This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Tmi Topic: Poo Troubles

lexibrowning

lexibrowning Explorer

This is embarrassing, but I've looked all over google and have come up empty handed so I figured I'd throw this out there and see if anyone has any insight to my issue.

First off, if you read my other post not that long ago you will know that I was hardcore constipated last weekend.  It was awful and I'm glad it is behind me.  However, I'm not quite back to normal.  I am still drinking prune juice and taking Miralax on occasion because things seem to be pretty slow still.  I'm talking about slow for ME.  I usually go after every meal.  I know that once a day is totally okay, but I feel sluggish and bloated if that happens.

Today I noticed that my stool is lighter than normal.  You should keep in mind that my stool is usually never "brown" because it moves fairly swiftly through my body and thus it is usually a greenish shade.  This is still greenish brown, but much lighter than I'm used to.  I looked up lighter stool and it came back with liver and gallbladder issues, but I don't have any of the other symptoms.  It is also very loose, but that is normal for me.

And then the weirdest thing that happened today was that my stool smells like...blueberries.  It smells extremely sweet.  I looked that up too and couldn't find much.  Since there wasn't anything that basically said I was dying, I'm guessing I am okay, but what in the world causes sweet smelling stool????  Note: this was also my first major BM since last week before I was constipated.  Could that have anything to do with it?

I have been drinking prune juice (4oz) and had some grape juice (8oz) today.  I had Chex vanilla cereal this morning with milk, Annie's gluten free mac-n-cheese for lunch, and leftover mac-n-cheese with green beans and carrots for dinner.

I also saw on one site that the sweet smell could be from a lactose issue, but couldn't find anything to back that up.

Does anyone have any experience with this?  Should I go to the doctor?  I leave for TN this weekend so I wouldn't be able to see my doctor until over a week from now.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GottaSki Mentor

I am not suggesting that you should not go to the doctor if there is real concern, but it sounds like this may be a one off after a week of not being regular and trying several remedies for constipation.

I have no idea what caused this sweet smell -- but unless it happens repeatedly -- I would watch, wait and take note of bowel changes as you become completely gluten-free for more than just a week.

Enjoy your trip -- hope you feel wonderful during your travels : )

emaegf Newbie

It happens but means nothing really. You've been drinking a lot juices which are naturally high in sugar could contribute but nothing to be concerned about. As for gallbladder and liver issues you won't have color in you poo those both have very pale cream or white colored poo. Been there with my gallbladder. Not fun and not something you would miss the symptoms for.

BelleVie Enthusiast

You know, I used to have this too! I googled as well, "sweet-smelling stool," and couldn't find anything about it. I noticed mine most distinctly after having beer, so I don't know if it had anything to do with that. It seemed to stop once I went gluten free, though I had a few too many ciders one night and had the same thing the next morning. Was it the sugar in the alcohol or was the cider not actually gluten-free? Who knows? I would give it some time and try to pinpoint exactly what's causing it. Do you keep a food diary? That can really be an invaluable tool in discerning what's causing specific symptoms. 

cyclinglady Grand Master

All that juice will cause fermentation and enough of it will cause your stools to smell sweeter.  Back off on the sugar (even natural) if it's bothering you.  Everything in moderation!  I'd stick to eating prunes (dried plums) instead of the juice.  It will have more fiber and that will help with constipation.  Also, try psyllium fiber.  Buy a brand that only contains that one item.  Add to water, a splash of juice and it's not habit forming.  Your goal should be a nice "S" or curved poop!

How do I know about the sugar connection?  I scoop up sweet smelling poop when my dog eats too many apricots that fall from the tree (and before I can pick them up!)  She's savvy enough to spit out the pits!  The end result is apricot smelling poop and I might add that she's not able to completely digest the apricots either.

lexibrowning Explorer

Thanks guys for easing my mind a bit! I haven't noticed anything weird today so hopefully it was just a fluke! 

• 2 years later...
andrewtyler Newbie

Without fail, when I drink grape juice I smell it the next day in my poop. Every single time. If I drink an extraordinary amount (because I LOVE it), then my poop is darker, greenish, and looser.

My poo and regularity are a BIGGGGGG deal to me, so I pay special attention to this daily routine. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master
56 minutes ago, andrewtyler said:

Without fail, when I drink grape juice I smell it the next day in my poop. Every single time. If I drink an extraordinary amount (because I LOVE it), then my poop is darker, greenish, and looser.

My poo and regularity are a BIGGGGGG deal to me, so I pay special attention to this daily routine. 

Did you read the explanation above about all that sugar? 

Also, dark red or purple foods and drinks often turn poop dark greenish.  Its just natural, I think.

manasota Explorer

Andrew,

Welcome!  I see this is your first post.

You will be more successful if you take the time to READ, and READ, and READ, and READ if you expect others to take the time to respond.

I don't know if anyone on this site is paid for their time; but I'm pretty sure the vast majority are not.

Please try to "hold up your end"....then ask away!

Again, welcome.

(I guess it's not my place to "correct you".  I'm just a lowly fellow Celiac.  But I have gotten much help here; and I'd like to see it continue.  I don't want the "authorities" to get p____d off.  Guess you just caught me in a bad mood & frustrated with the whole Celiac "thing".  I see Kareng was MUCH nice than me.  Forgive me for my impatience.)

kareng Grand Master
43 minutes ago, manasota said:

Andrew,

Welcome!  I see this is your first post.

You will be more successful if you take the time to READ, and READ, and READ, and READ if you expect others to take the time to respond.

I don't know if anyone on this site is paid for their time; but I'm pretty sure the vast majority are not.

Please try to "hold up your end"....then ask away!

Again, welcome.

(I guess it's not my place to "correct you".  I'm just a lowly fellow Celiac.  But I have gotten much help here; and I'd like to see it continue.  I don't want the "authorities" to get p____d off.  Guess you just caught me in a bad mood & frustrated with the whole Celiac "thing".  I see Kareng was MUCH nice than me.  Forgive me for my impatience.)

when I re-read Andrew's post - he may just have been "chiming in" that the same thing happens to him?

And no one gets paid for helping out around here.  We just do it because we are "nice"? :D

notme Experienced

lolz, k, "love" the quotation marks :D 

manasota Explorer

Kareng,

You are absolutely right!  My bad.  Sorry, Andrew.

And...I DO find you guys to be  nice!

mommida Enthusiast

Hey.  Just chiming in.

To the original poster's list of foods eaten, that doesn't seem to have a lot of fiber content.  I'm going to suggest my tried and true "helper", FIGS.  2 dried figs a day can work wonders.  The little bit of grit to them seems to be a colon scrubber, the Potassium level also helps flush out the system to the point eating figs in excess can cause "D".

If you need to be concerned about a high cholesterol level, psyliium husk fiber can keep you regular and is supposed to lower cholesterol.

Other than that the typical advice of eat more vegetables and fruit.

Archived