5 replies to this topic

#1 jenr69

jenr69

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 04:45 AM

Hello everyone. Iím fairly new to the Celiacís forums. My Dad was diagnosed with Celiacs about 3 years ago. My (now) 20 month old daughter Vicky had her confirmatory biopsy 2 weeks ago. Vicky started showing symptoms at about 16 months or so Ė her only symptoms were poor weight gain/weight loss and the big olí belly. She dropped off the growth charts at about 18 months of age, and by then we started the testing, etc. for the Celiacs. Once her blood tests came back positive, we figured she had Celiacís, but chose to have the biopsy just to make sure. Since weíve gone gluten-free, her eating (intake) has increased dramatically. Iím amazed at how well and how much she is now choosing to eat.

I had my blood drawn on Monday and am waiting the results. Clearly, if the blood tests come back positive, it is likely that Iíve triggered the disease. I am completely symptom free, however. Also, by the end of next week, my 3.5 year old son will have his blood drawn for a test as well. He too, is completely symptom free and never has shown any problems related to eating or gaining weight. Iím just wondering how many families out there have been tested and have the ďasymptomaticĒ siblings/parents come up positive? Iím worried for myself of course, but I really would hate to see my son diagnosed. From what Iíve read, itís a 30% chance, but Iíd like to get an idea from the ďrealĒ world Ė especially in the cases where people didnít show any symptoms! Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_gliX_*

Guest_gliX_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2004 - 10:58 AM

Here's my family tree

Grandma- Non-Celiac Grandfather- We suspect
My Aunt - Celiac My Mom- Non-Celiac
My Cousins - Celiac My Family: Only I have it, no symptoms

#3 Guest_~wAvE WeT sAnD~_*

Guest_~wAvE WeT sAnD~_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2004 - 04:57 PM

LOL! My info is in my signature, but I'll describe.

Father, 50, weightlifts daily, rises at 5 am EVERY morning. Had Mono in college (like me!). Tested negative.

Mother, 51, had every almost every possible illness on earth during childhood (including croup). Tested negative. Also the picture of perfect health.

*both are on the South Beach maintenance diet.

Brother, 24, recent college graduate and (no offense to him!) purveyor of not-so-careful health practices. Voted "Most Likely Candidate for Celiac Disease" by the rest of us. Has gastrointestinal responses (diarrhea) to tomato sauce and most spicy foods (especially sauce on hot wings). Tested negative.

I really wish that a family member would join me in my gluten-free quest...but, God willing, not have to suffer like some of the other Celiacs I know (including myself).

#4 celiac3270

celiac3270

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 06:16 PM

I'm the only one in my family who has it, too.......no grandparents or parents have it......my brother tested negative, but has the gene.

#5 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 07:08 PM

My Mom has it. . .my brother has it. . .and I have it.

I have a grandmother getting tested and am advising an Aunt to, as well.

#6 lovegrov

lovegrov

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 05:40 AM

My asymptomatic father was positive. My VERY symptomatic aunt was positive. This is, this aunt is on my mother's side. So I got it from both directions.

richard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: