This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Coffee

AristotlesCat

CoffeeLobby Rookie
14 minutes ago, Gemini said:

Nice to see another poster who doesn't live with extreme food fear.  If people want to believe that everything is contaminated, I have no problem with that. To each his own. I am a sensitive Celiac who has to be very careful but also learned what reality is with the food I eat. With certain foods and drink, cc is so unlikely its not worth getting your knickers in a twirl over it. I am done trying to help people who are worried over things they should not be worried about.  There is just too much fear in Celiac-land and that's a shame.  However, I still like helping people on here navigate the newness of the gluten-free diet and hopefully, teach them their life does not end because they can't eat gluten. There is so much great food out there we can safely eat and travel is getting easier so it's all good!

Exactly, who doesn't want to enjoy their lives like everyone else. Coffee is delicious. It isn't evil and it doesn't make you sick just because you have celiac. People with celiac disease can relax and enjoy a cup just like anyone else. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AristotlesCat

• CoffeeLobby

• cyclinglady

• Ennis-TX

Top Posters In This Topic

• AristotlesCat

AristotlesCat 20 posts

• CoffeeLobby

CoffeeLobby 11 posts

• cyclinglady

cyclinglady 10 posts

• Ennis-TX

Ennis-TX 10 posts

CoffeeLobby Rookie
1 hour ago, Ennis_TX said:

Yes we can be a bit paranoid and YES the majority of PURE coffee is gluten free, HELL if we stuck to whole beans ground our own and only used main name brands I am sure we would all be fine. But in cases of K-cups, off brands, preground, etc. we will run into CC issues and gluten in coffee. 

The possibility is so remote it isn't even worth worrying about. 

Ennis-TX Grand Master
9 minutes ago, CoffeeLobby said:

The possibility is so remote it isn't even worth worrying about. 

OP did, and I did few years ago. And I just found 3 companies that admitted to using gluten in flavored blends and stress that someone with celiac should avoid all of the coffees they produce. Again sorta happens when you wonder from name brands or the whole K cup thing instead of a pot and grounds. I am just covering those bases. Again name brands and plain coffee are not my concern as they are generally safe.

Scott Adams Grand Master

Just to update everyone AristotlesCat is also CoffeeLobby, and is banned for various rule violations, and they are now trolling this forum.

Feeneyja Collaborator

Seriously?  Fell for troll bait. Ugh. 

Victoria1234 Experienced
On 5/12/2017 at 1:38 PM, Ennis_TX said:

I just ordered several of the most questionable flavored coffees from christophebean, and will be testing them when they come in, my results are not lab level and it is a high tannin based product which could throw off the results but I will try testing the grounds regardless for the, french toast, chocolate doughnut, and a few others using both a EZ-Strip kit and a nima. Again will not be lab accurate but should give a idea and if they show up negative I just found a nice flavored coffee that is safe.

I know the flavored coffee is not what the original post was about, it was about finding recommendations on coffee that was 100% safe and he would not have to worry about and feed back on issues others have had with certain brands of coffee. I am approaching this at the angle if you can find a company that claims no gluten and the items most likely to be contaminated (flavored coffees with dough etc. flavoring) is gluten free then the plain coffee from said company has a much higher chance of being truly safe.

And to address the most recent ranting troll to our board who seems to have just made an account to toy with and mess with people. CoffeeLobby, some of us do react to below 20ppm, some of us have near life threatening reactions to this. Full motor loss, brain damage, vomiting on the floor for hours followed by spending the next day between the toilet and the bed......yeah gluten is not a joke if you find it funny you should just leave. Given we all have different reactions assume someone is always a highly sensitive individual and that these issues are life threatening. This is a autoimmune disease that can dramatically effect ones life and well being.

Yes we can be a bit paranoid and YES the majority of PURE coffee is gluten free, HELL if we stuck to whole beans ground our own and only used main name brands I am sure we would all be fine. But in cases of K-cups, off brands, preground, etc. we will run into CC issues and gluten in coffee. 

