This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Need Recipes Using Egg Yokes

Katydid

Katydid Apprentice

I have recently been baking a lot of a new French Bread Recipe; not only for bread, but also to make sub sandwiches It is absolutely marvelous. The only problem is it uses 3 egg whites and I don't know what to with all the egg yokes, short of putting them down the garbase disposal.

Does anyone have any recipes to help me use up my egg yokes instead of throwing them out? Many thanks.

Kay

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

Well, you could always use them for scrambled eggs. But in German pudding recipes they are used as a thickener. But here is a fabulous lemon/lime mousse recipe that uses egg yolks.

Lemon Lime Mousse Recipe

Ready in: 2-5 hrs

Serves/Makes: 6 (more like 4)

Ingredients:

1/2 cup sugar (or 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup)

2 tablespoons cornstarch or other starch (I've tried arrowroot, and it works)

1 pinch salt

3 egg yolks

(3 egg whites - optional, I use them because I didn't want to waste the egg whites!)

2/3 cup milk/rice milk

1/4 cup lemon juice

1 tablespoon lime juice (or all lime juice)

1 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel

1/2 teaspoon grated lime peel

1 cup heavy whipping cream – whipped (can be omitted), you can use non-dairy whipped topping instead

lime slices and additional lemon/lime peel -- optional

Directions:

In a saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks and milk; stir into sugar mixture. Add juices; whisk until smooth.

Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Add lemon and lime peel.

(Whip egg whites until stiff peaks form, add some sugar and whip again. Fold into pudding. Optional)

Cover surface with plastic wrap; refrigerate until completely cooled. Fold in whipped cream (the canned stuff is fine, and it doesn‘t have to be as much as the recipe calls for). Spoon into individual dishes. Garnish with lime slices and lemon peel if desired.

I've made this a couple of times for company, and they loved it!

RiceGuy Collaborator

As I recall, many custards use egg yokes. So does traditional eggnog.

I guess you could also put some in with whole eggs when making French toast, crepes, scrambled eggs, etc, and it would be like having double yokes.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

It's always good to hold onto the yolk, that's where all the vitamins are, so you don't want to lose that part. I found at least four dessert recipes on Allrecipes for egg yolks, and you could also go crazy with the hollandaise, which they also have recipes for in the blender! And of course, you could put it into some other scrambled eggs. I'd probably try to sunny-side them and put them on toast, my favorite thing is runny egg yolk on toast.

cruelshoes Enthusiast

We have 6 chickens, so I know all about having extra eggs in the house. :lol: Here are some of my favorite ways to use up yolks.

Open Original Shared Link - this takes 12 yolks, so you might want to make half a batch.

Open Original Shared Link - The absolute best pie crust I have had since going gluten-free. It takes 1 egg and 2 yolks. I make several batches at a time and freeze the dough balls. Then I pull one out when I want to make a quiche or pie or whatever.

Open Original Shared Link on freezing them.

Katydid Apprentice

Wow! Thanks so much for the great ideas for using my egg yokes. I certainly won't be throwing anymore away.

I was particularly excited about the info on freezing them. I had wondered about that, but now I have the directions. How cool!

This forum is so marvelous...I just knew someone could help me out.

Kay

Archived