Katie O'Rourke

Is Kissing Gluten Free?

Rate this topic

It's not safe. It sounds to me like the posters here have varying degrees of physical reactions to gluten. I've been gluten'd 3 times from kissing my fiancee. I make her brush her teeth and rinse with mouthwash after we've been eating out, now, and then wait another 2 hours (just to be certain enough time has been given for the saliva to break down any gluten) with her not eating anything and drinking only gluten-free. It's not an issue if we eat in because there normally isn't any gluten in my house and I don't often eat at her place.

I also just figured out my allergy to gluten, and it is a learning process discovering what is prohibited. I'm blessed to have a clear physical reaction to even a small amount, now (some Celiacs can go the majority of their lives with mild symptoms and then end up really sick later in life), so I know within 24 hours if I've eaten anything that's come into contact with gluten.

Yesterday evening, I was served a dish which had bread on the edge of the plate, barely touching my food. The rest of the food was gluten-free. I removed the food that had touched the bread, wiped down the part of the plate that had touched the bread with a napkin, and tried eating the rest of my dinner. This morning I got mildly sick (compared to if I eat a spaghetti noodle and stay sick for 3 days). Thats what my intolerance is like; I know not to try that again.

My advice, if you're Celiac, don't kiss any mouth which has had recent contact with gluten. If you aren't sure, better safe than sorry.

mouthwash usually has gluten..

mouthwash usually has gluten..

Most mouthwash, in the USA, does not contain gluten. What mouthwash have you found with gluten?

The person you are replying to posted that 4 years ago and I don't think they are still around the forum.