Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shotzy1313

The Contamination Topic

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

the ice cube tray and bin in the freezer

contaminate by grabbing ice cubes with hands that have touched gluten, or stray crumbs from breaded items in the freezer

solution: (I just don't use icecubes anymore :unsure: ) Put your own supply in a covered container or ziplock? Any ideas?

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

Join eNewsletter

I have particular baked goods with gluten associated with holidays, and I'd love to bake them for other people, still. But how to decontaminate after baking them?

• Product example: Non-gluten flours for making homemade bread (wheat, semolina and rye).

• How to contaminate with the product: Breadmaking requires kneading by hand (I don't have a bread machine), touching the dough with your hands, kneading it on a floured surface, placing it in a breadpan, touching it again to turn the baked bread out.

• Solution to avoid contamination: (I'll have to skip the idea of buying a breadmaking machine, and it would have contamination problems if I used it for non-gluten breads anyway, so I'll ask for help here with traditional breadmaking by hand) OK here's the question: Will scrupulously washing down my counters after kneading the flour, and throwing away the papertowels or whatever I use to clean up the counter, then washing my hands be enough?

...And does anyone use things like lint rollers on the first round of crumb cleanup? :D

Join eNewsletter

10-06 Diagnosed Urinary Tract Infection (Allergic to Cipro, Bactrim, Macrobid, Doxycycline, Monocycline, Penicillin) - This UTI is still present with no symptoms.

10-06 Diagnosed "Acid Reflux" (Nexium didn't work)

12-06 Endoscopy diagnosed Gastritis (Negative Bioposy)

12-06 Negative bloodwork for Celiac Disease, Diagnosed "Gastroparesis" - Started Zelnorm

1-07 Diagnosed "IBS-C" - Still taking Zelnorm

3-07 HIDA scan to check gallbladder which was fully functional.

3-07 Zelnorm taken off market, started Domperidone

4-21-07 Emergency Appendectomy (FUUUNN!)

7-24-07 Enterolab results came back positive

Gluten Free since that night....

...Still not feeling great.

"Don't expect constant success, but strive for constant growth."

Join eNewsletter

contaminate by grabbing ice cubes with hands that have touched gluten, or stray crumbs from breaded items in the freezer

solution: (I just don't use icecubes anymore :unsure: ) Put your own supply in a covered container or ziplock? Any ideas?

The fridges with the built-in ice makers in the front door help with this. Not that you're going to buy a new fridge right now, but if you eventually need to get one it's something to consider.

Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.

Peanut-Free since July 2006.

Join eNewsletter

Product: Anything in pot on stove or in oven & one pot contains gluten-free food

Source of contamination: using same spoon to stir all pots - gluten from other pots get put in the gluten-free food pot

Solution: keep stirring spoon for the gluten-free food separate. mark spoon with dab of magic marker or nail polish to help keep it straight

Husband has Celiac Disease and

Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -

The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis

Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,

most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as

being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."

Serious Depressive state ensued

Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003

Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.

Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle

Developed neuropathy in 2005

Now has lymphadema 2006It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

Join eNewsletter

kitchen sponge

using said sponge to clean out a gluten-containing pot and then using the same sponge to do gluten-free dishes

separate cleaning sponges, use a fresh dish towel or paper towel each time

Join eNewsletter

I use the ziplock--works out fine.

Problem: Shared condiment jars

Another solution: Buy the squeeze type containers

Problem: Sponges

Solution: I don't use them. Instead, I use dish cloths that are thrown in the laundry at least once a day--or more often, as needed. Good for general germs, etc, also

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Join eNewsletter

We bought something at Walmart called Cubies, they're little ice-cube size pillow shaped refreezble containers of non-toxic substance, they're great! We use them for everything, we bought like 6 boxes and now we don't buy ice for trips anymore. And they're little, so they're good for drinks, too.

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

Join eNewsletter

Solution: I don't use them. Instead, I use dish cloths that are thrown in the laundry at least once a day--or more often, as needed. Good for general germs, etc, also

Hello. I am newly diagnosed (as of today). I'm learning a lot from reading this forum.

Question: Is it bad to use a dishwasher (to wash dished that have had glutened food on them)?

Join eNewsletter

Hello. I am newly diagnosed (as of today). I'm learning a lot from reading this forum.

Question: Is it bad to use a dishwasher (to wash dished that have had glutened food on them)?

Welcome to the family :D

Using the dishwasher is fine--just be sure to rinse the dishes well. You don't want to leave gluten crumbs or bits of food that could recirculate and end up back on the dishes.

We have a "mixed" household, and all of our dishes go in together--no problem.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Join eNewsletter

Great idea! Here's mine!

Product Example:

Bag of chips

How to Contaminate the Product:

Hands that have touched gluten reaching into the bag and contaminating product.

Solution to avoid Contamination:

• Individual bags of chips
  • Washing hands before sharing bag
  • Not sharing bag and pouring chips into individual containers before consuming

Product Example:

Kissing!

How to Contaminate the Product:

Eating gluten and then smooching someone who is gluten-free

Solution to avoid Contamination:

Brushing teeth (w/ gluten-free paste of course!) and washing mouth area thoroughly before smooching.

Join eNewsletter

Welcome to the family :D

Using the dishwasher is fine--just be sure to rinse the dishes well. You don't want to leave gluten crumbs or bits of food that could recirculate and end up back on the dishes.

We have a "mixed" household, and all of our dishes go in together--no problem.

Phew! Thank you. I was worried.

So now that you all know how lazy I am, carry on. :)

Really though, it's great to have this resource here. I didn't realize how much there would be to learn with all of this. And I always thought I had "paid my dues" being type 1 diabetic. Guess not, huh?

Join eNewsletter

Came up with another one, courtesy of a coworker

Office Coffee:

Open coffee pots can get crumbs in them. Try brewing coffee at your desk or seeing if you can get the closed coffee thermoses instead.

Office Coffee Condiments:

Coworkers try pouring excess back into the container, contaminating the whole thing. Use single-serving sugar and cream or bring your own from home and leave on your desk.

I just about had a heart attack the other day. The containers of sugar we buy have such a small hole, I never imagined someone would try to pour excess back in!!!

Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.

Peanut-Free since July 2006.

Join eNewsletter

My son leaves me a gluten trail I'm sure. He came home from work (Little Caesar's) covered in flour and plunked himself down at our computer. Grrrrr. I have asked him to go downstairs and change, shower, etc. So now I have to clean my computer desk, mouse and keyboard. Time to have another talk I know. I wonder how many times I've been glutened from this!!!!

Join eNewsletter

My son leaves me a gluten trail I'm sure. He came home from work (Little Caesar's) covered in flour and plunked himself down at our computer. Grrrrr. I have asked him to go downstairs and change, shower, etc. So now I have to clean my computer desk, mouse and keyboard. Time to have another talk I know. I wonder how many times I've been glutened from this!!!!

Wowzer tell him if he continues to do this he has to buy his own computer. They are pretty cheap these days and he probably needs his own anyway.

Join eNewsletter

I understand this is a concern for all of us. It would be beneficial for member old and new to read and post ways one’s food may be contaminated with gluten. I bet there are examples you never thought of. All input is appreciated.

Ok so here is how it works:

Great topic! So here's how it goes:

List

– “Product Example”

Avoid all gluten-processed foods, meds, previously-deemed-unworthy kitchen appendages and personal hygiene products. If you have to have processed foods, read the labels thoroughly.

– “How to Contaminate the Product”

Don't let anyone else touch your food or foodways.

– “Solution to avoid Contamination”

See above. :)

Btw, that was an interesting lesson in editing...

Margaret

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter