Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Gluten In Root Beer?
3 3

36 posts in this topic

I have read that root beer often has gluten. Seriously? I have read the ingredient list on a couple of different brands, and I'm just not seeing it. Does anyone know what ingredient I should be looking for? Thanks!

Ads by Google:

I can imagine anything can have gluten in it since I have seen lemonade with gluten in it. I know a&w root beer and virgil's root beer are gluten free. Virgils is my favorite and blows regular root beer away but its very pricey.

There are lots of gluten free root beers:

Barq's

caffeine free Barq's

diet Barq's

Blue Sky Root beer

A&W

Mug

Stewart's

Hires

Barq's

caffeine free Barq's

diet Barq's

Blue Sky Root beer

A&W

Mug

Stewart's

Hires

Thanks! I have somehow lived most of my life without the joy of root beer, and just when I discovered that I love it, I thought I couldn't have it!

I can imagine anything can have gluten in it since I have seen lemonade with gluten in it. I know a&w root beer and virgil's root beer are gluten free. Virgils is my favorite and blows regular root beer away but its very pricey.

OMG I love Virgil's root beer! It is pricey, so I only get it once in a while, but it is the best tasting root beer ever!!

Also, 365 whole foods brand makes a good gluten free root beer too, but not as good as Virgil's!

OMG I love Virgil's root beer! It is pricey, so I only get it once in a while, but it is the best tasting root beer ever!!

Also, 365 whole foods brand makes a good gluten free root beer too, but not as good as Virgil's!

It's my treat for certain times but its addicting. If I have one I want the whole 4 pack :D

Yikes! Which root beers and lemonades do have gluten?

IBC Rootbeer is also gluten-free. :)

Barq's

caffeine free Barq's

diet Barq's

Blue Sky Root beer

A&W

Mug

Stewart's

Hires

Are you sure about A & W? I have had a strong reaction to it.

Are you sure about A & W? I have had a strong reaction to it.

I'm doubtful too hubby has reaction too along with Mt. Dew: I have erecieved a quote from Pepsi and will post later but in Mt. Dew there vegetable oil and orange juice lol who ever would think of that ;)

we stick with Sprite only now but will look for the Virgil's RB thanks!

A Message from Consumer Relations 011391359A

Dear Belinda,

Thank you for contacting us here at the Pepsi-Cola Company regarding

our product ingredients.

Here at Pepsi, we only use ingredients that are fully approved and

deemed safe for use in foods by the Food and Drug Administration.

There is no gluten in any soft drink produced by Pepsi-Cola Company in

North America. Although high fructose corn syrup is derived from corn,

the technology used in making this sweetener completely removes the

protein fractions, leaving no residuals in the finished sweetener.

If we can be of further assistance to you, please don

Is A&W owned by Pepsi?

Wikipedia claims Cadbury Schweppes Americas Beverages.

I reacted to IBC...boyfriend unwittingly gave it to me...he'd never noticed that when I actually order soda (I'm not big on it), that I ask the brand...

Also-- I watched a TV show on the Food Network and it showed how they make good old fashioned root beer and it had barley or something major like that in there! I was so ticked!

I have read that root beer often has gluten. Seriously? I have read the ingredient list on a couple of different brands, and I'm just not seeing it. Does anyone know what ingredient I should be looking for? Thanks!

Definitely be careful! Caramel is the ingredient. I know Coke products can be considered gluten-free by the company if they have 0.2% gluten or less. However, this means if you consume more than one, you're at a risk. I made that mistake.

Definitely be careful! Caramel is the ingredient. I know Coke products can be considered gluten-free by the company if they have 0.2% gluten or less. However, this means if you consume more than one, you're at a risk. I made that mistake.

I am having a reaction as I type this. I had probably about 1/2 cup of Barqs. I didn't even think to look, but I am very reactive and also have DH. Itching all over and have horrible headache and brain fog. I think it's the Carmel color. I seem to react to it in other things and I don't see anything else on there that I would react to...seem to be pretty darn sensitve though. Just started itching and have had gas for the last 6 hours, my lips start to get really chapped feeling too. Need to take benedryl too as I have an "allergic" hayfever type reaction. Drank it at about 6pm and it is almost 4am. I will be up all night! :blink:

Caramel color is one of those celiac urban myths that just won't go away.

Here is Shelley Case's take on it, from Gluten-Free Diet A Comprehensive Resource Guide:

Although gluten-containing ingredients (barley malt syrup and starch hydrolysates) can be used in the production of caramel color, North American companies use corn as it has a longer shelf life and makes a superior product. European companies use glucose derived from wheat starch, however caramel color is highly processed and contains no gluten.
[Emphasis in original]

Im reacting to Mug root beer right now.

Kill me :(

I reacted this weekend to Barq's root beer. UGH!!!!

According to Clan Thompson's Celiac Food SmartList, the following root beer brands are gluten free:

A&W, regular and diet (10/06/2009)

Barq's, caffeine free, regular, and diet (3/23/2009)

Mug Root Beer, regular and diet (12/3/2009)

There are a lot more listed, but these were the brands I saw mentioned on this thread.

I'm very new to a gluten-free diet and I've discovered I had a reaction to Mugs diet root beer. Very upseting since I love it so much. I didn't realize it at first, but I had major fogginess and then an intense headache. Can anyone explain the ingredient that I should look out for in other sodas? I've read the Mugs diet RB ingredients and I can't figure it out. Thanks!!

I am not aware of any brand of root beer that contains gluten. There are other things in sodas that can cause a reaction in some people.

I have been getting glutenized and it might be the A&W I've been sipping from my husbands can. Which would also explain why he has that rash again... (he is also gluten-free).

I didn't think of the coloring. I thought it might be the vanilla. The more I think about the corn factor though the more I realize it is just not worth trying to drink. Yuck. Maybe now I can finally ditch this headache I've been brewing before it gets to full blown migraine levels.

Thanks, this thread was very helpful!

I am not aware of any brand of root beer that contains gluten. There are other things in sodas that can cause a reaction in some people.

Mug says clearly at its website that it's gluten-free, and several of you have confirmed that. But what about DIET Mug root beer? I'm not finding anything specific. I had what I call a "celiac attack" 2 nights ago and trying to figure out the source. Diet Mug root beer could be the culprit. Thanks for any info.

Mug says clearly at its website that it's gluten-free, and several of you have confirmed that. But what about DIET Mug root beer? I'm not finding anything specific. I had what I call a "celiac attack" 2 nights ago and trying to figure out the source. Diet Mug root beer could be the culprit. Thanks for any info.

Not likely to have gluten. Barley malt as a sweetener would add calories, forgone thing. And it pull be listed in the ingredients. I have Celiac type symptoms from some of the artificial sweeteners.

mug root beer is my go to laxaxtive .. just sayin :-D no brain fog though like i normally get with gluten

I was glutened by root bear once. I beleive it was Barks Rootbeer and one of the ingredients in it was modified food starch.

If there is anything like food starch, or starch without stating what the source of the starch is, just assume it is wheat.

I only drank about an inch from the bottle and I was sick for three days.