I did learn one thing frpm the Dietician, was to take my vitamins throughout the day, so as to help with absorption.

Thanks again everyone, for the great advice and support! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 09:11 AM

Yes cross contamination is a HUGE issue, you will not heal because you are still getting sources of gluten. You think having osteoperosis at your age is young, I have it and I am 14 and was diagnosed at the age 0f 12.
Molly

#3 deweyhughie

deweyhughie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 05:44 PM

Contamination sensitivity as far as symptoms goes, varies from one Celiac to the next. I know of no comprehensive studies to indicate the effects of villi when consuming small amounts of gluten.

The general consensus seems to be that other than microscopic amounts, even a little gluten is harmful to the villi. Even though you do not get any symptoms, it is probably in your own long term best interests to be as careful and diligent as you can.
Best wishes,
Dewey
Marion, IA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: