4 replies to this topic

#1 KB11

KB11

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 03:42 PM

My two younger cousins just found out that they had celiac disease. They are ages 7 and 10. My aunt and uncle told us that our family should be tested. I am the youngest of my family(19). Is there anyway that we have it. I'm pretty sure none of us have the symptoms, but would it be better to know. I'm just trying to help my mom learn more and to figure stuff out. Thanks a lot!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 04:08 PM

Celiac Disease does run in families. Your cousins could have inherited from their mother or fathers side. If they inherited it from the side connected to you then there is a chance you and your family could have it, too. Not everyone has symptoms or shows them right away. Sometimes people show nothing or have a few periods in their life where they are sick but then well. It doesn't hurt to get tested.

#3 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 04:18 PM

Yes, get tested...it is genetic. You don't have to have any symptoms at all with celiac so you won't be able to tell by that. Better tested to find out now if you have it or not
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#4 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 04:50 PM

As noted, it is genetic. Your chances are not as high as your aunt's or uncle's, but higher than the general population. (I believe second degree relatives are 1 in 44, but I can't quite recall what the odds with third degree relatives are...)

Symptoms need not be obvious, or even particularly present at this point in time. But on the off chance that you do have it, it is much better to find out now before it causes serious medical problems in the future.

Good luck!
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#5 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 06:31 PM

If no one else in your family has celiac other than your cousins, then it will be very hard to know which side of the family the gene is on. I would recommend getting the celiac blood panel and a celiac gene test (to see if you have the gene for celiac).
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: