4 replies to this topic

#1 ADevoto

ADevoto

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 09:58 AM

I finally got our son's stool and gene test back from Enterolab. Here are the results. I have a question about the gene results - Does this mean he has multiply genes or just subtypes . It is very confusing.

Gluten sensitivity stool test - 13 units (shows sensitivity)
All other tests for normal

Gene test:
Molecular analysis - HLA-DQB1 *0201, 0602
Serologic analysuis: HLA-DQ 2, 1 (subtype 2,6)

It looks like he needs to be on the diet. Any comments? Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 3boyzmom

3boyzmom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 08:20 AM

Within each set of genes there are many subtypes. The number *0201 is the exact gene your son has. Then withthin the grouping of *02xx genes there are subtypes. Same with any of the genes, so the *0602 is the DQ1, subtype 6.

The genes pan out as follows:

DQB1 *0201 = DQ2, subtype 2

DQB1 *0602 = DQ1, subtype 6 (OR it can also be referred to as DQ6)

He has 2 genes, one from you and one from your husband. BOTH of these genes predispose someone to a gluten sensitivity. DQ2 is associated with celiac disease and gastro problems, while DQ1 is associated with gluten induced neurological problems. I would definitely take a look at you and your husband and any other children.

There are some pretty good explanations on these genes and their typing on the Braintalk forum. Here is one post that gives some links to help understand your gene naming:

Help with interpreting genetic results.

#3 ADevoto

ADevoto

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 10:26 AM

Thank you , thank you, thank you. I thought no one was ever going to reply!! That was very helpful. and actually cleared up somethings. It was very interesting that you said that that the DQ1 (I think) was tied to nuerological problems because he has many of these that we haven't been able to figure out why. Thank you so much!

#4 burdee

burdee

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 10:42 AM

Hi ADevoto: Enterolab usually adds an interpretation of test results with their lab test results email. What did they say about the genetic results? If you have questions, write to Dr. Fine at E-lab. He WILL answer your email promptly. ;)
BURDEE

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#5 ADevoto

ADevoto

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 11:51 AM

They just said that the HLA - DQ2 is the main gene that predisposes to gluten sensitivity and celiac. Can also prodisse to microscopic colitis and other autoimmune syndromes. Nothing about DQ1. But Dr. Fine did return an email to me that just said the above and that DQ1 usually doesn't lead to celiac but to sensitivity only.

I just wanted to understand more. I know that there is high % of people that are celiac that have the DQ2 gene but I really need to find the statistic that show what % of people that have the gene actually become celiac. Need more "proof" for my husband.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: