Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ladybugIT

Help For Barcellona

Hello everybody,

I'm a new entry to the forum...I'm Italian and after reading some posted messages here I think I migth consider myself so lucky living in Italy??? ;) ...sure, Italy now is great for gluten-free food, we have restricted rules for anything concerning restaurants that must be certified as well as gluten-free foods by the national healt dept.

I use to travel a lot for work trips and personal also; I need help for Barcellona; I found out a reaturants recap but I need to know if I can also find fresh product such as gluten-free ham and sliced cheese in stores ; I will be in Barcellona 4 days and I will be based in Girona in a private house where I can cook my own food. So basically I think I will arrange with sandwiches. I discovered also a place with gluten-free entrepas that I will surely see.

Anyone also knows if there is something as "Pret a Manger" in England that could be faster that seating in a restaurant?...it's something like a fresh salad fast food.

Wait for your help!!

tks!

Paola

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi Paola :D

There are many 'Pret a manger' in England ...here's a list - although I'm not sure how safe they would be regarding cross contamination.

Regarding Barcelona - we have been to Spain since my husband's diagnosis and found eating out quite easy by printing off this restaurant card, and found it quite easy to buy naturally gluten-free foods in their supermarkets.

You might also want to contact the Spanish coeliac society - scroll down here for a list of recommended restaurants in the Barcelona area that cater gluten-free.

Happy Travels :)

It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required - Sir Winston Churchill

Nikki

Son diagnosed with Coeliac Disease Oct 2006 by biopsy (at age 13yrs)

black_cat.gif

Hi Nikky,

thanks for help, I feel quite confortable now with all these info and feel positive to find what I need in stores as well.

I will contact the Catalunya celiac society to ask for the celiac vademecum with guaranteed gluten-free foods in normal stores. Hope to find out online but no way, maybe it's me, I don't understand so well spanish!

Tks!!

Paola

Spanish words helpful for celiacs:

Tengo la enfermedad celiaca= I have celiac disease

Tiene esta cosa el gluten= Does this have gluten

No puedo comer= I can't eat

Tengo alergia a- I'm allergic to

harina= flour

trigo= wheat

avena= oats

I'm not sure about barley or rye though :-)

Gluten Free since 10/07

Mildly Lactose Intolerant, slight intestinal symptoms after eating milk products, but easily corrected with lactase enzyme

Endometriosis- DX'd 5/07

Gluten Antibodies- "negative"...don't know exact numbers, am highly suspicious...

DXed celiac 12-19-07 via genetics/elimination diet- DQ2 allele

Brother with Celiac, aspergers...his tests were all negative (he didn't have genetics done), including endoscopy, but he definitely is at the least gluten intolerant...highly suspect my mother has it as well- she has hyperthyroid, fibromyalgia, hemochromatosis, and now colon cancer, and she has been weak and exhausted and just generally sick. She's going to get tested.