Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I may be way off base, but I thought I'd ask here anyway. I have been gluten-free now for a month. My energy has returned, by digestion has calmed down, and I can sleep again. One of the things I have noticed is a type of acne-like breakouts on both my face and scalp. I also have a problem with food collecting in the deep pockets of my tonsils, which has really been worse since I went gluten-free. I am wondering if any of this is related. Is this some sort of detox from the yrs of gluten I had ingested? Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

This forum has given me so many answers and calmed so many fears, thanks to you all.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I've read that acne can get worse when you detox. It never made sense to me though. Seems like it's more likely that it just takes time to heal and your body is still trying to get rid of the toxins.

But how do you know you have food collecting in your tonsils? What are your symptoms exactly?

Osteoporosis, and sacroiliac arthritis diagnosed 32 yrs of age.  Chronic low wbc, Severe constipation, Migraines, severe GERD, multiple miscarriages, Sjrogen's disease, positive ANA, thyroid nodules (hyperthryoid), fatty liver disease with elevated enzymes, low vitamin D, low protein, IBS, SIBO, Discoid lupus, mulitple food allergies and massive hair loss.  I left my career because I was too sick to keep working, and it was devastating because I couldn't apply for disability without a diagnosis.  My daughter was a preemie and she has Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) and had a positive ANA and Rheumatoid Factor at 16 and now has been dx'd with Hashimoto's.

Allergic to:  corn, rice, beans, tomatoes, dairy.  Not diagnosed as celiac.

I have a similar type of acne that runs along the side of my face at my hairline and into my scalp. It looks a bit like acne but lasts for months. It started to get better after about of month of going gluten-free. I had never had it until about a year ago when my symptoms really started. Now that I did a challenge it is back

I think that it will eventually go away.

I've read that acne can get worse when you detox. It never made sense to me though. Seems like it's more likely that it just takes time to heal and your body is still trying to get rid of the toxins.

But how do you know you have food collecting in your tonsils? What are your symptoms exactly?

As gross as it is, I get pieces of putrified food stuck along the edges of the back of my throat. They break loose and cause the most awful taste and odor. My dr told me to gargle with peroxide, which is horrible in itself. I have always had this, but it is much more frequent since I went gluten-free. or maybe Im just paying more attention to everything now.

As gross as it is, I get pieces of putrified food stuck along the edges of the back of my throat. They break loose and cause the most awful taste and odor. My dr told me to gargle with peroxide, which is horrible in itself. I have always had this, but it is much more frequent since I went gluten-free. or maybe Im just paying more attention to everything now.

What you have are called "tonsil stones". You can do a search on them to get more information, but from what I can tell, some people just produce them and there's not a whole lot that can be done. I hope that the change in diet isn't the cause, because I get them too.