2 replies to this topic

#1 jodeesue

jodeesue

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 January 2004 - 09:49 AM

can anyone tell me if this (whey) is something I should not be consuming and what really is it?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 03 January 2004 - 10:18 AM

Whey is a milk protein. It is gluten free, but if you are sensitive to dairy, then you shouldn't have it. Many newly diagnosed celiacs just starting on the gluten free diet might need to avoid dairy for a while during the initial healing process, then can try adding it slowly back in. I am casein intolerant as well as gluten intolerant. Casein is a protein in milk that has a similar molecular structure to gluten, and so I have to avoid dairy forever. Many celiacs are also casein intolerant, but you would need to either have a test for it, or try an elimination diet to see if dairy bothers you.
God bless.
Mariann

#3 wclemens

wclemens

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 03 January 2004 - 11:04 PM

"Little Miss Muffet sat on her tuffet, eating her curds and whey..." I wonder if she wheezed after her meal? That's exactly what I do when eating this milk-related protein, as well as when I ingest casein, butter, cheese, or any other product that is milk or dairy. I learned to avoid wheat and all other grains, then moved on to milk and dairy, then egg whites and yeast. Since I've been discovering these allergies for the past 30 years, I never even knew what casein or whey were either, so, of course, learned the hard way. Now I am reading about the two on a lot of posts, and that is great. Welda

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: