Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

• You've found your Celiac Tribe! Join our like-minded, private community and share your story, get encouragement and connect with others.

💬

• Sign In

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

canadianjem

Was I "glutened"??!!

Good Morning all,

I am a newly diagnosed "silent" Celiac.

I was never really sick.  I always had a general feeling of being unwell but couldn't describe it.  Hair loss, Very dark under eye circles....

It took a stomach biopsy as well as a DNA test to confirm by diagnosis ( the traditional blood work said all was normal).

Fast foreword 1 year...second biopsy said Villi were healed ( I worked extremely hard to eliminate ALL gluten.

Two nights ago I shamefully ate a large bag of Presidents choice fruit and nut mix. It did not list wheat or gluten anywhere on the bag.  Not even in the little blurb "may have been in contact with....".

I woke up in the middle of the night with terrible stomach pain, headache, nausea , couldn't get off the couch.  This morning I'm completely back to normal except my tummy is a little tender.

I have heard of getting "glutened".   Could this be it???

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yes it's possible, but maybe it wasn't and your stomach just reacted to you eating the whole bag! ;)  I'm a silent celiac but when I went gluten-free I could tell there where a couple times I must've been glutened based on getting brain fog for a couple days.  Well done being strict and fully healed so fast, I'm hoping for the same as I'm only 4 months post diagnosis. All going well though and no longer amenic. Feel 100% and active!

Ha ha ha...Maybe its just the fact that I am a huge little piggy.

I am however VERY active and burn almost 3000 calories a day. But diet for the most part is healthy..i do eat a LOT of food so I didn't really blink an eye at the bag of fruit and nuts.