This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Meat Intolerance?

ebrbetty

Rachel--24 Collaborator

This is probably a really dumb question BUT...I'm going to ask anyway. :P

Is lamb considered red meat?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

debbiewil Rookie

Rachel,

Yes. And the only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

Debbie

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Thanks Debbie :)

marciab Enthusiast

I took your advice and picked up a Maverick Ranch New York strip steak this morning at Publix. I just had to try it. I cooked it in an aluminum pan with a little water instead frying it in a non stick pan with oil like I have always done. (I'm catching on here). I only had 3 bites, out of fear. It definitely tasted different. I don't know if that is the clean affect or just the way I cooked it. Anyway, so far so good. No cramps. I found the Springer Mtn chicken too. Thanks for telling me about those, I would have never known what to look for myself. The red meat was $12 a pound and a whole chicken was $2 a pound. So, it's a little more expensive. Marcia

Guest nini

it's a lot more expensive, but in my opinion, well worth it. Yes the taste is a little different, but in reality that is what meat is supposed to taste like! We've just gotten used to the adulterated meats for so long that we forgot what real food tasted like.

mmaccartney Explorer

Meat allergies / intolerances are quite uncommon as you indicate. That is what worries me. I've been a heavy carnivore my whole life, and until I started getting digestive issues after minor surgery 1.5 years ago I never had a problem. Once I identified gluten and milk as an issue and eliminated those, then I noticed the meat problem.

I will have to try organic meats and see what happens. BUT I have validated with some companies that their product is indeed 100% meat, not additives, nothing. Some I've eaten came from Trader Joes and imported from Australia and claimed to be unadulterated. Also, when cooking meat, I did use my grill (I have not replaced the grill yet), but all the rest was done in the oven on cookware that has been replaced since my dx.

I've been gluten-free for about 6-7 months now, and I am really hoping that my guts just need to heal. They feel better almost every day, so perhaps in 5 more months when I try milk again I'll also try meat again.

Right now I am on a serious journey to heal. I've been too sick for too long to mess around any more. I haven't eaten in a restaurant in 2 months now, and everything I eat is prepared in my home where there is no Milk, no Wheat, no Rye, no barley, no peanuts, no tree nuts, no eggs, and I have replaced all kitchen equipment, so I know that x-contamination in my home is not an issue. I try not to eat any processed foods, and it seems to be working. Hoping I dont jinx myself, I haven't had troubles in about 2 weeks now!!!!

Guest Robbin

Hi everyone. It seems I have something in common with almost every topic. Hope you're not all sick of me. I absolutely cannot have pork. It gives me the same symptoms as the original poster (sorry forgot which one), I use a meat thermometer and cook it very carefully since I am paranoid about parasites, but it still makes me ill. Could it be the diet of pigs? Don't they eat corn? Could the diet of the animal affect us if we are very sensitive? Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lollie Enthusiast
great imput everyone thanks

laura, have you ever tried "regular" meat since you had your gall bladder removed?

I just keep wondering if thats part of my problem, I did have a CT scan and ultra sound, was told its ok, but then I have days like today when I have burning type pain on my right side and groin..can't figure out why, somedays its real bad then other days nothing..driving me crazy and to be honest causing anxiety

Hey Betty-

Sorry that it's taken me a while to respond.....had some family health issues. :(

However, I stay away from anything that has too high of fat content. If I eat anything that is fried or has alot of fat, I'm rolling in pain and D. I understand that it's really common after removing your gall bladder, to not be able to tolerate fat. As far as actually trying other meats......I stay away from anything that isn't natural or whole. I avoid all meats that have hormones, basically I only buy my meat from the Central Market or Whole Foods-I cook it immidiately, too. I'm pretty careful where meat is concerned :ph34r: . I have a phobia about food poisoning, but that's a whole other issue! :D

Again, sorry to take so long! I hope this info helps!

-Lollie

penguin Community Regular
I avoid all meats that have hormones, basically I only buy my meat from the Central Market or Whole Foods-I cook it immidiately, too.

A little off topic, but...

Lollie-

You must be in either central or east Texas to have both of those options! I find that I feel like I'm being ripped off at Central Market, because many of the same things are available and cheaper at HEB...

...and HEB clearly sends all of their GOOD produce to Central Market <_<

Lollie Enthusiast

Lollie-

You must be in either central or east Texas to have both of those options! I find that I feel like I'm being ripped off at Central Market, because many of the same things are available and cheaper at HEB...

...and HEB clearly sends all of their GOOD produce to Central Market <_<

penguin Community Regular
Are you in Texas, too?

Lollie

Yep, Austin. I feel blessed to live in the one city in Texas where there are a ton of health nuts (thanks, Lance) and therefore a lot of healthfood stores, not to mention the landmark store for whole foods :P

Archived