Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

• You've found your Celiac Tribe! Join our like-minded, private community and share your story, get encouragement and connect with others.

💬

• Sign In

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BlessedMommy

Do You Use Plates At Other People's Houses?

So, I know that the protocol is wash your own dishes with separate cloths (or throw them in the dishwasher). But if you are over at your friend's house and they give you something that is definitely safe (fresh fruit, gluten free chips out of an unopened bag, prepackaged gluten free food, etc.) or you bring over your own food, will you eat off of their dishes? 

~Ruth

Gluten free since 2/14/2010 after suffering a rare and serious complication from my gluten challenge

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

That makes sense and is a good rule of thumb to follow. :)

The reason why I asked this is that a friend babysat my kids for me tonight and when I picked them up, she offered me a snack. (gluten free chips from a sealed bag, a whole avocado, salsa, and  grape juice) She doesn't have a dishwasher. I accepted them and used her plate but then wondered if that was a glutening risk. 

~Ruth

Gluten free since 2/14/2010 after suffering a rare and serious complication from my gluten challenge

I would say it is fine as long as the dishes and utensils are clean.

Nicole 

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993

Celiac - June, 2012

Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

If it doesn't feel clean, wash the plate again by hand first.  Usually, though, people are going to clean plates well enough to be okay.  Of course, not everyone has the same standards of hygiene... so always do a stealth inspection first, lol.  

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Thanks for the replies. To the best of my knowledge, I don't think that I've ever been glutened in this fashion, but I started wondering about it. I don't want to be fanatical, but I do want to be careful.

I had a situation in the past where I rewashed dishes because of seeing visible crumbs sitting on them. I guess that common sense is the best guide.

~Ruth

I really at heart don't want to be fanatical, but I don't. If I am bringing my own food, which I do wherever I go, I put a paper plate in with my meal. plastic silverware too. I know it can seem extreme, but it puts me at ease. and I feel if I am at ease, over stressing about unknown factors, then it's all good. no one anywhere has ever said a word. 

if I am at someone's house and there was something that seemed completely safe, i probably would use a napkin over a plate. but that's just me. 

gluten free since 11/12  

dairy and soy free since 1/13

chocolate free since 6/14

I miss my chocolate!!!   but I'm not sick anymore, and that's what really matters  :)

Beth, thanks, it's good to know I'm not alone. I have basically developed a fear of food. I really wish I didn't, but I did. for me to be as sick as I get with a glutening or any the other intolerances I have just scares me too much. I too am sick of being sick, at least now after so many years of being sick  I know how not to let that happen. 

gluten free since 11/12  

dairy and soy free since 1/13

chocolate free since 6/14

I miss my chocolate!!!   but I'm not sick anymore, and that's what really matters  :)

When I first went gluten free, I would worry about stuff like that.  Over time, I have realized that most people and restaurants wash things well or its obvious.  :o  I would be more worried about the food they are serving than the plates.

When I first went gluten free, I would worry about stuff like that.  Over time, I have realized that most people and restaurants wash things well or its obvious.  :o  I would be more worried about the food they are serving than the plates.

What Karen said.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

Agree with Kareng.  I don't worry about plates and/or silverware at all.  I just worry about the food!  

Not everyone washes dishes well. if my husband washed the plate, you should rewash before using!

LOL

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

When we were kids we used to tell company that the dogs washed the dishes. Mom would be so mad and embarrassed. :lol:

gluten-free since June, 2011

It took 3 !/2 years but my intolerances to corn, soy, and everything else (except gluten) are gone!

Life is good!

i do eat off plates at other people's houses (and other places) - i wouldn't in the beginning.  i was too paranoid.  now, it is a leap of faith :)  so far, so good!   as long as i bring my own food, i'm ok.  if i need to get a paper plate from a buffet or potluck, i get it from the middle. 

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

I eat off of plates at others houses but really recently been going to partys and it's all paper plates any way, I try to be the first one to get to my dish and then let everyone else dig in. I never do seconds, unless at my daughters house who is gluten-free. 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013