5 replies to this topic

#1 SharonF

SharonF

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 09:26 AM

2004 was a crazy year for my family. First I was diagnosed with celiac, then my mom with hypothyroidism, then my sister wtih hyPERthyroidism. My sister's doctor says that immune diseases can show up in different forms in families. This is fascinating to me.

Does anyone else have experience with different autoimmune diseases in your families?

I worry I'll pass something along to my kids.
Mom of 3
Diagnosed celiac August 2004

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Janice C

Janice C

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 09:46 AM

My sister has Type 1 diabetes. A cousin has celiac disease, and I suspect her brother does, too. Another cousin has Crohns. ( That looks misspelle.) I wonder if she is really a celiac.

#3 Happycat

Happycat

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 10:46 AM

I have hypothyroidism and chronic hives (5 months now), my son (12) has the thyroid antibodies and is on synthroid too. My 16 yr old has vitiligo, an autoimmune skin disease. My oldest son is gluten intolerant, he had positive blood IgG and tested positive with enterolab. Three of my 4 sons have thyroid antibodies. They have to be watched for Hashimotos thyroiditis.

The funny thing is neither of my parents or to our knowledge my grandparents have any autoimmune diseases! I don't know where it came from. The doctor said I inherited my lovely autoimmune diseases but I have no idea from who.

Lisa :blink:

#4 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 11:09 AM

Since you have Celiac Disease you can pass it on to your children.

My Mother, brother, and I all have Celiacs.

#5 poodlethree

poodlethree

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 08:39 AM

I have Celiac and Hashimotos Throiditis. My son has Celiac. My mother has Crohns and my brother has Diabetes. We are not in the process of getting my daughter, sister and her daughter tested for Celiac. They all have symptoms and have had them for a while now.

I was told that Celiac is known to be passed on in families. Our family does seem to have quite a bit of autoimmune problems.

Hope this info helps.

Kathy B

#6 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 09:32 AM

I have celiac, my dad has thyroid issues along with my mom. My mom has a severe allergy to wheat but tested negative for celiac. Crohns runs in my dads family, thryoid disease runs in my moms family. My uncle, grandma, and 2 cousins we think need to get tested for celiac because they have alot of the symptoms.

I think that many people in my family have celiac, some are willing to get tested, others I don't think would really follow the diet correctly

I think it def. does run in families though
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: