Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Department-store Quality Skincare?

6 posts in this topic

We just moved into our new house and my goodness but the lighting in the bathroom is much better here. I tried covering with makeup, but it just showed how bad my skin has gotten. Not blotchy or blemishy, but I've never really taken good care of it and it's starting to show.

I'm just wondering what everyone else here uses for skincare. I'm thinking about higher-quality skincare. Doesn't necessarily need to be from a department store. I've got a friend who sells Lame Advertisement, which I still haven't tried, but it's supposed to be gluten-free. I've also been seeing those Meaningful Beauty (Cindy Crawford) infomercials. Dermacia (Rachel Hunter) is intriguing too. But I haven't checked on the gluten-free status of them yet.

I've been thinking about getting a facial too. Does anyone know what line of skincare is gluten-free in places like that?

Thoughts?

Nancy

Ads by Google:

As far as the facial is concerned - I found a great place. It is called Salon Professional Academy. They are students but you can make sure that you get a student who is almost done with training. Some students are definitely better than others so when I find one I like I stick with them. You get a full facial for $21! They use Repechage products, all of which they have used on me are gluten-free. I have been using those products at home as well and I like them. They look at your skin under a magnifying glass and tell you which products you should use - you obviously don't have to get all of them. They have locations around the country and some in very rural places, so hopefully there is one close by.

I also like Origins. You would have to check on the gluten-free status of their stuff because I am only using their drink up moisturizing mask right now.

I use a glycerin bar from a health food store and some moisturizers from there, too. I like ones with DMAE, alpha lipoic acid, etc. (the Perricone recommendation -- anti-aging ;) ). I also use a mask with alpha hydroxy acids to smooth out my skin, but don't use them all the time.

I like this lady's attitude about beauty, but check the ingredients before you buy the products. http://informedbeauty.com/index.html

Estee Lauder will send you a list of their ingredients that contain gluten, then all you have to do is read the ingredients when you purchase a product. I use their Equalizer foundation. I sold Estee Lauder years ago, and found I like the products I'm using from the health food store, which are generally cheaper (though not cheap), just as well.

I highly recommend MyChelle products. I find them much better than department store products. Plus, they are all natural and free of harmful preservatives and toxins. I have horrible skin and this stuff works really well for me. You can get it at health food stores. They say all of their products are gluten-free. They sell a good sample kit for not too much $$ if you want to try it all out first.

http://www.mychelleusa.com/

L'uvalla Certified Organic has high end quality French skincare. Most of the products are Gluten Free. I think the only products that are not gluten-free are the age-defying cream and the eye cream. I use the hydrating milk cleanser, the eucalyptus toner, and the balancing cream. Check them out, they are the same quality as the department store brands, but organic. The website is www.luvalla.com.

i too am interested in knowing whether or not meaningful beauty is gluten free.. Anyone know? Also, what about bath and body workS?I just bought some wonderful smelling lotion from them and am finding the ingredient list hard to deciper. One ingredient caught my eye.. Bran oil... I tried looking it up on the internet and rice bran always came up in the search..

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Test Results
      Update: I am about at my wit's end. I won't be able to see my new doctor until July 17 to get a referral to a GI doctor, so I continue to eat gluten and the effects continue to worsen. Today my boss, whom I have been working with for 12 years, and I had a meeting where he said he's noticed a change in many things, such as speech, not articulating well, forgetfulness, and other things that are affecting my work product. I finally told him I know there is something wrong with me medically and I've been trying to get to the doctor to no avail. I recall those four weeks early in the year when I tried out gluten free and was beginning to feel much better- more present, more sharp, and then went back on gluten in preparation for the blood test.  I just don't think I can do this gluten thing any longer and am thinking of going cold-turkey gluten free.  I'm 54 years old, am beginning not to care about a diagnosis because I just want to feel better and be able to do what I need to do. Because of how I felt going off of gluten earlier in the year, and eating gluten free when I was on the McDougall plan years ago, and how I feel while doing this gluten challenge, I am pretty convinced that my issue is gluten.  Any words of encouragement would be welcome.  If you've done gluten free and never looked back, tell me about it. 
    • Gardasil
      "I got this vaccination in 2009 when I was 20 and it completely altered my life. Made my celiac disease so much worse, sleep 15-18 hours a day, SIBO, it has completely altered my life since getting this vaccination. My doctor has two twin girls about my age and they both have digestion problems after receiving gardasil Thank you I have a young daughter and have wondered this exact question posed by the poster and your response has given me great pause about this issue which may come up in years to come. I am sorry to hear this wreak havoc on your life, but simultaneously thank you for sharing this detail to help those of us that have likely been decades misdiagnosed celiacs now raising children. Thank you.
    • Gluten does WHAT to the brain?
      "Wondering what kind of life my brother could have had - if  he had celiac - constantly haunts me" My sympathies that is just tragic, as this story is.  I hope you are at peace knowing you are aware of your celiac and help so many lost, scared, and confused celiacs here. It can never bring back your brother but I hope it can give soften some of what you feel that was/is beyond your control. His suffering and your loss has made you a better advocate to yourself and in your work helping us. I don't like my body or my  brain on gluten either. I do fear that people overlook the toll inflammation takes on the brain. It likely may explain decades of mental illness that was brain based inflammation unknown until changes in technology advancement catch up. However consuming gluten to study how one enters psychosis may not be the best method. Do no harm.  
    • Gardasil
      I got this vaccination in 2009 when I was 20 and it completely altered my life. Made my celiac disease so much worse, sleep 15-18 hours a day, SIBO, it has completely altered my life since getting this vaccination. My doctor has two twin girls about my age and they both have digestion problems after receiving gardasil
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Jmg  »  admin

Hello Admin!
      I don't know whether this is of interest to post on your articles feed:
      http://pratt.duke.edu/about/news/window-guts-brain
      Kind Regards,
      Matt
      · 2 replies
    • celiac sharon  »  cyclinglady

Hello cycling lady, have you noticed my picture is showing up as you?  Have no idea why but it's rather disconcerting to see my picture and your words 😉  Do you know how to fix it?  You seem to have far more experience with this board than I do
      · 1 reply
    • Larry Gessner  »  cyclinglady

Hi There, I don't know if there is a place for videos in the forum. I just watched "The Truth About Gluten" I think it is a good video. I would like to share it somewhere but don't know where it should go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Here is the link if you have never watched it.
      https://youtu.be/IU6jVEwpjnE Thank You,
      Larry
      · 2 replies
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    dl2z12