3 replies to this topic

#1 Traveller

Traveller

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 04:01 PM

While visiting in New York I went to dinner at an East Side restaurant that happened to be a part of a large, well known national chain. I ordered a steak off of the gluten free menu and was surprised when it was delivered with au jus. I've never been served the au jus with a gluten free meal in any of the chains other restaurants.

Thinking asking was better than paying the penalty for ignorance, I asked the waiter about the au jus. He went and asked the manager, who said:

1) The au jus is naturally gluten free, but the pan in which they trap it may not be.

2) If it's contaminated, it's only a little contaminated.

3) Because 9 out of 10 of the gluten-free diners don't react to it, they serve it with the meat.

The manager offered another meal if I felt uncomfortable with the one they prepared. I accepted the offer.

I wonder how many complaints the manager gets, versus how many people simply never return.

I also wonder if the 9 of 10 metric reflects East Siders adopting the diet for its fad value. I can see that; what I vehemently disagree with is serving the au jus based on "only" 1 of 10 being poisoned.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Mtndog

Mtndog

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,254 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 05:00 PM

That is just bizarre- they are going to have a SERIOUS problem if someone is allergic (anaphylactic shock allergic) to gluten!
Beverly

Gluten free since 2005

In the midst of winter, I found there was within me an invincible summer.
Albert Careb

Posted Image

#3 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 02:41 AM

Au Jus is gluten free it is simply the juices from the meat cooked down a bit. HOWEVER if it is prepared in a pan that isn't safe it is not gluten free. I wouldn't have touched it either
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#4 homemaker

homemaker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 03:33 AM

Yeah I can relate...I had a waiter say to me, don't worry there is only a little wheat in that entree...that little bit shouldn't bother you...
Grrrrr....they don't get it....
Constipation, Gas, Bloating, Abdominal Pain, Ataxia, Brain Fog, Joint Pain Headaches
Bloodwork Negative
Went gluten free 10/02/09
Immediate and Positive intestinal improvement with improvement in headache frequency
Enterolab results 11/23/09 (after one month gluten free)
Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA 10 units
Fecal Anti-gliadin IgA 9 units
Fecal Fat 1267 units
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1: 0201
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2: 0202
Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,2 (Subtype 2,2)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: