Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Gaining Massive Amount Of Weight Overnight!

• Please log in to reply

25 replies to this topic

#16 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2005 - 12:33 PM

The idea about three sizes of clothes is great! I got glutened last week and I just lost 5 pounds today in 5 minutes (in the toilet. Ouch! :P ) At least my three favorite pairs of jeans are stretch. Oh the things we go through!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Guest_Viola_*

Guest_Viola_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2005 - 01:03 PM

Yup Donna, you should put that into the "You might be a Celiac" list :lol: You can add a little Spandex to it too.

#18 UIDancer

UIDancer

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 01:12 PM

This is wishful thinking, but does anyone have any tips on reducing the bloating? I recently got glutened AND I'm on my period this week, so it's a double whammy. I haven't been able to eat much which is helping but any suggestions are welcome!!

#19 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2005 - 02:14 PM

other than drinking a ton of water... nope.

#20 egardner

egardner

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 04:32 PM

Make sure if you are a "gainer" you have your thyroid checked regularly, not just once in awhile. Keep in mind the thyroid levels go up and down all day and it can be hard to pin an underactive one. My doctor said the "NEW CELIAC", which is the most commonly diagnosed as of current, is a weight gainer with associated thyroid deficits, and that is why people are having to live with misery, because doctors have always been educated to losing only. My dietician is great and she said to get used to eating gluten free first, and then slowly bring yourself to 1200 calories a day with exercise, she said avoid commercial weight loss systems like Weight Watchers because they don't have enough choices for us, and she said to write down what you eat. Also, if you bloat abdly, try a gas aide or if neccesary, a diuretic. Holding fluids is bad for your electrolytes, which keep the whole body system in check. Hope that helps, from an experienced gainer herself! ;)

#21 Guest_gfinnebraska_*

Guest_gfinnebraska_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2005 - 07:30 AM

LOL I am dying laughing!!! I am SO much like cdford... I have 4 sizes of clothes... 4, 6, 8, 10!! Hahahaha!! Which one I wear depends on the health/condition of my celiac disease. NOT a fun way to live...

Thanks for the thyroid advice. I do need to have mine checked again. I am doing the SCD diet, and have lost 30 lbs. (yeah!!!), so the bloat is almost gone, but I still need to see if the thyroid is a factor.

AND, I LOVE spandex!!! Almost all of my pants have spandex. It is SO great!!! I am wearing a pair now! :) Cropped spandex pants ~ does life get any better??!!?? ;)

#22 bean

bean

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 02:57 PM

I wear multiple sizes too :) 4 - 6 - and after a big carb day (even if they are gluten-free!) 8! Ugh!

This is kinda unrelated but I thought it might make you laugh :)

http://www.iamlost.com/features/pact/

Be sure to roll your cursor over the pictures ;)

- Michelle :wub:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Michelle :)

Positive blood tests 4/29/05 (tTG & IgA)
*Osteoporosis (at 32!)
*Heartburn/Reflux (*ouch!*)
*Lifelong battle w/depression
*Dental enamel didn't form right when I was little (cavities cavities cavities)
*Neuropsych analysis lists all sorts of learning disabilities - which may be attributed to brain injury from an old accident or may be from celiac, who knows!

Had biopsy May 11th, 2005 - villi are FLAT! :(
gluten-free since May 11th :)

#23 ruddabega

ruddabega

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 10:46 PM

Yeah, I am totally frustrated...as far as I know, I am totally gluten-free but keep gaining weight, even with exercise. My stomach is so distended all the time. It has gotten much worse the past year. I can't wait to get my clothes off some days just to feel comfortable! B)

I have been gluten-free for 7 months and sugar, fruit and dairy free for 4 months. I am still 7 lbs. heavier than before this all started... I eat really well and dance about 4 hours a week... help!
Camila
Camila

Dixon, California (near Sacramento)
18 years old
Diagnosed by blood and biopsy Nov. 2004
gluten-free since Nov. 2004
continual digestive problems
Crohn's disease diagnosed 1/8/06

#24 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2005 - 11:28 AM

That link was a howl! I guess we have to face the fact that as we get older our bodies change and it's harder to lose too. :angry: I have the double whammy going too- premenstrual and I got glutened. I went up 5 pounds in a day- ugh!

#25 pugsnapps

pugsnapps

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 10:34 AM

I'm Hypo-Thyroid & Celiac too.

I was very skinny thru my late teens/early twenties and then just started packing on the pounds (60lbs in 10 yrs). I was diagnosed with both of the issues within a few months of each other about two years ago. I did lose a little of the weight initially just by going on the gluten free diet and taking thryroid replacement therapy. That all stopped though when I discovered the very fatty/sugary delicious gluten free treats. My down fall was "Bob's Red Mill - Gluten Free Brownies" (Giradelli Cocoa & Cream Cheese).. They are heavenly :P . All the weight I initially lost came back, plus a few pounds :( .

Thankfully, I now have resorted to freezing the left overs. However, I am still struggling with my weight. Add to that the 5-10 lbs I gain when I am glutened and it was pretty depressing. However, I seem to have stumbled on something that seems to be working great... yes it is another "life style" change. I've lost 20lbs so far... Just 40 more to go :D . I based my "life style" change on info from a personal trainer/dietitian and principle concepts from the book "Body for Life for Women" . I eat 5-6 meals a day (3 meals and 2-3 snacks every 2-3 hrs, nothing after 8PM), Strict portion control (you don't need as much since you are eating more often). One day a week I do whatever I want, but the rest of the week I avoid - breads (easy), white rice & refined sugar. I eat whatever low fat protiens, low starch fruits & veggies I want. Plus, I'm taking my vitamins daily, lots of water and exercise 2 - 5 times a week. I shoot for 5 days a week, but sometimes I can only get it in 2 times a week. I feel better than I have in years... Just as long as I avoid the gluten.

Hope this helps.

#26 anniej55

anniej55

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 05:56 PM

Well thank you all for the answer to my question - I've gained 10 pounds in about 3 days. And I was glutened by my shampoo. You would think that all the time I've spent in the bathroom would have taken care of the weight gain, but NOOOOOOOOOO. :P And yes, I'm bloated.

I'll begin exercising when I get the OK from the doctor - I've also been diagnosed with ITP and my (un) professional medical opinion is that it flares up when I've been glutened; thus I have a huge bruise on my arm, but no pain. Just a little leery of working out until this is all resolved.

Ann

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: