1 reply to this topic

#1 L13

L13

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 03:52 AM

I just got my biopsy and pretty sure it will come back positive. Haven't heard anything yet. I miscarried at the beginning of the this year (March 09) and was 8.5 weeks. I didn't know that it could have been b/c of celiac disease.
I am concerned b/c I have a 3.5 & 5.5 year old and want another child. We were already supposed to start trying. I read 2 months of Gluten-Free and you could try again. Has anyone heard that? My doctor is saying 5-6 months from now. I know to him that is not a big deal but it is to me. However, if it means not another miscarriage - or other issues then it is worth it. I just don't know if I want to wait and if we "have" to I may be done. I don't want a large span of time b/w kids. I have 2 sisters and we are very close whereas my husband has 2 siblings and they don't even talk about they are 5 years apart. I know each family is different and there are so many stories but I want them to share growing up together. I don't know I am annoyed and confused. He is also saying he wants to do ANOTHER biopsy to check my status after those 5-6 months. Can't he just do another blood screening. I think that is a LITTLE invasive! :angry:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 brigala

brigala

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 12:37 PM

I would wait the 5-6 months. The first couple months gluten-free are just a learning period. You'll be making a lot of mistakes and still getting gluten during that time. Also, if you are going to consent to your doctor's suggestion of a follow-up biopsy (this is standard, by the way, and I think it's important), it would make sense not to be pregnant when you go in for the biopsy.

Your best chance of a healthy pregnancy will be if you are both well-established in the gluten-free diet to minimize your exposure to gluten during pregnancy and also if your gut is well-healed enough to be able to absorb the nutrients you need from your food. This is why there are two good reasons for waiting -- one for establishing yourself on the diet and the other because you can check the intestines for a "status report" to see how well they're doing.

gluten-free since mid-2007.
Symptoms: "IBS," chronic fatigue, chronic pain. 

Celiac is a family affair for us; my mom, sister, and one of my sons are gluten free. At least it makes holiday gatherings easier. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: