5 replies to this topic

#1 seagreen

seagreen

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:02 AM

I've just recently been diagnosed with gluten intolerance. I've experienced social anxiety as far back as I can remember, as well as having some issues with OCD. In the past four months of eliminating gluten, I've noticed that the persistent brain fog has diminished and my anxiety has gone down to manageable levels.
WELL, for some reason I thought China Buffet was a good idea last week. WRONG. I managed to get myself glutened and my old symptoms showed back up. Its like I could feel my brain become inflamed. It's the strangest feeling, I used to call it "brain squeeze", because that's exactly what it feels like. Now I know what it's from. I also have had the same old anxiety where I couldn't look anyone in the eye and paranoia concerning people judging me. I ALSO had mood swings where I just wanted to burst out crying and irritability.
It's been five days and it's like my head comes in and out from this foggy haze. I wake up and think I'll be okay for the day and it comes back again. How long does this last?? I like feeling normal!
I'm never eating out again.
Ha.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:36 AM

Hi and welcome. I get that feeling from gluten. For me the gluten anxiety reaction goes for 3 or 4 days, sometimes 5. It helps me to take fish oil and extra B12.

#3 seagreen

seagreen

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 03:41 PM

Thanks so much for your suggestion! I do take some B-12 in a Multi, but what gluten free brand would you suggest as a separate supplement? This brain fog is still making its dreaded appearance and is driving me bonkers. :wacko: I feel like my IQ has plummeted, which is no good for being in school.

#4 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 05:58 PM

Look for sublingual methylcobalamin. I haven't really seen gluten in single vitamin pills very often so just look at the ingredients. I've been taking the Natural Factors 1000 mcg sublingual. It doesn't have any gluten ingredients but it DOES have lactose in the tablet.

I'm really sorry to hear that you're still not feeling better!

#5 PT2B

PT2B

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 05:29 PM

i know the brain fog feeling as well. I find just eating a whole lot of fruits and vegetables. and as much fiber as you can while still eating food bc fiber does grab some of your minerals naturally. Thats why its always better to get your fiber from veggies and such vs what i use sometimes (psyllium husk fiber capsules).
I approach is clean it out. And if you feel the fog the same way as me I would drink some caffeine to be functional and get some exercise bc that will also aid with flow.
Good luck!

#6 MegRie

MegRie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:48 PM

Oh my gosh! I know the brain fog all too well (something that is so hard to describe to anyone who has never experienced it). First I would say as a general rule of thumb I NEVER EAT AT A BUFFET. And I actually avoid Chinese restaurants all together unless with the excetpion of pei wei and P.F. Changs (which has great Gluten-Free options and they put it on a different colored plate so you know that they heard you).
As far as recovery goes I usually have pretty bad symptoms for about two weeks before I start noticing much improvement. Sorry :( It really sucks! Hope you feel better soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: