This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Avacados

misdiagnosed6yrs

misdiagnosed6yrs Apprentice

B)

Going shopping today for my elimination diet. It says to buy avacados. But not really sure how to eat them.

Any ideas?

Also, what do you make with tapioca flour? Its on the list.

I think eating salad is the way to go. Not sure what to use for dressing. Can I use oil and balsamic vinegar? Please don't say just oil. :(

Can anyone give some creative tips for my very limited diet?

What do you do with a bunch of fruit?

Same question with a bunch of veggies.

How about sweet potatoes.

I really am stuck. Please help :huh:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mango04 Enthusiast
B)

Going shopping today for my elimination diet. It says to buy avacados. But not really sure how to eat them.

Any ideas?

Also, what do you make with tapioca flour? Its on the list.

I think eating salad is the way to go. Not sure what to use for dressing. Can I use oil and balsamic vinegar? Please don't say just oil. :(

Can anyone give some creative tips for my very limited diet?

What do you do with a bunch of fruit?

Same question with a bunch of veggies.

How about sweet potatoes.

I really am stuck. Please help :huh:

You just eat it :D

Avocado - add some salt, grab a spoon, eat (yum). Or, put them on your salad. They make the oil and vinegar dressing creamy and good. Hmm, I put avocadoes on everything, but I'm not sure what else you can eat.

Veggies - steam them, grill them, roast them, sautee them, eat them raw. Organic veggies are good just as they are. You don't need to do much to them.

You can chop up sweet potatoes and bake them in the oven to make sweet potato fries.

I'm not sure if I'm really answering your question, but hopefully that helps a little.

You just eat it :D

Avocado - add some salt, grab a spoon, eat (yum). Or, put them on your salad. They make the oil and vinegar dressing creamy and good. Hmm, I put avocadoes on everything, but I'm not sure what else you can eat.

Veggies - steam them, grill them, roast them, sautee them, eat them raw. Organic veggies are good just as they are. You don't need to do much to them.

You can chop up sweet potatoes and bake them in the oven to make sweet potato fries.

I'm not sure if I'm really answering your question, but hopefully that helps a little.

Salad dressing? Sounds yummy. How do you do that? Just mix it in?

Thanks for the suggestions. You kinda helped. :D

When I cook the veggies... am I adding anything to them? honey, nuts,..... um.. I just don't know what I can have. All I know is it is very basic and I hate broing foods. I would rather not eat. Like today, I haven't eaten anything yet cause I have nothing to eat. I have food. It's just boring. I need to sweeten or spice or something. I can eat raw veggies and fresh fruit but that wont last two weeks. I'll end up starving myself and the diet will be a waste. :(

Bobbi

Mango04 Enthusiast
Salad dressing? Sounds yummy. How do you do that? Just mix it in?

Yup. You just mix the oil and vinegar in with your avocado and other veggies. As you toss the salad, the avo blends with the oil and makes a good creamy dressing. If you can have honey that's a good thing to add (wisk it into the oil and vinegar before you add it to the veggies). Yum....and not at all boring :D

Offthegrid Explorer

Aren't sweet potatoes considered nightshades? I haven't been eating them because I react to regular potatoes, but I haven't tried.

I have been using red wine vinegar from Wal-Mart with olive oil on my salads. Yum. The vinegar is labeled gluten-free.

Mango04 Enthusiast
Aren't sweet potatoes considered nightshades? I haven't been eating them because I react to regular potatoes, but I haven't tried.

No. Nightshade-free people eat sweet potatoes.

jerseyangel Proficient
Aren't sweet potatoes considered nightshades?

Nope--sweet potatoes are not nightshades. Just the white ones :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

I have been using red wine vinegar from Wal-Mart with olive oil on my salads. Yum. The vinegar is labeled gluten-free.

The Elimination diet says no potatoes but sweet potatoes are ok. It also suggests eating them very often. That does sound kinda strange huh? I hear bad things about white potatoes. So, maybe you should look into that. You might be missing out for nothing. :(

I'll chck out the vinegar thanks

Cherry Tart Apprentice

Hello there!

I'm afraid I don't know what's on your elimination diet, however, I recommend an avacado and tomato salad (cube both fruits, drizzle w/ olive oil, lemon, balsamic and sea salt - if your diet allows, throw in some feta cheese and some olives). As for sweet potatos, I like to slice them up, arrange on a cookie sheet, spray them with olive oil, sprinkle sea salt and coarse black pepper, and pop them in the oven for 15 minutes. Hope this helps a bit :)

Glutenfreefamily Enthusiast

I love avocado with salsa with chips or crackers and slicing up avocados dipping them with olive oil and sprinkling seasonings and baking them like a french fry.

For sweet potatoes I use this recipe a lot

Baked Cranberry with Sweet Potato

1 Cup fresh Pear, chopped big

1/2 Cup Raw Cranberries

3 Tablespoons Orange Juice Concentrate

1/2 Cup Dates, chopped

1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon

1/2 tsp. allspice

2 large Sweet Pots, cubed

Combine all ingredients and place in a baking dish with cover. Bake at 400 degrees until soft, about one hour depending on your stove. and serve hot.

larry mac Enthusiast
......Baked Cranberry with Sweet Potato (recipe)......

That sounds really good.

best regards, lm

tarnalberry Community Regular

On a strict elimination diet, you're not going to get a lot of variety, and that's one thing that can make it really really hard.

As for avocados, I love eating them plain. :)

CarlaB Enthusiast

I love avocados plain, with some salt. Yum. I also like them with tomatoes and cucumber.

You can bake sweet potatoes and put some butter and cinnamon on them.

Fruit -- if you cut it up and put it on a plate it makes it nicer to eat and seems like it is more varied. Can you have nuts? They're good on a fruit salad, too.

For veggies, you can cut them up and stir-fry them in oil ... or lightly steam them and serve them over rice ... make salads .... toss some steamed veggies into some rice pasta with olive oil ....

lizard00 Enthusiast

I am with the rest of you, I love avocadoes plain too!

They are great as guacamole (mash them up with tomatoes, cumin, onion if you like S&P). If you can eat rice and beans, it goes GREAT on top of that, makes for a great and filling meal.

I also like to make green smoothies, as an interesting way to get my greens... take a handful or two of spinach and blend it up with fruit of your choice. I like to do apples and bananas or pears. Add water to thin it out. Blueberries add great taste too. It is surprisingly yummy!!

Hope that helps too!

Glutenfreefamily Enthusiast

Thanks Larry I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Offthegrid Explorer

OMG! I CAN EAT SWEET POTATOES!?!?

SWEET!

:lol::D:P:lol::D:P

UPDATE::::

I LOVE AVACADOS

Thanks for suggesting them. So many of you eat them plain. They are very yummy.

So now, how much is too much?

:P:)

Bobbi

Sweetfudge Community Regular

lol too much avocado? never heard that one before! i second the green smoothie idea. we have this great mexican restaurant that makes killer smoothies, and my favorite is the diablo verde (green devil) - and the "secret ingredient" is avocado. sooo good! i ought to try and recreate it sometime :) save $3!

VioletBlue Contributor

Grumble grumble grumble . . . yeah, I remember looking them up. Sweet potatoes and Yams are not nightshades but from different families of plants. Didn't matter in my case, Sweet Potatoes made me sicker than potatoes did . . . sigh . . . But avacados are a wonderful food. When I can find good ones I eat them on or with everything. I make a cheese and avacado omlet. I love it in salads or cold pastas, or just as a side dish sliced with salt and garlic powder.

Violet

Nope--sweet potatoes are not nightshades. Just the white ones :)
  • 2 weeks later...
brendygirl Community Regular

You can beat or whip sweet potatoes like you would any mashed potato. Add br.sugar and butter.

I have a yummy recipe somewhere from allrecipes website (type avocado in the search box) for a stuffed avocado- it was kind of a lot of work to chop everything, but they were a HIT at my SuperBowl party one year- since everyone seemed to be on a diet and shunning the chips and sandwiches.

Sweetfudge Community Regular
You can beat or whip sweet potatoes like you would any mashed potato. Add br.sugar and butter.

I have a yummy recipe somewhere from allrecipes website (type avocado in the search box) for a stuffed avocado- it was kind of a lot of work to chop everything, but they were a HIT at my SuperBowl party one year- since everyone seemed to be on a diet and shunning the chips and sandwiches.

looking on all recipes site now. is it the avocado stuffed yams, seafood avocados, or tuna stuffed avocados?

lizard00 Enthusiast

Rock on Sweetfudge! I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as too much avocado! They are fantastic in a green smoothie and make it creamier. If you google greensmoothie, you can find all sorts of recipes.

Archived