Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

• You've found your Celiac Tribe! Join our like-minded, private community and share your story, get encouragement and connect with others.

💬

• Sign In

High TTG IGG while on strict gluten-free diet? (Doc snuck in celiac blood test)

Rate this topic

Hi all,

I recently had some labs done for some recurrent issues I'm having (neuropathic pain, rashes), and my PCP snuck in a celiac disease panel. The results came back normal for everything except for TTG-IGG (which was 7; apparently less than 5 is normal). I'm on a strict gluten-free diet already (long story), but my PCP quoted this test result as  "weak positive"-- but she is not a GI doc or celiac expert by any means. She said I need to followup with my GI doc.

Not looking for opinions as to whether or not I'm celiac, because that is a whole long story, and I'm not wiling to try another gluten challenge. I was just wondering if anyone knows how relevant this particular test is (TTG-IGG) for a person who is already strictly avoiding gluten? Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yes, it is very relevant for people who are already avoiding gluten.  

Ttg Igg is a reliable test for Celiac.  You should follow up with a GI doctor as your personal physician suggested.  An endoscopy with the GI doctor can give insight into what's going on.  

Also request testing for vitamin and mineral deficiencies.  

Keep us posted on your progress!

Hope this helps!

On 10/22/2020 at 2:31 AM, knitty kitty said:

Yes, it is very relevant for people who are already avoiding gluten.  

Ttg Igg is a reliable test for Celiac.  You should follow up with a GI doctor as your personal physician suggested.  An endoscopy with the GI doctor can give insight into what's going on.  

Also request testing for vitamin and mineral deficiencies.  

Keep us posted on your progress!

Hope this helps!

Thank you @knitty kitty! My GI doc agrees with you, and I am getting endoscopy on Thursday. Will keep you posted.