Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

flboysmom

Dough Enhancer/bread Making Questions

I am band new to gluten-free cooking/baking. I was wondering if a dough enhancer would be gluten-free. It contains yeast, that appears to be the only thing questionable as I'm not sure if the yeast would be gluten-free.

Also, if those of you who are experienced with making gluten-free breads are able to share your favorite recipes, I'd really appreciate it. I have two young sons who are craving hot dog buns and white toast. ;)

:) TIA!

Blessings,

Angie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yeast is gluten-free, but if this enhancer contains natural or artificial flavors, it might not be gluten-free. There are a multitude of possible questionable ingredients and places where wheat might be hidden. Your best bet is just to call the manufacturer.

I know the Gluten Free Pantry sells a dough enhancer that is gluten free. I add it to most of my baked goods.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Angie:

I've been using Betty Hagman's Bread Recipe - I think you can find it in the recipe section of this website. You need a bread machine to make it, because the dough is very thin. I've made a couple of changes to the recipe which I think make it better:

1) use buttermilk instead of the 1 cup milk plus 1 tsp vinegar (make sure your brand of buttermilk doesn't have any modified starch)

2) I add 1/3 cup ground flax seed.

If your boys want "white" bread you can leave out the flax seed, but honestly, it gives the bread a much better taste. My 3 yo daughter loves this bread and she is a pretty picky eater!

Good Luck :rolleyes: