Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

SCgirl

Yellow dye at Eye Dr

Rate this topic

My daughter who has Celiac Disease had a serious reaction to the yellow dye the eye doctor put in her eyes. First started sneezing and then the membranes started swelling inside her eyes. We are taking her to an allergist but I am wondering if by chance they have gluten in them.  She slept the entire rest of the day but we did have to give her bendryl. Has anyone else had any reactions.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi, the yellow dye is fluorescein and may have been combined with an anesthetic to numb the eye for a glaucoma test. None of the eye drops used in optometric offices have gluten in them. 

The individual had an allergic reaction to some part of the medication used. Being celiac one area of high sensitivity is the latex that is used for the soft dropper on the fluress (yellow drops).

Join eNewsletter

2 hours ago, Susan L said:

Hi, the yellow dye is fluorescein and may have been combined with an anesthetic to numb the eye for a glaucoma test. None of the eye drops used in optometric offices have gluten in them. 

The individual had an allergic reaction to some part of the medication used. Being celiac one area of high sensitivity is the latex that is used for the soft dropper on the fluress (yellow drops).

I have never seen anything to indicate that Celiacs have a higher rate of allergic reaction to latex.  I would love to see the research.

Join eNewsletter

She baffles dr. on a regular basis. She broke out with boil looking blisters within days of riding a golf cart next to a wheat field which was later diagnosed as DH even though she had been gluten free for 2 years.  Best they could say is wheat got on her skin and her body attacked it.  Gastrologist sent us to dermatologist for treatment.

Join eNewsletter