BLT Cheddar Melts with Tomato Bacon Jam
A Stronghold favourite! I have to make 12 ...for 3 people... I AM GUILTY TOO!!!!
I make mine first on my own home made gluten free/ corn free bread and then I get out THEIR yucky evil gluteny pan from the toxic cabinet and do theirs up on a sourdough.
- For the bacon and tomato jam:
- 4 slices smoky bacon, baked at 350°F to crisp on a slotted pan, finely chopped
- 10 Roma tomatoes, peeled and seeded, chopped
- Salt and coarse black pepper
- 2 small cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons balsamic or red wine vinegar
- About 2 tablespoons sugar
- For the sandwiches:
- Sliced thick gluten free/grain free OR FOR "THEM" sourdough bread
- Softened butter
- Bacon and tomato jam (see recipe)
- Crisp smoky bacon (3 slices per sandwich)
- 3 large Beefsteak or vine-ripened tomatoes, sliced 1/4-inch thick (2 big slices per sandwich)
- Chopped spring onions
- Super sharp white cheddar cheese, sliced (3 ounces or so per sandwich, You can use regular sharp slices if you cannot find the white sharp stuff, it is STILL to die for.)
I get everything ready with the jam first and then cook the SAFE sandwiches first and then tent them under foil and remove to the other side of the kitchen before I release the beast for "evil gluteny destruction ones". I also wash and put away all of my safe utensils and cooking items before I even open the toxin cabinet so I can make theirs. Heck, I am surprised I do not don a face mask too! hahaha!
To make the bacon and tomato jam, heat the tomatoes, bacon, salt, pepper, garlic, vinegar, and sugar over medium-high heat until they bubble up. Reduce the heat and cook the jam over medium-low heat for about 30 minutes, until thick. Next, make the safe for you to eat sammies: Butter one side of sliced bread and build the sandwiches with the buttered sides facing out. Spread the sandwiches with jam on one side and stack up the bacon, tomatoes, spring onions and cheese and set the top slice of bread into place. Heat a skillet over medium heat ONLY. Cook to deep golden, 7-8 minutes, turning occasionally and pressing the sandwich as it cooks. Repeat with the remaining sandwiches. When you are done with the safe ones WASH UP EVERYTHING! Then proceed in the same manner for the evil ones.
Do not wash the safe cooking items with the same sponge or cloth as you do your gluten ones people!!! It DOES MATTER!