4 replies to this topic

#1 cinderellad

cinderellad

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 03:41 PM

I have been symptomatic for 2 1/2 years but only recently diagnosed. I had negative blood work and positive biopsy. My biopsy actually read "treated celiacs disease. This may be because my rhuematologist mentioned that he felt I had celiacs or Crohns disease and I somewhat altered my diet (breads, pasta, bakery items). A few years ago I had lost about 10 pounds, my hair starting falling out and I had horrible knee pain. The weight and hair loss were attributed to "stress" and the knee pain was thought to be arthritis due to years of running and cartilage damage. After being seen by two orthopedist, having Hylagan injections and no relief I was sent to a rhuematologist that evaluated me and referred me on to a gastroenterologist. I also had 9 months of stomach pain, and woke most nights in a sweat so sleep deprivation became an issue also. I started to see a therapist in the middle of all of this because every time I mentioned my symptoms to friends/family they informed me that it was "stress" and I was doing this to myself. I began to think I must be really nuts if I could inflict all of this on myself and not be able to get it under control. After being on the diet for the past 3 weeks, my pain is mostly gone, the night sweats are gone, my hands are not swelling , I can almost bend my toes painlessly and I am sleeping better. However, my hair is still falling out, I am very tired, and my gums have started bleeding when I brush. If anyone can recommend any vitamins/dosage I would appreciate your help. I currently take a multivitamin specifically for hair/skin/nails and glucosamine.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ianm

ianm

Metal God

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 07:06 PM

Welcome. I find liquid minerals to be the best thing for me. I get the New Vision brand. www.newvision.com. Liquid vitamins didn't seem to make much difference for me but some people here swear by them. I take vitamin pills that are gluten-free. I used to get night sweats by the bucket full but those are gone now. 3 weeks is not enough time. It seems to take about an average of 3 months for things to really improve and a good year to become healthy. Keep at it because it is worth it.
If all the world is indeed a stage and we are merely players then will someone give me the script because I have no f!@#$%^ clue as to what is going on!

What does not kill you makes you stronger.
Nobody cares about losers and quitters never win. If you fail with the cowards then what's the message you send?
Can't get it right, no matter what I do. Might as well be me and keep fu@$ing up for you. - Brian Thomas (Halloween, the greatest metal band ever!)

Ian Moore. Self diagnosed at 36 because the doctors were clueless.
Started low-carb diet early 2004, felt better but not totally gluten-free. Went 100% gluten-free early 2005 and life has never been better.

#3 celiac3270

celiac3270

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 03:17 AM

Centrum is gluten-free and I'd recommend that.

I'd also recommend that you start taking a folic acid supplement

#4 Lesliean

Lesliean

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 08:42 AM

Isn't it like a wonderful miracle to feel all around better? Celiac can lower bone density so while the intestines heal it can help to be careful to get enough calcium. Anemia also is common as is B vitamin complex deficency, especially B12. Some people take sublingual B12. I like Centrum Silver because it is cheap and gluten-free. Some people like to add fish oil but I forget what they are adding back-just that they said it helped a lot. I love glucosamine. My knees don't crack anymore. Maybe it would help your joints. I know someone with arthritis (a common side effect of Celiac disease!) who found great relief in glucosamine (1500mg a day). If your stomach gives you trouble, some people like DGL licorice which is sold in health food stores and helps with the gassiness or burping. I drink a lot of green tea and medicinal teas like ginger and licorice.

My running was getting so difficult I thought maybe I was just getting old, but it was really just Celiac disease and I feel better than I have felt in 10 years.
Leslie

#5 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 08:47 AM

I like the liquid vitamins especially while intestines are healing because of the way it absorbs in your body. I use Liquid Vitamins Plus by Utrition.

It is probably good to take sublingual B12 vitamins too.

Other things that help are probiotics and enzymes...with the combo of what I took while I was healing it really gave me a boost.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: