1 reply to this topic

#1 BRUMI1968

BRUMI1968

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 09:11 AM

Hi all. Wondering if raw sauerkraut, which is made from cabbage, would be allowed on low fodmap. So far, low fodmap has really helped my bloating. I made a mistake with onions and it showed, and then yesterday I got bloated for a spell for no good fodmap reason....

Anyway, I'm also struggling with low iron so am adding meat back into my diet, but like to eat it with raw sauerkraut to help me digest it - any thoughts. Also, apple cider vinegar (to raise my stomach acid) - that's made from apples, but would a tiny bit be allowed?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 gf_soph

gf_soph

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 07:02 PM

I'm looking into fodmap again after trying it out last year, one of the articles I have lists cabbage as an unfavourable food as it contains "raffinose and other galacto-oligosaccharides". Of course, you can always trial a little at a time and see how you react, the negatives of having a little extra raffinose in your system may be outweighed by better digestion of the meat.

If you're interested the article is "Clinical Ramifications of Malabsorption of Fructose and Other Short-chain Carbohydrates" from NUTRITION ISSUES IN GASTROENTEROLOGY. It's a good article which has a lot of information about the diet.

Apples are a problem as there is more fructose than glucose. It's hard to know what balance of glucose and fructose survives in apple cider vinegar, but if you want to make sure it's safe you could try adding a little table sugar to it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: