2 replies to this topic

#1 Macmuireadhaigh

Macmuireadhaigh

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:49 PM

Althought I don't know what's wrong with me yet (seen a doctor, ordered tests, insurance lapsed and now I'm waiting for re-enrollment before I can reschedule for tests), lately I've been eating more breads, pastas, and various things with gluten in it, and I've been noticing that I'm starting to taste a little metal again (like before) and my joints are starting to hurt again. For a while I cut myself off of a lot of gluten foods because I realized my joints stopped hurting and I didn't taste metal, but I got curious and wanted to start eating regular foods again and now this.

Are there definitive differences in symptoms between a celiac and a gluten-intolerant person? Would I know one from another by specific symptoms?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:55 PM

Are there definitive differences in symptoms between a celiac and a gluten-intolerant person? Would I know one from another by specific symptoms?

I wouldn't think so. That's why they run all the tests in the first instance. Really, the only difference between the two up to this point has been the biopsy showing damage to the small intestine which has always been used as the hallmark of celiac disease.. This may or may not change as further research is done into non-celiac gluten intolerance.

Of course, there is also dermatitis herpetiformis, which is also classified as celiac disease, and many doctors also diagnose celiac now based on neurological symptoms, but for gastrointestinal celiac disease there really is no difference in the presenting symptoms.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:19 AM

Right, not difference, but the range of symptoms is very wide. Some people have no symptoms at all, and they call that "silent celiac". Others have only nuerolgical symptoms, or joint pain, or some combo of those and other symptoms etc. Endless possibilities of symptom combinations.

Non-celiac wheat sensitivity article

http://www.celiac.co...ists/Page1.html

Relevant markers to distinguish wheat sensitivity from IBS include Anemia, weight loss and history of food allergy in infancy. Wheat sensitive patients also tended to have more coexistent atopic diseases.
From this study, we know that non-celiac wheat sensitivity exists. Further studies will explore the distinction between the celiac-like and allergy-like types of the condition.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: