Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Sick And Suspicious

4 posts in this topic

Hey everyone! I am glad to have stumbled onto this site! I really appreciate the wealth of information and the sense of community here. I am a newbie and have posted under a few different topics already. I hope to not repeat myself, but I wanted to share my personal history to see if any of you think my symptoms/diagnoses (please see my signature or other posts) warrant testing for Celiac Disease or not. I am a 34-year-old female, but my health started to deteriorate 7 years ago. In late Sept.'05, I developed what I thought at the time was a stomach virus. I had pretty intense abdominal pain that radiated to my back and diarrhea. I purchased some Imodium and went about my day. My symptoms lasted throughout the day, only to stop the next, and then return again. My symptoms continued so I consulted a gastroenterologist. In Jan. '06, I had an endoscopy and colonoscopy. I was diagnosed with IBS. I left the office with a pamphlet and a RX for Hyoscyamine. My abdominal pain and diarrhea continued for the next seven years (until present day). I finally discontinued the Hyoscyamine in Aug. '07 due to its ineffectiveness. I might as well have taken a placebo. I was diagnosed w/ hypothyroidism in Oct. '08 and put on Synthroid. While I am thankful to have had an astute physician recommend testing my thyroid (I know some women aren't as lucky), I am frustrated that I do not know the cause of my thyroid disease or my IBS. I am curious to know if it is Hashimoto's or not and furthermore whether gluten is the culprit. I have developed additional symptoms over the years, namely unidentified rashes, unexplained bruising, acid reflux, and lactose intolerance. I am slightly overweight and experience constipation as well, but my view is that w/ having an underactive thyroid, these symptoms don't negate Celiac Disease. My latest complaint is sciatica-type back pain. Let's just say my heating pad is my new best friend! What brought me to the suspicion of Celiac Disease or even gluten sensitivity again is that I picked up the latest issue of Woman's World magazine due to the headline grabber, "Sluggish Thyroid?" Inside it stated than an underactive thyroid might be due to an undiagnosed gluten or dairy sensitivity. I have two young daughters and I want to know if there's even the remote possibility that they have a chance to develop this disease. It wouldn't hurt to have some validation either. I know it seems like I've made up my mind, but after years of being treated like a neurotic nutcase, I suffer from self doubt. I would so appreciate any advice/suggestions any of you have to offer. Many thanks for taking the time to read my novel! :)

Ads by Google:

It sounds like you might have it. Stay on gluten until all testing has been done, then go off it.

It is also genetic, there are two genes commonly found within 30% of the population that has been noted to be connected to celiac.

But, yes, with your issues, i would suggest going in and asking to have a full celiac panal done (which for the life of me i don't know off the top of my head) and then, should that turn out positive or inconclusive, go for the endoscopy. Regardless of its results, go try the diet.

I too had massive abdomen issues with my "D". It was random and got to the point where i'd have to take pepto bismol just to go out. Oh its just IBS the doctors said /sarcasm.

Here's the full celiac panel of tests. Do be persistent in getting them all -- many doctors will only do the tTG IgA.

• AGA (antigliadin antibodies)-IgA
  • AGA-IgG
  • tTG (anti-tissue transglutaminase)-IgA
  • EMA (anti-endomysial antibodies)-IgA
  • DGP (deamidated gliadin peptide)
  • Total serum IgA

Get the testing done sooner rather than later - your PCP can order it. The sooner you know the sooner you can start feeling better. Even if your results come back negative you should try going gluten free for at least 3-6 months. And do stay eating gluten until all testing is completed.

Let us know how it turns out. :)

Thank you, ladies or gentleman?! :unsure: I think I will pursue getting the full panel of blood work this week! Be blessed! :D

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Hi, No, I do not have celiac  disease. I have an ankylosing spondylitis which is an auto-immune disease provoking an inflammation of the joints. Under the advice and supervision of my doctor and the professor at the hospital I follow a gluten free & casein free diet, which is extremely successful in preventing inflammatory events. And I've been doing so, strictly, for more than 6 years. So I'm not Celiac, but I can tell you that I react strongly every time I take gluten even in small amounts. Even soya sauce, which according to this website has an almost zero dose of gluten, is a lot too much for me. Nevertheless I allow myself to eat food which has been processed in a factory which processes gluten. To conclude, I would say that when you are travelling, especially in a country where celiac disease is scarcely known, you should be twice as careful as when you're going out at home. In the end you can never guarantee that the cook has cleaned his pan after using soya sauce and so on... You can only bet
    • Along those lines, many Americans are now pursuing gluten-free eating. Gluten ... Diagnosis of celiac disease typically requires a history and physical ... View the full article
    • No!  Once you fill the tub, if you sit in it for 3 minutes or you stay for 10... It doesn't change the amount or cost of the water.  That's only relevant if you have 3 kids to cycle thru that same water.  Is your hub bathing in the same water after you? Lol  And even if you add some more hot and stay longer....well...it's much cheaper than perscription meds, vodka or a substance that is legal in a few states.     Of course this only pertains to those of use with running water.... If you make your hub haul water from the creek or well and heat it over a fire....
    • Whether it is bona fide dermatitis herpetiformis, or severe eczema or hives or what have you, we all want to know how to stop the incessant itching.  Through all my research, the solution comes down to one thing: a good long soak in the tub-- with baking soda or Epsom salts or some kind of herbal tea, followed by a rub down in thick expensive lotion.  I don't know about you, but I was brought up to "get in, get done get out."  A long soak in the bath was a frivolous luxury, and a waste of time and hot water.  So now I'm having this awful breakout from forgetting to read a label and got wheated.  And every night I've been soaking in a baking soda bath to relieve the itching and aid my recovery.  And it's been hard! (But it's been very helpful too)  It has been hard to reconcile this "frivolous luxury and waste of time" as medically necessary!  Fortunately I've had no judging, and only support from my husband, who has had a similar upbringing.  Does anyone else struggle with this?
    • His son, Eli, had been misdiagnosed with celiac disease, so the family tried some gluten-free foods. After adding quinoa (KEEN-wah) to their diet, ... View the full article
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• HappyMom623

I have Tangled problem! I want all the things Rapunzel Related....including Flynn Rider 😂 but seriously. I have like 8 shirts I want.
      · 0 replies
    • AprilBeth2013

RT @MarkDever: “But the work is God’s and we do not fear the final results. ‘The heathen shall be given to His Son for His inheritance,’ .…
      · 0 replies
    • silk

I have celiac disease and have been gluten-free for almost 10 years.  I am extremely sensitive to gluten, noting that I react within 15 minutes of contact and in fact the doctor suspects that there may also be an actual wheat allergy at play but have never bothered to be tested since I avoid it like the plague!  I am curious to know if anyone else reacts to flax or inulin?  My symptoms with those two are almost identical to gluten so I have to really watch for that in gluten-free breads and baking and recently discovered after the fact that flax was in the juice I was drinking. I know that people with gluten issues can have other problems as well and in fact I also avoid milk products.  Even after 10 years, and although it has become a way of life, it's still frustrating to have to read every ingredient on every label.😞
      · 2 replies
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Themos