This is very exciting! Thank you!

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Update  tested the flavors chocolate oatmeal cookie, apple cinnamon French toast, and cinnamon pecan brownie. All came back negative, still need to test a few other iffy flavors but I would say Christopher Bean Flavored coffees are indeed gluten free. Set the grounds in water and let set transferred the paste to the testing capsules and vials. Added another drop as recommended and ran the test. Both came back negative.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Victoria1234 Experienced
1 hour ago, Ennis_TX said:

Update  tested the flavors chocolate oatmeal cookie, apple cinnamon French toast, and cinnamon pecan brownie. All came back negative, still need to test a few other iffy flavors but I would say Christopher Bean Flavored coffees are indeed gluten free. Set the grounds in water and let set transferred the paste to the testing capsules and vials. Added another drop as recommended and ran the test. Both came back negative.

Wow, can't wait to look them up and order some. Please let us know how they taste!

Victoria1234 Experienced
On 5/12/2017 at 4:32 PM, admin said:

Just to update everyone AristotlesCat is also CoffeeLobby, and is banned for various rule violations, and they are now trolling this forum.

I completely skipped that! I'm amazed ppl have the time to do such things.

Ennis-TX Grand Master

I have since tested the Chocolate glazed doughnut, Jamaca me nuts (rum and Kahlua flavor), and caramel butter crunch along with the chocolate oatmeal cookie, apple cinnamon French toast, and cinnamon pecan brownie. ALL are negative for gluten unlike 2 other companies I tried. SO conclusion I would say all flavored coffee from https://www.christopherbean.com/collections/flavored-coffee?page=1   

are safe and gluten free. The flavors are AMAZING, the cinnamon pecan brownie tasted like a chocolate brownie was in the bottom of my cup the apple cinnamon french toasted tasted more like a apple pie with a bit of crust but it was GREAT the flavors are almost spot on and you just need a touch of sweetener. I am doing reviews for them now posting my thoughts on the coffees I have tried with cupping notes and thoughts. I am so glad I started this little adventure with trying to track down desert flavored coffees that were gluten free.

Victoria1234 Experienced
13 minutes ago, Ennis_TX said:

I have since tested the Chocolate glazed doughnut, Jamaca me nuts (rum and Kahlua flavor), and caramel butter crunch along with the chocolate oatmeal cookie, apple cinnamon French toast, and cinnamon pecan brownie. ALL are negative for gluten unlike 2 other companies I tried. SO conclusion I would say all flavored coffee from https://www.christopherbean.com/collections/flavored-coffee?page=1   

are safe and gluten free. The flavors are AMAZING, the cinnamon pecan brownie tasted like a chocolate brownie was in the bottom of my cup the apple cinnamon french toasted tasted more like a apple pie with a bit of crust but it was GREAT the flavors are almost spot on and you just need a touch of sweetener. I am doing reviews for them now posting my thoughts on the coffees I have tried with cupping notes and thoughts. I am so glad I started this little adventure with trying to track down desert flavored coffees that were gluten free.

So exciting! Thanks for doing this!

ncsc Apprentice

Hi AristotlesCat.  I am new here.  I read through most (but not all) of the posts under this discussion.  I beleive that message boards like this should be a place of support, so this is what I know has worked for me.

I am a coffee drinker with both Celiac Bisease and Ulcerative Colitis.  What has worked for me is a paleo diet.  And, at times when I FEEL my body reacting to something, I use the autoimmune protocol paleo (AIP) for a while, until I FEEL better.  When I was first diagnosed with these two conditions, I did an elimination diet and added one food back in at a time in a certain order.  That provided me with lots of information about what my body does or does not like.  I stay away from processed certified gluten-free foods, b/c for me, other stuff (additives, emulifiers, perservatives, etc.) have caused irritation, even if the product is certified gluten-free.  

If you are having issues, I would recommend at least looking into AIP and/or paleo.  It has been a complete game changer for me.  But, I know that what works for one of us, may or may not work for another.  I hope you are feeling better.

BergieF Explorer
On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 11:51 AM, Ennis_TX said:

Awesome!  I've given up coffee since my husband contaminated our Keurig.  I'm going to have to go out and buy my own old school coffee pot so I can try these out.  I'm super excited. 

apprehensiveengineer Community Regular

Err... don't know what happened to this thread in my absence, but thought I'd add some input that might be helpful. I'd been having some weird low-level CC issues for the last few weeks and couldn't figure out what it was - I eat very conservatively (only eat certified products or fresh meat/produce/dairy) and it was driving me crazy! I saw this thread and thought about it a bit and realized that things seemed to have gotten worse around the time of my last coffee ground purchase, where I'd bought a different brand than I'd been using previously.

Anyways, I switched to a fancier brand and things cleared up immediately. If anyone should come across this, the brand apparently causing issue for me was President's Choice. This is a store brand for the Loblaws chain in Canada, so probably not worth worrying about for most. I've not yet had time to contact them about this, but this brand does also offer a number of flavoured coffee grounds (used to buy these pre-gluten-free), so there is some CC potential there assuming they process these products on the same line. I guess I will be sticking with whole bean coffee or smaller/snobbier brands that don't do flavoured stuff for the foreseeable future.

• 1 month later...
Ennis-TX Grand Master

Getting in another order with them https://www.christopherbean.com/collections/flavored-coffee

I was talking with the rep again about how wonderful it is having flavored coffee without contamination issues. I am looking forward to trying the Chocolate Marshmallow Gram cracker smores ones, Ginger bread creme brulee, pecan sticky buns, and the banana forester one.    She gave me a discount code to share when I told her I was mentioning the company to group. use the code "5BEAN" for $5 off

• 2 weeks later...
Dawn-Ambrose Rookie

To the OP

You are aware that there have been recent reports of certain coffee manufacturers filling out their coffee with such things as wheat, barley, twigs, mud etc in order to make it stretch futher, especially during times of low crop yield.

Some coffee's have been tested and found to contain gluten.

The stick wheat/grains in just about everything these days, why not your brew?

Edited by Dawn_Ambrose
Dawn-Ambrose Rookie

Thing is, they don't fess up to it. So you will never really know if your coffee is actually gluten free.

Victoria1234 Experienced

I drink maxwell house coffee. I just googled the whole gluten and coffee combo because of what dawn ambrose wrote (couldn't find her sources) but I did find this article http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/coffee-and-gluten-sensitivity-never-the-twain-shall-meet/ where it mentions to not drink the cheaper coffees like maxwell house. 

Does anyone have problems with probs with maxwell house?

cyclinglady Grand Master
23 minutes ago, Victoria1234 said:

I drink maxwell house coffee. I just googled the whole gluten and coffee combo because of what dawn ambrose wrote (couldn't find her sources) but I did find this article http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/coffee-and-gluten-sensitivity-never-the-twain-shall-meet/ where it mentions to not drink the cheaper coffees like maxwell house. 

Does anyone have problems with probs with maxwell house?

I would skip advice from bloggers who do not even have celiac disease.  Jane Anderson has DH.  She usually has excellent advice for celiacs.  She is very conservative though (so would I if I had DH).  

https://www.verywell.com/does-coffee-contain-gluten-562352

Your Maxwell House is safe.  I drink Yuban.  I have not been glutened yet.  And that cross reactive theory?  Not proven.  All the celiac organizations say that plain coffee is safe.  Reacting?  Damaged guts can have trouble digesting just about anything.  So, newbies might have to avoid it for a while.  

kareng Grand Master

I would ask the poster for sources.......  but I don't feel like arguing that bloggers and pseudo doctors & " home economists" without even a home ec degree ....are not good sources.  

Jmg Mentor

3 hours ago, Dawn_Ambrose said:

they stick wheat/grains in just about everything these days, why not your brew?

Because coffee manufacturers are rational actors looking to make a long term profit. Whatever temporary savings are made from bulking out their product with potential allergens would be dwarfed from the destruction of that brand once people started being sick and the authorities, media and retailers started testing the product. Just think about it, it doesn't make sense. 

The other obvious point as CyclingLady alludes to above is that coffee itself can be hard on the gut. It doesn't have to be a gluten mediated reaction, just a response from an already tender gut.

kareng Grand Master
16 minutes ago, Jmg said:

Because coffee manufacturers are rational actors looking to make a long term profit. Whatever temporary savings are made from bulking out their product with potential allergens would be dwarfed from the destruction of that brand once people started being sick and the authorities, media and retailers started testing the product. Just think about it, it doesn't make sense. 

The other obvious point as CyclingLady alludes to above is that coffee itself can be hard on the gut. It doesn't have to be a gluten mediated reaction, just a response from an already tender gut.

Exactly!  And if they are putting unlabeled wheat in coffee.......I hope it's  a very large fine from the FDA.  I would think the recall alone would make coffee drinkers not want the coffee ( even if they can have wheat).

if I remember correctly....it's  been a few years....someone tested some coffees and found some odd additives.  But it was some very cheap off brands and not necessarily sold in the US?  I think that major coffee companies in the US, keep a pretty close eye on the coffee they buy.  Most coffee companies are purchasing , even growing,  beans, that are then ground in their own factories.  I think this was coffee purchased by companies that was already ground.  But, like I said , this was 3-4 years ago...so companies have gotten wise to these tricks .

Edited by kareng
Dawn-Ambrose Rookie
On 15/07/2017 at 8:11 PM, kareng said:

I would ask the poster for sources.......  but I don't feel like arguing that bloggers and pseudo doctors & " home economists" without even a home ec degree ....are not good sources.  

http://www.takepart.com/article/2014/08/11/coffee-adulterated

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/how-was-your-morning-coffee-did-it-taste-like-mud-v6rfdmrrr92

http://grist.org/food/coffee-taste-like-dirt-thats-because-it-might-be/

" Using liquid chromatography, which identifies the individual chemical components of a mixture, the Brazilian scientists found wheat, soy bean, brown sugar, barley, corn, and rice commonly interspersed with the grounded coffee they tested. Large amounts of wood and dirt were also prevalent, an issue not only for purists who prefer to drink their coffee black, but for those with potential allergies to the unknown additives. As TIME reports, the scientists are identifying the rogue coffee with increasing accuracy:"

http://www.bodyandsoul.com.au/health/health-news/is-there-wheat-hidden-in-your-coffee/news-story/a3d53a7c36b76156f08d89eab6a396b3

-----

I have also read other references to coffee upsetting those with celiac.

Personally I have a family history of officially diagnosed celiac even though I have never been diagnosed myself..then again Ive never been properly tested. My drs just keep saying the following symptoms are anxiety and wont refer me to a gastroenterologist for:

Loss of bowel control, pale coloured stools, severe bloating, passing undigested food, ataxia, vertigo, migraine headaches, feeling feverish, repeated ulcers on my tongue and in my mouth, feeling generally ill and sleep issues (mostly falling asleep when I dont want to but rarely insomnia).

Because they insist its anxiety as routine blood tests are normal they wont refer me to a gut dr. They did do a blood test for celiac once on my request but it came back negative. This does not phase me when it comes to my suspicians that gluten is an issue for me because:

1 I was on a gluten free diet at the time, hence why i was well enough to crawl to the gps office.

2 I have a family history of celiac

3 MY symptoms are alleviated by a gluten free, dairy free, oat free, corn free diet..and lately, coffee free it seems. Coffee has indeed become a problem for me recently.

4 I could not tolerate gluten based baby foods as an infant. I was admitted to hospital as a baby for being underweight because I was vomitting all my food up. They put me on gluten free formula and i was fine, stopped being sick and gained weight.

I could have grown out of it but considering the symtpoms i get on a gluten based diet, i really doubt it.

-----

When it comes to the coffee, food manufacturers will do most anything to make profits if they think they can get away with it. We live in a world where money is most important and if they do get caught...they can always claim they have no idea how the barley got in there!

cyclinglady Grand Master
9 hours ago, Dawn_Ambrose said:

http://www.takepart.com/article/2014/08/11/coffee-adulterated

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/how-was-your-morning-coffee-did-it-taste-like-mud-v6rfdmrrr92

http://grist.org/food/coffee-taste-like-dirt-thats-because-it-might-be/

" Using liquid chromatography, which identifies the individual chemical components of a mixture, the Brazilian scientists found wheat, soy bean, brown sugar, barley, corn, and rice commonly interspersed with the grounded coffee they tested. Large amounts of wood and dirt were also prevalent, an issue not only for purists who prefer to drink their coffee black, but for those with potential allergies to the unknown additives. As TIME reports, the scientists are identifying the rogue coffee with increasing accuracy:"

http://www.bodyandsoul.com.au/health/health-news/is-there-wheat-hidden-in-your-coffee/news-story/a3d53a7c36b76156f08d89eab6a396b3

-----

I have also read other references to coffee upsetting those with celiac.

Personally I have a family history of officially diagnosed celiac even though I have never been diagnosed myself..then again Ive never been properly tested. My drs just keep saying the following symptoms are anxiety and wont refer me to a gastroenterologist for:

Loss of bowel control, pale coloured stools, severe bloating, passing undigested food, ataxia, vertigo, migraine headaches, feeling feverish, repeated ulcers on my tongue and in my mouth, feeling generally ill and sleep issues (mostly falling asleep when I dont want to but rarely insomnia).

Because they insist its anxiety as routine blood tests are normal they wont refer me to a gut dr. They did do a blood test for celiac once on my request but it came back negative. This does not phase me when it comes to my suspicians that gluten is an issue for me because:

1 I was on a gluten free diet at the time, hence why i was well enough to crawl to the gps office.

2 I have a family history of celiac

3 MY symptoms are alleviated by a gluten free, dairy free, oat free, corn free diet..and lately, coffee free it seems. Coffee has indeed become a problem for me recently.

4 I could not tolerate gluten based baby foods as an infant. I was admitted to hospital as a baby for being underweight because I was vomitting all my food up. They put me on gluten free formula and i was fine, stopped being sick and gained weight.

I could have grown out of it but considering the symtpoms i get on a gluten based diet, i really doubt it.

-----

When it comes to the coffee, food manufacturers will do most anything to make profits if they think they can get away with it. We live in a world where money is most important and if they do get caught...they can always claim they have no idea how the barley got in there!

Most of the articles you presented were blogs.  They focused in one article pushed by the American Chemical Society.  The research looked at ground coffee in Brazil ONLY.  

https://www.acs.org/content/acs/en/pressroom/newsreleases/2014/august/keeping-filler-ingredients-out-of-your-cup-of-coffee.html

We know that Brazil is a very poor country.  Just look at what happened during the last Olympics.  

For piece of mind, do not drink ground coffee brands from Brazil.  Instead, grind your own beans or purchase grounds from a reputable company.  

squirmingitch Veteran
6 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

Most of the articles you presented were blogs.  They focused in one article pushed by the American Chemical Society.  The research looked at ground coffee in Brazil ONLY.  

https://www.acs.org/content/acs/en/pressroom/newsreleases/2014/august/keeping-filler-ingredients-out-of-your-cup-of-coffee.html

We know that Brazil is a very poor country.  Just look at what happened during the last Olympics.  

For piece of mind, do not drink ground coffee brands from Brazil.  Instead, grind your own beans or purchase grounds from a reputable company.  

I agree!