1 reply to this topic

#1 LynnR

LynnR

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 06:10 AM

Part of my celiac disease symtoms is chronic indigestion. I have been taking digestive enzymes but they don't seem to be working at all. Everytime I eat (no matter what I eat) I can feel it just sitting there. Or sometimes it just runs right out of me.

I feel if I could just get rid of the indigestion many of my other sysmptoms would probably get better. Could this mean that my intestines are going to take a long time to heal maybe because they are so damaged?

I haven't been on the gluten free diet too long. I now know that I probably had celiac disease and/or the symptoms of it several years or about all my life.
~Lynn
Negative Biopsy 11/00
Blood Work 11/16/04 - Still Waiting for Results
gluten-free since 11/10/04

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lovegrov

lovegrov

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 07:01 AM

You've been gluten-free for just three weeks, which isn't enough time to heal hardly at all. Some people notice an immediate difference while others take months and months. In my case, I was able to eat again right away (and I never really had the diarrhea problem) but it was 10 weeks before I could return to work and several months before I could resume a normal life. If I had a more physical job it would have been a lot longer before I could have worked.

When you say digestive enzymes, is that the same as probiotics? If not, you might also consider probiotics.

Relax. I know it's hard to feel so bad (weeks and weeks after I went gluten-free I sat on my bed one day crying because I was SOOOO tired of being sick; scared my 14-year-old daughter to death), but the vast majority of people, even those who probably had it for a long time, heal completely.

richard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: