This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Constipation

key

key Contributor

Ok, what am I doing wrong. I am vegetarian and I do eat some dairy. I just don't know what else to eat. What do you guys eat. I try and add apples, brocolli, eat a ton of beans, salads, try adding flaxseeds and prunes. I eat quite a bit of the gluten-free breads.

I am very frustrated though, because I can't stay regular. Before going gluten free I would have diarhea on and off and C. NOw it is just C! I was always nauseated before, had chronic yeast infections, bone pain, bruising, fatigue, etc. So I know I feel better gluten free, but when I struggle constantly with some digestive issue, it really gets depressing.

I have thought about giving up dairy, but I am alreay gluten free, vegetarian, trying not to give up my caffeine and I don't drink any alcohol. My life is just really boring in the food department! Sometimes I just think I should quit eating! I also had to start taking Prilosec for heartburn. I seem to continue to lose weight and just don't seem to feel healthy. I have been gluten free for almost a year in the middle of May.

What do you guys eat? WIthout cheese I feel like I might just starve to death. I really would hate to be on a raw food diet. Basically if I give up dairy, I have vegetables left.

Does anyone else have this problem. I have thought about adding fish to my diet, but I have never cooked it. DOes anyone have a good recipe, that won't taste fishy?

THanks guys.

Monica

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LivingtheGoodLife Newbie
Ok, what am I doing wrong. I am vegetarian and I do eat some dairy. I just don't know what else to eat. What do you guys eat. I try and add apples, brocolli, eat a ton of beans, salads, try adding flaxseeds and prunes. I eat quite a bit of the gluten-free breads.

I am very frustrated though, because I can't stay regular. Before going gluten free I would have diarhea on and off and C. NOw it is just C! I was always nauseated before, had chronic yeast infections, bone pain, bruising, fatigue, etc. So I know I feel better gluten free, but when I struggle constantly with some digestive issue, it really gets depressing.

I have thought about giving up dairy, but I am alreay gluten free, vegetarian, trying not to give up my caffeine and I don't drink any alcohol. My life is just really boring in the food department! Sometimes I just think I should quit eating! I also had to start taking Prilosec for heartburn. I seem to continue to lose weight and just don't seem to feel healthy. I have been gluten free for almost a year in the middle of May.

What do you guys eat? WIthout cheese I feel like I might just starve to death. I really would hate to be on a raw food diet. Basically if I give up dairy, I have vegetables left.

Does anyone else have this problem. I have thought about adding fish to my diet, but I have never cooked it. DOes anyone have a good recipe, that won't taste fishy?

THanks guys.

Monica

Hi Monica

Have you tried probiotics? They really help me with C. I think the flaxseed is a good idea - flaxseed oil would help even more with C. Good luck to you. Care

elonwy Enthusiast

You said you're eating the gluten free breads? I've found that too much rice bread, pasta and other products all at once can give me C. Not much fiber in most gluten-free breads. Kinnikinnick adds pea starch to thiers to up the fiber content, I've had the best results with them.

Just an idea, something I went through in month two and three.

Elonwy

Lollie Enthusiast

I have been having the same problem! :( I started the probiotics last week.....waiting to see. I used to be vegitarian- but my iron levels were just too low and I couldn't tolerate the iron pills, so I started eating meat. I really like talapia-I dredge it with finely chopped pecans adn season with fresh basil, salt and pepper. I lightly saute' it in a little butter on both sides and finish it in the oven at about 400 for maybe 15-20 minutes....you just have to lool at it- the meat will be flakey and white when done. I still haven't figured out what to do for the C. I was eating oats prior to the dx, and it was working for me- but now that's out of the picture.

I hope some of this helps! :D

Lollie

Guest BERNESES

I'm having the same problem and I'm starting to wonder if it's the lactose. I hope not. It used to give me D, not C. Now I have C. Grrr! :P

tarnalberry Community Regular

You might try taking a magnesium supplement - particularly if you're already taking a calcium supplement. (Calcium is constipating, magnesium has the opposite effect.)

covsooze Enthusiast

Another seed to try is linseed - that helps me a bit. You need to drink plenty of water too. Another high fibre fruit is persimmon (sharon fruit), they work really well and taste far superior to figs or prunes IMHO :D

Have you tried making soups? That's a really good and tasty way to have lots of veg.

I'm with you on the fish - DH thinks it's funny when I say I don't like fish to taste 'fishy.' Trying making a fish 'pie' with white fish/ salmon (v mild taste), mashed potato, onions, white sauce (I make it GFDF) and add any other veggies you want. The onion overtakes the fish taste and I actually really enjoy it. Sorry I can't give quantities - I tend to make up that sort of thing as I go along. But basically I steam/ poach the fish, crumble it with onions. white sauce and veggies, then put mashed potato on top and grill or bake it until the top is crispy. Yum!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

denipark Newbie

This is my first time writing, although I sure read a whole lot. My daughter definitely seems to be celiac, but it's not confirmed by bloodwork. The gluten free diet has helped immensely. (Grandma has it too.) Anyway, she is still struggling with constipation (actually overflow! horrifying for a teen!). I finally got her tested for milk allergy which came back the tiniest bit positive - a .39 when .35 is the start of a positive result. Interestingly, her gastro nurse said, "Hmm, it's often the case that we don't see an improvement in constipation until we remove dairy." So, eliminating dairy eliminated the overflow. Her poo still is bulky and still floats. Man, she hates when I ask her, "So, how was your poo today?" So, I'm interested in having her try the probiotics, flax and oil and magnesium.

On the other topic of fish, there's a great recipe on foodnetwork.com for tilapia by Giada Di Laurentis. Except that I broil the fish, cuz it stuck like crazy to the pan. It's easy, has lots of citrus flavor and my non-fish eating daughter really liked it.

aikiducky Apprentice

One fish dish I love is salmon cooked in a pan with a couple orange slices on top, and a sauce with the fat from the salmon and orange juice in it. Add some salt and rose pepper, yum.

Pauliina

jenvan Collaborator

Monica-

1st question, why did you decide to be a vegetarian? If you are willing to add in fish, I would go for it. You didn't say anything about soy--do you eat that at all? I can not have dairy anymore b/c I am intolerant and it definitely constipates me. If I was you, I would go on a trial period of dairy free. Even two weeks and see if your bms change. Tiffany mentioned magnesium--it definitely can have a laxative-like effect. Have you ever taken psyllium? It is by far my favorite fiber supplement--works great, is natural. I've found a brand I love too. Besides giving up gluten, any other big foods changes your diet has undergone--like a food you have added in? PS-I could recommend some vegan sites too, for some good veg/dairy-free ideas.... It really stinks to have to continually pull things out of your diet...I have had to do that too. It has really helped me to add new foods in and to teach myself to like foods I didn't before :) Besides meat, I eat fruit--oranges, berries, lots of apples, applesauce, peaches, pears, (fruit leather or kettle valley fruit bars), veggies--brocolli, lettuces/spinach, carrots, peas, beans--all types, lentils, green peas, peppers, zucchni, squash, mushrooms, tomatoes, jimca, bread, pasta, brown rice, quinoa, peanut butter, homemade cookies, nana cookies (choc and nana banana), cf/gluten-free tropical source chocolate, lundberg rice chips, salsa... Ever try going to the store and picking out veggies and fruits you've never tried before? Hope maybe one of these is a new idea for you!

CMCM Rising Star

Eating is such a headache for me. I can't eat dairy so that cuts out a lot of possibiilities. And tuna seems to upset me for some reason....maybe the added soy or something. I also like fish that doesn't taste fishy, but I hate cooking it. When I can find resh Atlantic salmon I get that....I have one of those little George Foreman grills and it works pretty good for quick grilling of either chicken or fish. The fresh (not farmed) salmon seems way less fishy to me. A lot of the white fish (hialibut, tilapia) aren't too fishy.

I have such a limited diet at the moment while I try to figure out what to eat. Most days my breakfast is a mix of 1 egg and 1/3 c. whites, scrambled with some chopped up Canadian bacon, red pepper and onion. I'll have that plus a half grapefruit....these days Cosco has some fabulous Texas red grapefruit in stock. Sometimes I have the Lundberg creamy brown rice hot cereal. Lunch is usually salad....lettuce with some cherry tomatoles, a sliced boiled egg, cran-raisins, glazed walnuts, cucumber, olives, with my favorite dressing of 1 T extra virgin olive oil mixed with about 3/4 T balsamic vinegar. For extra protein I might also have some sliced turkey or chicken or beef. Dinner is a pain, but usually some kind of chicken & veggies. Potatoes don't agree with me so I can't have those, and I'm not much of a rice eater. Snacks are things like various chips (the Lundberg rice things are pretty good), the Nana cookie bars (mainly the banana or choco crunch ones), pistacios or macadamia nuts. For fruit I mostly have strawberries or other berries when available, apples, oranges, grapefruit, kiwi, pineapple. I don't think bananas agree with me much, though I'm not sure at this point. I do OK with green tea, but I think black tea (which I love) bothers me...possibly from the sugar and/or splenda I sweeten it with. I rarely ever have cokies or other sodas.

I didn't eat a lot of cookies, chips etc. before, so I'm not going to do it now, either, with the gluten free things. I tried some Rice Dream "ice cream" the other day, and it was horrible. I might try to make some home made sorbets in the future, because those can really be good and refreshing. Probably best to do them when the appropriate fruits (like peaches, berries etc) are in seaon and cheaper.

One thing I've really learned is that I do 100% better when I eat really small amounts. If I overeat volume wise, I feel sick, no matter what I've eaten.

My problem is that I'm a moody eater, i.e. I get "in the mood" for certain things. So this makes it hard to eat sometimes, particularly if I can't have what I'm in the mood for. This just shows me how much of "hunger" can often be based on things other than true hunger. I guess what I'm find hardest about the gluten-free/cf diet is that I can no longer indulge my usual cravings. There's plenty out there to eat, it's just that I don't always want to eat those things. :angry:

marciab Enthusiast

I eat plenty of fiber, but the only thing I can count on working for "C" are oils such as EVOO, flax oil, and grapeseed oil. I usually add a tblsp to any grain or potato after I put it on my plate. And if you don't heat the oils you still get the Essential fatty acids (omegas) from them. Start slow though, because until your body gets used to it, you might cramp.

Good luck marcia

I forgot to mention that your constipation could be tied to the Prilocec. Those types of drugs are known for causing "C" and sometimes D". I had trouble with all of them. marcia

key Contributor

Carole,

I am such a mood eater! That is my biggest problem. If I am not in the mood for whatever there is, then I just don't eat!

Marcia,

I will try the flaxseed oil. I have used it before in shakes. My C is different then most. More of an IBS thing. Hard to explain. I really think the worst trigger for me is caffeine, which I am considering giving up once again. It isn't good for me I know, but I always end up back on it. I am addicted to the stuff. Thanks for the Prilosec tip. I have had this problem on and off for months though. The worst part is that I felt GREAT for like six months after going gluten free. Better then I had felt for a long time and then something crazy happened and I seem to be up and down again.

Jen,

I have never eaten meat in my life. Therefore it has always sort of grossed me out. I know that is strange for those that have eaten it for life, but for me it is very difficult. My husband doesn't eat it either, so I never learned to cook it. THanks for the advice though about different things to eat. I need to put more time into cooking different things. I just want to have recipes that I know are going to be good once I am through with them. I would like to get better at trying to cook with tofu, but I always end up cooking my same recipes. Usually Mexican food.

Does anyone else cook gluten items for the rest of their family. I do my best to wash my hands after handling stuff with gluten, but I sort of think I felt better over the period of time that I didn't feed my family any wheat either.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am going to try the Magnesium. Hopefully that will help. I already take probiotics, garlic, multi-vitamin, vit. C and a supplement for bone health. Tried enzymes, but didnt' really notice a difference. I do drink alot of water already. If I am consistent about drinking Citrucel everyday two times, that helps, but I hate drinking that stuff two times a day. Up until a year ago, I never had issues with either D or C! I think it happened after my third baby and I was under alot of stress. I want my old body back!

Thanks for listening and for the suggestions.

MOnica

Lollie Enthusiast

I don't cook gluten stuff for my family. We all eat the same meal. I f we go out or if the DH is taking the kids for an evening out, then they get gluten, but at home ..... no gluten.

lollie

penguin Community Regular
I have never eaten meat in my life. Therefore it has always sort of grossed me out. I know that is strange for those that have eaten it for life, but for me it is very difficult. My husband doesn't eat it either, so I never learned to cook it. THanks for the advice though about different things to eat. I need to put more time into cooking different things. I just want to have recipes that I know are going to be good once I am through with them. I would like to get better at trying to cook with tofu, but I always end up cooking my same recipes. Usually Mexican food.

Wow! For heaven's sake, don't eat meat now! It would likely make you sicker than a dog!

There's a lot of vegetarian thai food that you could make...

A lot of it isn't very hard, either and uses rice noodles, they also use a lot of tofu.

You could also go for indian food, curried veggies and tofu are great!

key Contributor

Yeah, I need to get some good recipes that are gluten-free and dairy free. That would make my life alot more interesting!

I don't think I will start eating meat, because I do think it would make me as sick as a dog. I doubt I would even have the digestive enzymes for it. THere are plenty of things to eat without eating meat. It is more the dairy that gets me.

Well, thanks for all the responses. Hopefully I will get straightened out! I think I need to cut back on the gluten-free breads and cheese and I will be happier.

Monica

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

This started before I went gluten-free, but I need help, as well. I take Zelnorm, 6 mg (vs 3) 2 times a day, 2 Colace at night, put flax seed on everything I eat, try to eat raw veggies, eat TONS of prunes, raisins, drink lots of water, and yet . . . . .nothing. We're talking up to 10-12 days. Very uncomfortable. Any recommendations?

key Contributor

Lynne,

I am sorry you are dealing with C. That is horrible. It sounds like you are trying too. Do you drink caffeine at all?? I am trying to figure out if this is a trigger for my problem. I am trying LExapro right now, but who knows. I have only taken it for like 5 days at half the dose. I don't like drugs at all! I am very anti-drugs, but when this all started I was having a ton of stress, so I was wondering if that was part of the problem. I have read some stuff about ssri's and IBS. Anyway, I do drink citrucel twice a day and that seems to help the most. I am very active, thin, vegetarian, etc. My problem seems to be more with IBS-C and not just C. DOes that make sense. I don't even know if it does for me, but anyway.

I wish I had the answers. I do seem better without caffeine, but I can't seem to kick the habit.

MOnica

CMCM Rising Star

Monica...I had to laugh when I read your comment that if you can't eat what you're in the mood for, you just don't eat. ME TOO! My husband thinks it strange...to him, if you're hungry you eat SOMETHING. But it doesn't work that way for me!

As for how I cook, it's all gluten free but then my husband might eat breakfast with a piece of toast whereas I won't have that. I've stopped cooking my old recipes with gluten, for the most part. My son wanted macaroni for his birthday and I made that for him, and then I cheated and ate some too and it was SOOOO good. But I paid for it big time. Mostly for me, I've got to not be around anything bad, and not buy it, because I'm still new enough to all this that my strength of resolve is not so great yet. And I get depressed about it sometimes, and angry, and then I eat something I shouldn't.... :(

Bonnie Explorer

Lynne,

I can so empathise with you. I have had chronic C every since I can remember. I thought going gluten-free would help but 10 months down the line, nothing. I don't go at all unless I take something but whatever I take stops working eventually and I have to find something else! I do not take OTC laxatives but try and stick to herbal/natural remedies.

I eat loads of fruit and veg, I take lots of magnesium every day, I've tried everything with no luck.

Please let me know if you find anything that helps!!

