Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jkmunchkin

The Gift Baskets Are Starting

I have to say, I never really have any problems with remaining gluten free, and never feel deprived. But damn does it suck when all the gift baskets and treats start rolling into the office during the holiday season!!

It's like everywhere you turn there is another tub of popcorn, chocolate covered pretzel, cheese & cracker spread, cookies, ect. Granted I know there is some of it we can eat (like probably the popcorn), but I'm so trained to read labels, that I'm afraid to eat anything that comes in just a general tin with the slight possibility I can get sick.

That's it, I'm having a fruit basket sent to the office!!!! LOL!

Jillian

Positive Blood test and Biopsy

Inflamed stomach lining

Gluten free since July 6, 2005

Tarrytown, NY

"Sometimes being a b$tch is all a woman has to hold onto." - Dolores Claiborne

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Pretty sappy, but I re-gift my baskets, or portions thereof, to the homeless people and street musicians I see on my way to work.

"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"

- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

I have to say, I never really have any problems with remaining gluten free, and never feel deprived. But damn does it suck when all the gift baskets and treats start rolling into the office during the holiday season!!

It's like everywhere you turn there is another tub of popcorn, chocolate covered pretzel, cheese & cracker spread, cookies, ect. Granted I know there is some of it we can eat (like probably the popcorn), but I'm so trained to read labels, that I'm afraid to eat anything that comes in just a general tin with the slight possibility I can get sick.

That's it, I'm having a fruit basket sent to the office!!!! LOL!

You totally should! And then, after everyone says how yummy it looks, tell them you can eat EVERYTHING in it! :)

Pretty sappy, but I re-gift my baskets, or portions thereof, to the homeless people and street musicians I see on my way to work.

What a great idea! I will probably do that if I get anything I can't eat or DH won't eat.

Hopefully everyone who is thinking of bringing me anything will be considerate enough to remember that I can't eat normal stuff! I hear ya though, it does suck! That's why you make a batch of really good cookies or candy, and keep them in the freezer for when you're struck with the temptation to cheat!

I've thought about making gluten-free gift baskets to give to people, but making all those cookies gluten-free would be so much more expensive! I"m just going w/ peppermint bark. Easy enough :) Plus I can eat it!!!

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

Jillian,

Girl, I completely understand!!!!!!! :D The place I work at is notorious for its wonder cooks and people who bring in magnificent food for pot lucks, etc. Oh, the irony.

I'd send you a gluten free basket :)

Laura

I understand completely, I work in a hospital and vendors bring all sorts of gluteny-goodies. Yesterday one of my nurses came back with this box of really expensive cookies and everyone raved over them. I understand they are enjoying it, but can't they do it in a little quieter sense.

I also do not have a problem sticking to the diet but certain things can just rub you in the wrong way. Would it really kill people to send fruit salad or something everyone can enjoy?

~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

36_22_10[1].gif

I hear you! Today we had our office holiday lunch. Quite a spread of beautiful food, and the only thing I found that I knew was safe was the bottled water. LOL! Fortunately, I brought my own food so I could at least eat with everyone else.

Think of the calories we all save! It's so much more difficult for us to make and get snack foods that we won't spend the whole month of January burning off our holiday mistakes. Ahhhh . . . aren't we lucky!

2010- Gluten, Soy, Corn, Dairy, Eggs, Nut free. Sugar, non-gluten grains lite(Yes, still plenty to eat!)

2010-Doctor diagnosed me as Celiac then took diagnoses back, then said avoid gluten for life

I hear you too! I'm off to our yearly office Christmas party tonight and there will be NOTHING there I can eat. I'll eat before I go!

luvs2eat

Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas

positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy

diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day

Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

Jillian-

Yeah, bring on the fruit :0) Nothing can beat those Harry & David Royal Riveria Pears. They are amazing! Big around this time of year. I got a fruit of the month club for my b-day from Harry & David...who needs yucky caramel corn or baked goods !? :P

~~~~~~~

Jen

Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005

dairy-free

I'd send you a gluten free basket :)

LOL!!! Thanks babe. ;)

I understand completely, I work in a hospital and vendors bring all sorts of gluteny-goodies. Yesterday one of my nurses came back with this box of really expensive cookies and everyone raved over them. I understand they are enjoying it, but can't they do it in a little quieter sense.

OMG, I have a friend at work and her mom always sends her homemade cookies. But she'll send like tons and tons of cookies. So she puts them out for everyone to take. Ofcourse her and I sit next to each other, so guess where the cookies are! I've never heard people go on about cookies the way everyone does. This one guy literally stands there forming a game plan of which order he is going to eat the different varieties, and makes "yummm" sounds the entire time and saying how it is the most amazing cookies ever. I'm not even a huge cookie person but I actually contemplated trying one and getting glutened just to see what the big f'ing deal was. LOL!!!

You just have to laugh!

Jillian

Positive Blood test and Biopsy

Inflamed stomach lining

Gluten free since July 6, 2005

Tarrytown, NY

"Sometimes being a b$tch is all a woman has to hold onto." - Dolores Claiborne

You know what also would be good is smoked salmon. Then serve it on a nice tray with cream cheese and rice crackers. I think they run about $30 a pound but I know all those gift baskets are expensive.

Gail

Gluten Free since Jan. 06

Gluten intolerant. DQ 0301 DQ 0602

Lactose intolerant.

you know what pisses me off? we didn't go to my husband's holiday dinner (nothing I could eat, it was premade), and turns out they gave everyone there a $100 gift card to costco. I sure could have used that! oh the injustices we suffer!

Sweetfudge

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Go to the dinners and bring your own.....people are amazing. More and more are understanding of the Celiac condition, they know someone or are related- you know. I brought a purse with a baggie of turkey and some rolls and pretzels and cookies for dessert, there was nothing on the buffet to eat. I was sitting at a table with a fellow Celiac and I shared my dinner with her. There was a guy who was diabetic and someone else had a lactose intolerance. People are aware , they are not going to have a gluten free buffet but you can enjoy other people's company, I just laugh a lot. The peppermint bark sounds good, I made some last year for Christmas and some gluten-free white chocolate and reg. chocolate covered pretzels. Preparation is the key to a happy holiday. (Must go prepare) :P Brenda

Brenda Diagnosed Celiac 2005 Woodville, Massachusetts

WE'll be headed to Houston soon and staying at my brother's house. He always gets hundreds and hundreds of dollars worth of cookies, candies, pies, hams, pecans.....I weaken every year to the sweets. I have a yeast problem I constantly battle with.

This year I HAVE TO stick to ONLY safe items. I'll miss the homemade brownies the most!! :(

Negative biopsy for celiac 1980

Fibromyalgia 1980

IBS 1980

Interstitial Cystitis 1992

Systemic yeast

Diagnosed w/ Chronic Lyme Disease 2000

Diagnosed w/ Chronic babesia 2000

Tachycardia 2001

Asthma 2005

Have had Lyme and babesia for

about 48 yrs.

Began gluten-free July 19 '06

Native TEXAN living in Missouri

Go to the dinners and bring your own.....people are amazing. More and more are understanding of the Celiac condition, they know someone or are related- you know. I brought a purse with a baggie of turkey and some rolls and pretzels and cookies for dessert, there was nothing on the buffet to eat. I was sitting at a table with a fellow Celiac and I shared my dinner with her. There was a guy who was diabetic and someone else had a lactose intolerance. People are aware , they are not going to have a gluten free buffet but you can enjoy other people's company, I just laugh a lot. The peppermint bark sounds good, I made some last year for Christmas and some gluten-free white chocolate and reg. chocolate covered pretzels. Preparation is the key to a happy holiday. (Must go prepare) :P Brenda

Lymetoo...we had a gluten-free cookie exchange last week, and I ate the best, moistest brownies! I will post the recipe. What can you not tolerate?

I will get that recipe for peppermint bark up too, when I get a chance :)

Sweetfudge

When I made the peppermint bark I melted a bag of white chocolate chips , semi sweet chocolate would work too, then I added crushed up candy canes. Put it on a silicone mat or a cookie sheet with a little butter or spray , or a marble slab. Let it cool break it up and eat- it takes very little effort. Enjoy

Brenda Diagnosed Celiac 2005 Woodville, Massachusetts