#1 SadiesMomma

SadiesMomma

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 07:30 AM

Good morning everyone,

Okay heres my new thing. I went to the doctor yesterday (again) and explained my pains/problems and what not and was asking about why my tests a year ago came back neg. eventhough the gluten-free diet helps so much. She looked into my charts and my doctor showed that my old doctor only did one of the 3 blood tests. Uugh, should have done them all at once. They still incist that my wheat allergies would have showed up even though I had been gluten-free.... whatever.

Long story short, they referred me to a gasterolinterologist (i killed that spelling huh!) so Im on the ball to a recovery. Scared as hell though. :unsure: I absolutely hate doctors.

My doctor said that since I had previously been diagnosed with IBS that she could help me with the cramping and all that stomach crap with a medication called.. (Ill name it Esactly how it is on the label) "DICYCLOMINE 20MG TAB (MYLAN)". When I asked she said that she was pretty sure that it was gluten-free....

I dont know about you but "pretty sure" isn't good enough for me. I looked on the celiac medications page and it wasnt there... Does that mean that it is forsurely not gluten-free. Or are there more that arent on there because they arent common.

Also... Have any of you taken this medication If so how did you react to it? Did it even help? Did it cause more diarreah or constipation? I tried researching it online but I didnt find much.

THANKS!!!!! :)
~*HEATHER*~
Living gluten-free, Egg, Dairy, Nut, Soy, and Corn Free since Winter/Spring 2003

Fathers be good to your daughters,
Daughters will love like you do,
Girls become lovers who turn in Mothers,
So mothers be good to your daughters too.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_gillian502_*

Guest_gillian502_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2004 - 12:31 PM

I took dicyclomine (brand name is bentyl) for about 2 months, 3 times a day. It had no side effects that I noticed and seemed to be a very safe drug. It's the same drug they sometimes give to newborns who have colic and stomach pain. The only complaint I had with dicyclomine is that it isn't particularly effective. The one thing it did do was slow down my bowel movements, so I went every other day instead of once or twice every day. It tells you to take it before meals, I think, but I felt best taking it with or just after meals. I stopped taking it simply because it didn't really change my symptoms and I figured why be on it if it isn't really helping, but for you it may be very effective. Congrats on being referred to a GI doc, that will point you in the right direction!

Oh, and P.S., it is gluten-free, at least when I called the company they said it was! But maybe a lot of companies manufacture it and it could be different, call your pharmacy and get the listing of who they get their dicyclomine from, then call and double check.

#3 SadiesMomma

SadiesMomma

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 04:29 PM

:D Thanks so much for your input. I am always peranoid how things will effect me when I eat them or take medications... I guess I wont know if I dont try it. I do hope to see results.
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
~*HEATHER*~
Living gluten-free, Egg, Dairy, Nut, Soy, and Corn Free since Winter/Spring 2003

Fathers be good to your daughters,
Daughters will love like you do,
Girls become lovers who turn in Mothers,
So mothers be good to your daughters too.

#4 jenni

jenni

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 09:25 AM

My gastroenterologist (sp?) also prescribed it to me and he diagnosed my celiac disease so it better be gluten-free! It makes me soooooooo sleepy. Jenni

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: