Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

buluga

Anyone Have Any Vacation Recommendations?

Guest BERNESES

I went to Costa Rica last October (about three months before I went gluten free) and the only time I got sick was at an American restaurant that served pizza! Other than that- no problema! You will LOVE it- it's gorgeous.

My hubby and I are leaving for Turks and Caicos tonight for five nights and I'm a bit nervous. :ph34r:

Keep in mind that Disney has cruises. They also have such fabulous resorts that my parents go just for the R&R, park attendance optional. It really isn't just for the kids. They also have a resort in Hilton Head on the beach. Just a thought. We had such an amazing experience with them and our children's health issues, it is hard to imagine doing anything else!

My recommendation is Thailand.

Thailand is cheap once you get there. But stay away from tourist traps.

I taught school there for 6 months. I am not really celiac but believe that wheat is a problem to my health. I AM Diabetic and I have had blood fats at 10x high risk.

I ate 99% Thai food and at the end of 6 months I lost 35 lbs of weight, my blood sugar fell from 8-10 mmol/l to 5-6 mmol/l and my blood fats went from 10x high risk to high normal.

Thai cuisine does not traditionally use wheat. It is generally rice with a tasty condiment. Unless you actively seek western food (why did you go there if you want to eat that crap??) you will rarely find wheat. There are bakeries but they are rare and hard to find.

You eat lots of fish, shrimp. rice, curries, fruit of all types (the sweet pineapple is to die for) some chicken, pork and a little beef. They don't use thickeners in their sauces...rather they use coconut milk. I ate from street vendors all the time as long as the dish was cooked in front of me.

I am not knowledgeable enough on gluten to say all Thai cooking is gluten free.....but all I can say is other than soy sauce I don't know what other sauce contains wheat....red and green curry paste is wheat free by definition.

Thai people are some of the nicest people you can meet...