This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Hair Loss

lonewolf

lonewolf Collaborator

I did a search and found several threads related to hair loss in women, but I still didn't quite get the information I'm looking for.

I'm still relatively young (just turned 44) and have been dealing with thinning hair for the past several years. It got a little better when I started on thyroid medication (Armour) and way worse when I had to be on prednisone. I've been off the prednisone for over 3 years, but my hair has never grown back to what it was before.

I am strictly gluten free and soy free, for the most part dairy free and rarely eat anything with egg in it. My thyroid tests have all been coming back great and I have no reason to think that I need to up my dosage. I eat very healthy, get lots of exercise, don't drink, smoke or take any other medications (just multi vitamins, calcium, magnesium and vitamin D). My 79 year old mother has a thick head of hair, as do my sisters.

My hair is so noticeably thin that it's embarrassing. I can't help but notice that when I'm talking to someone taller than me they stare at my scalp. I'm starting to do the horrible part on the side thing to cover up the empty spot by brushing it sideways.

I should mention that I also have psoriasis that has been bad and I just got put on antibiotics and was given some steroid cream (which I'm using sparingly). It's clearing up quickly.

Does anyone have any advice? I'm at wits end. If we could afford to get a hair transplant I'd do it in a heartbeat. I'm even thinking about trying Rogaine, but I hate the thought of more chemicals or medications.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

Hi Liz,

I am not sure what advice to offer, my hair did grow back once gluten free. I would look at getting all your vitamin levels tested just in case it is something that minor. I do understand how you feel though, I lost alot before diagnosis.

jerseyangel Proficient

Liz,

I wish I had some insight--but I'm in the same boat as you are :(

The year before I was diagnosed, I lost lots of hair in clumps. There were actual bald spots in a couple places. I think that had to do with vitamin deficiencies and the severe anemia I had at the time.

After I went gluten-free, the anemia resolved within 6 months and my hair stopped falling out. The bald spots filled in (I had to get my hair cut short to blend it all in :angry: ).

Now, I seem to be losing it from all over--the only place it looks noticeably thin is on the top at the part (which I can hide a little by wearing a headband or a side part :ph34r: ). The rest of it looks pretty good, but I worry about what it's gonna look like if I keep losing at this rate.

I'm wondering if in both of our cases, hormones might be to blame? I had a hysterectomy in Jan. and do not take HRT. I know that this can happen in perimenopause, too, as hormones are fluxuating.

Considering all we have to deal with--this really isn't fair <_<

lonewolf Collaborator
I'm wondering if in both of our cases, hormones might be to blame? I had a hysterectomy in Jan. and do not take HRT. I know that this can happen in perimenopause, too, as hormones are fluxuating.

Considering all we have to deal with--this really isn't fair <_<

Patti,

You're right, it ISN'T fair. Especially for someone as nice as you! I've thought about the hormone thing too, but I haven't even hit perimenopause yet. I might go back to my naturopath and see if she'll do some bloodwork for vitamin levels and hormone levels.

Have you even thought of Rogaine? I'm seriously getting desperate enough to think about trying it.

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Hi girls....

I, too, was losing hair in clumps before dx, nearly two years ago. But, in spring of this year, I started taking Biotin (a B vitamin) recommended for hair and nails, and I noticed a HUGE difference. I also still take iron a few days a week. My hair doesn't reach the length it once did (but I'm nearly 46 so things are changing - arrrrrgh!), but, it's really all grown back in.

Try the biotin......it's not cheap - I think it was almost $30 for the bottle of 200 capsules. It's 2500 mcg, once a day. I noticed a difference in about two months.

I WOULD try rogaine if my hair really things again though....a girl's gotta have hair. And yes, HAVEN"T we been dealt with enough???? :angry:

jerseyangel Proficient

OMG Susie,

Biotin...that is connected to oxalates :o I'm not completely clear on exactly how, but I'm sure going to find out.

Thanks sweetie :)

DingoGirl Enthusiast
OMG Susie,

Biotin...that is connected to oxalates :o I'm not completely clear on exactly how, but I'm sure going to find out.

Thanks sweetie :)

Hi Patti! :)

what - what does that mean - connected to oxalates? :huh: I know some of you are on the low- or no-oxalate diet....

Let us know what you find out!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

silly celiac Rookie

I never considered hair loss to be a problem for me (even though I was losing a drain-clogging wad of it in every shower) because I have thick, long hair. Of course I'll shed more than others, right? Well, I just switched to a new shampoo a few weeks ago because I thought perhaps the wheat in it may be causing problems with my skin and wouldn't you know it- not only is the skin on my hands and arms improving, but I immediately noticed that I was losing significantly less hair! So I don't know if that could be of any help to you...

(although should I be happy, with my afro-prone hair, that I will no longer be thinning it out every day? ;) )

Michi8 Contributor

Liz, I've been losing hair (equally all over my head) for a couple of years now. Because I have a very thick head of hair, it isn't noticable yet...and thus doctors haven't taken it as seriously as I'd like.

All my tests have come back "normal" too, so the best the dermatologist could do for me was to tell me it's "normal hair loss" and give me Rogaine. I have yet to use it though...I don't need one more chemical to put on my skin, as I'm sensitive to way too much stuff anyway.

Michelle

jerseyangel Proficient
Hi Patti! :)

what - what does that mean - connected to oxalates? :huh: I know some of you are on the low- or no-oxalate diet....

Let us know what you find out!

Susie,

I found this--"Biotin works inside certain enzymes called carboxylases, but these enzymes won't work properly if the level of oxalate in their environment is too high."

I didn't mean to go off on an oxalate tangent (sorry Liz :) ) but I got all excited when you brought up biotin.

Since biotin is absorbed in the upper small intestine, it makes sense that we would benefit from supplimenting it.

lonewolf Collaborator
Susie,

I found this--"Biotin works inside certain enzymes called carboxylases, but these enzymes won't work properly if the level of oxalate in their environment is too high."

I didn't mean to go off on an oxalate tangent (sorry Liz :) ) but I got all excited when you brought up biotin.

Since biotin is absorbed in the upper small intestine, it makes sense that we would benefit from supplimenting it.

Susie and Patti,

This is very relevant! I just remembered that my naturopath gave me a bottle of Biotin to take (just last week) and I'd already forgotten to take it. I'll get right on that!

And I haven't made it over to the oxalate thread - I'm dreading having to cut out anything else, so I don't even know what oxalates are.

jerseyangel Proficient
This is very relevant! I just remembered that my naturopath gave me a bottle of Biotin to take (just last week) and I'd already forgotten to take it.

OMG! Isn't that something! :D

I'm going to try the biotin, too...Liz, is it the same dosage as Susie takes?

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I deal with this also. I up my vitamins when it happens. One thing I wanted to mention is Do NOT use Rogaine without seeing if they have changed the formula. It has had wheat in it. I know the Mens is on the NIH's 'hidden gluten' list and don't know for sure if the womens is too so be sure to check.

Lisa Mentor

When I was first diagnoses, I had clumps falling out. My blood work indicated that I was low in Folic Acid and B-12. I bumped those up and the hair loss slowed and I had alot of new growth.

I have since slacked off those supplements and the hair loss seems more noticeable. So, back to the Folic and B-12.

From every one's post, there seems to be a common denominator.

lonewolf Collaborator
OMG! Isn't that something! :D

I'm going to try the biotin, too...Liz, is it the same dosage as Susie takes?

I'm at work now - gotta run to class, but I think it's the same dosage. She gave me something else for my skin that also has biotin in it. I'll look tonight and get back here.

lonewolf Collaborator
I deal with this also. I up my vitamins when it happens. One thing I wanted to mention is Do NOT use Rogaine without seeing if they have changed the formula. It has had wheat in it. I know the Mens is on the NIH's 'hidden gluten' list and don't know for sure if the womens is too so be sure to check.

Thanks for the tip! I wouldn't have even thought about that. I am sensitive to wheat in any form in lotions or shampoos. Last thing I need is a major rash on my head where my hair is thin!

Janeti Apprentice

Before I was diagnosed(Feb'07) I was losing clumps of hair, and my nails were snapping like a piece of plastic. Then slowly over the next couple of months, things seemed to be getting better. I just had bloodwork 2 weeks ago, and my levels are fine. Now I am losing clumps of hair again, I can't figure it out. I do take vitamins daily, including sublingual b12. I'm not sure what else I can do. I really didn't have much hair to begin with :o Janet

lonewolf Collaborator

Wow, I guess I'm really not alone. I'm sorry so many other people have the same problem. Going gluten-free definitely isn't the key for me. I'm EXTREMELY diligent and have been gluten-free for quite a while and very gluten light for 11 years.

I took my Biotin this afternoon. My bottle is "Thorne Research" brand and I got it at my naturopath's office. I think it was only $19 for 60 capsules of 8,000 mcg. I'm taking two a day. She also gave me something called "Luminous" from Vitanica. It has vitamins C, D2, E, Biotin, Calcium, magnesium, selenium, zinc and some herbs.

jerseyangel Proficient

Thanks Liz :)

loraleena Contributor

Have you had your thyroid checked? This is a common symptom of hypothyroidism. Make sure your doc does a whole panel including thyroid peroxidase antibodies.

lonewolf Collaborator
Have you had your thyroid checked? This is a common symptom of hypothyroidism. Make sure your doc does a whole panel including thyroid peroxidase antibodies.

I've had my thyroid checked and rechecked. I know my doc has done several different types of testing (freeT-3, antibodies and who knows what else). I'm on Armour thyroid and have been for 11 years.

jerseyangel Proficient

I've also had my thyroid checked--numerous times. <_<

Thinning hair in women does run in my family--my mom, who is 75, wears a wig because her's is just too sparse to style anymore.

One of my sisters has the thinning also--she's only 43 and her hair is thinner than mine.

An aunt and grandmother on my mom's side are (were) also had the thinning.

I'm trying biotin, but I might just be doomed :(

mftnchn Explorer

I'm another one with a similar story. I think it is amazing how many of us have similar stories here.

My hair begin falling out in clumps roughly 2 years before I went gluten-free. It got so bad that I wore wigs for 6 months. Dermatologist said it was a metabolic issue, she thought hormones as I had started taking progesterone a few months earlier. Used Rogaine for 3-4 months. I also started using Nioxin products. It grew back really well, and also naturally curly. Now it is falling out again (no longer using Nioxin because it has gluten), but a little all over rather than in clumps.

I take a good B complex, seems like it should be enough. I wish Nioxin was gluten free!

(If any of you need a good human hair wig, PM me. I found a factory here in China that made me a good quality human hair wig for under $100. They have a website, I should be able to find it.)

holiday16 Enthusiast

This can be so many things! Is your hair still falling out or has it stopped and you're just left with thin hair? I dealt with losing hair and thankfully even though my hair is very fine it's thick enough that it wasn't terribly noticeable except right at the front above my temples where I lost the most. I found that I was able to trace it back to 3 things. Hormones were off (even though blood didn't show it) and I take a progesterone cream for that now. If I have gluten I lose hair for a while and the third was a medication I was on. It really can be traced to so many things.

I had no idea how much hair I lost until I started using this hair serum cream. I only used it because it was a new product and I wanted to see what it was, but didn't expect real results because I didn't think I had lost that much hair. I was shocked at how much hair grew in. All along my hair line and the areas at my temple seem to be the most affected. The plus side is that I think with all the hair I kept losing and regrowing the majority of it has become curly which I've always wanted.

My brother has started losing hair and so has my husband. *If* I remember right both have been told that cheap hair products can clog the follicles causing hair loss so they both changed brands to try to stop more loss.

One other thing that can help hair growth although it seems odd is good circulation. The medication I was on made me lose hair because it affected my circulation which was one of the side effects, but it took some researching to figure out that poor circulation can actually cause hair loss.

mamaw Community Regular

There appears to be lots of us with thin hair.......... When I was young I had a thick head of hair, then I had so many surgeries that it started thinning alot.... Now, I'm losing lots of hair but I fell my loss is from the thyroid. I hardly have any hair in the front of my head. When I mention to my Endo he juss says "You will not go totally bald" I could just punch him. He's not one of the favorite people anyway..... He's only interested in Money... I have been trying to find a good endo in my area but haven't had success. My cardiogist says there are no good endo docs, none of them ever have emegencies , or issues that need immediate addressing... meaning they just don't care what the patient is going through.....

I realize there are more important things or illness to be concerned about but heck I don't want to have a shiny head showing.....I'm hypo at present. I'm hoping he will change my thyroid meds when I see him again. He keeps cahnging my appt.......

mamaw

Archived