Yvonne

key Contributor

Carole,

I had inconclusive blood tests. THey were borderline. I know I have it and my son has it too, but I get so sick when I eat wheat that I won't eat it for a biopsy. I had a hard time though,. I would think it was in my head and maybe I just had IBS and then eat something and be so sick! Then say to myself, "I won't do that again!" About 6 weeks later, I would feel SO great I would once again "forget" how bad I felt before and do it again. More as a "test" then because I really wanted the food. Anyway, it is almost a year now and I don't do it willingly now and if I am ever even tempted to do it, I tell my husband that knows how I was before and what happens to me when I do eat it and he says "NO!, don't do it!!!" So that has really helped. My mom wasn't a support at all and thinks it is all in my head. Having someone constantly put doubts in your head is terrible! Try and find someone that knows how much better you are and have them be a support to you. I was really depressed six months into it, but that was partly because I was eating McCann's oats and they aren't gluten free, so I was already miserable from them, but didn't realize it for awhile. It was very subtle, compared to when I am usually gluttened. I do usually get diarhea if I get gluten.

I hope you find answers to your C problem. My mom has battled it severely. Worse then me. I am trying to get her tested for celiac, but she has been to idiot doctors. Mine is nothing compared to hers.

Yvonne,

I am sorry you have such struggles. It really is a miserable thing. SOmething that seems really simple , but isn't. Do you drink caffeine at all? Do you eat dairy? I know with my mom she is worse at sometimes then others and it doesn't seem to have anything to do with what she eats. She is also vegetarian.

Monica

mamaw Community Regular

I'm sorry you are having a bad time of it. I too have the BIG C. I don't eat alot of dairy and not much bread anymore, usually one slice a day maybe. I take probiotics, cal- mag. pills eat veggies daily with tons of fruit and I still can't go plus I bloat up like a dead deer along the highway, I drink no soda pop, no milk except for occas. ice cream. I do do yogurt daily.I drink 1/2 gallon of water daily plus up to three teas' per day.

I don't know what else to do.... I got desperate last week and got a bottle of critrate of mag (10 oz) and the pharmacy said you'll go with that piece of dyamite...... well let me tell you there was no volcano eruption happening for me. Even when you take the stuff for the colonoscopy I had to drink the total amount before I even had cramps and thought about having a bm. My hubby did the same test and drank the same crap and he was running with the first glass// I been tested for all kinds of things to see if I had another problem but the only thing they tell me is I have twisted intestines around the S.......

There are alot of people who can't be vegan. I really tried it and after a few weeks I was ready to eat the hand that keeps me!!!! My doctor said not everyone can do that diet and some people has to have meat. , maybe you should start out slow and try some mild fish or a bit of chicken. I don't do tuna .... You can order fesh wild alaskan salmon from SEABEAR plus they do carry I think halibut ... I don't eat farm raised salmon or any farm raised fish due to the injections given to the fish.... If it doesn't say wild then it isn't...............

I also like cod and haddock . I sometimes bread it with the southern style gluten-free crumbs or else I bake it in O>J> or butter with lots of garlic. Salmon I think is best grilled with lemon or your favorite spices..... You really can't mess salmon up... I also have used my homemade wine to bake it in.

Have you tried lentils ?????

good luck to you

mamaw

key Contributor

I think I will have to try salmon when someone else has cooked it and I have heard it is best from Alaska. I have looked in the stores, but can't bring myself to cook it. I have heard it is good with lemon and other seasonings.

Sorry you have such bad problems with C. I don't know what to tell you. My mom is miserable most the time with it and nothing works.

If I drink citrucel that helps me the most. I drink it twice a day. It is very annoying though to just wake up with this problem. Never had it in my life! It started after my third baby. I am trying to figure out if it has to do with being gluttened or not. Sometimes I think the gluten-free breads and stuff don't have much fiber, but fiber isn't my problem. If I eat a bunch of fiber it just makes me miserable!

It happens in spurts with me and hoping to figure out what causes it to get worse.

Flaxseeds did nothing but make my stomach hurt. I did grind them. I need to cut back on caffeine. I believe that would help the most. I do drink alot of water in between.

I exercise too like crazy.

Thanks for all the advice.

Monica

penguin Community Regular

I love salmon with hollandaise sauce. I make it from scratch and it is heavenly. If you eat eggs, you may try making some along with your salmon. I use the recipe in the joy of cooking.

It can be hard for some people to make, because the sauce can break very easily. It's all in the wrist :P

tarnalberry Community Regular
I exercise too like crazy.

A lot of exercise can affect your digestive system as well. You might try cutting your exercise in half for a week, and seeing if that makes any difference.

Archived