This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

gluten-free And Nitrate Free Bacon?

Jaimepsalm63

Jaimepsalm63 Rookie

Hey all, I know this has been posted somewhere on here before...at least I think it has. Anyway, I found gluten-free bacon, but need it to be nitrate free too. Am I just out of luck? Looking not only for myself, but someone else. If you have any suggestions, if any can be found, that would be great.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

happygirl Collaborator

You may want to try Applegate Farms products. They are gluten free, and nitrate free.

Open Original Shared Link

lonewolf Collaborator

Trader Joe's carries pork and turkey bacon that are gluten-free and nitrate free. I think they are actually Applegate Farms products in the TJ's label.

jerseyangel Proficient

I second the Applegate Farms--it's delicious :D

Jaimepsalm63 Rookie

Thanks a bunch!! I've missed bacon for the longest time because of the nitrates which sets off migraines. I'll look up the link and the suggestions!!

Jaime

Juliebove Rising Star

The Applegate Farms is really good. I've been making a crockpot recipe with cut up uncured beef hotdogs wrapped with pieces of bacon, secured with toothpicks and layered with brown sugar. Daughter loves it! I don't eat hotdogs so I save the leftover bacon and cook it in a pan for myself. Yum!

celiac-mommy Collaborator

The Hormel natural line bacon is nitrate/nitrite free too. It's pretty good, and a little cheaper.

Mmmmmm, bacon!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cruelshoes Enthusiast

Wellshire farms makes bacon that is free of gluten and contains no nitrates/nitrites.

htOpen Original Shared Link

River Faerie Apprentice

I know that nitrates are not good for a person, but do they set off Celiac symptoms? My tummy has been sooo bloated the past couple days, and we did have "breakfast for dinner" the other night... Hmmm? Could that be my trouble?

• 4 weeks later...
sickchick Community Regular

I eat applegate farms... it's the best bacon I have ever had in my life :)

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Looked at some of the links to see if any had soy

Do any of you know about that one?

Applegate is the brand i use for lunch meats and the are so good tho pricey

Judy

Jenny (AZ via TX) Enthusiast

We use Applegate and Hormel Natural.

DMarie Apprentice

I wish I didn't have to drive all over timbuktu to find decent products!! It always seems like better choices like Wellshire Farms bacon or Hormel Natural are only in specialty stores (not regular grocery stores). :(

Jenny (AZ via TX) Enthusiast

I buy the Hormel Natural at either Safeway (Tom Thumb in Dallas area or I believe Ralphs in Texas) or Fry's (Krogers in Texas). Hopefully they will have it as well and you can get it when you do your regular grocery shopping.

DMarie Apprentice

Hi Jenny,

Thanks for the tips! I live in Fort Worth - so have Krogers and Tom Thumbs - both of which are fairly close by. :P

• 2 weeks later...
ang1e0251 Contributor

I don't know about nitrates/ites and celiacs but the last two times I had ham, I reacted. My friend also reacted. All I can think is the nitrites/ates. I'm going to try these alternatives and see how I feel.

• 3 weeks later...
angie291975 Newbie
Hey all, I know this has been posted somewhere on here before...at least I think it has. Anyway, I found gluten-free bacon, but need it to be nitrate free too. Am I just out of luck? Looking not only for myself, but someone else. If you have any suggestions, if any can be found, that would be great.

Thanks!

My grocery store hy-vee and my health store sells one..

Applegate..however its nealy 7 bucks a pack so now bacon becomes your steak!

My doctor said for my son to just increase his vitamin Cwhen consuming nitrates, and eat in moderation..because it depletes the Vitimain C. I hope this helps.

Angela

• 2 weeks later...
Jaimepsalm63 Rookie

Thanks for the info on the Vit C Angie!! I saw the price on the bacon and said to myself (gluten free products) and my son (who needs the nitrate free products) that the bacon will come 2x a year for Christmas morning and Easter Morning.....probably better for us anyway. My husband and other two kids weren't so happy though, oh well.

ang1e0251 Contributor

I am sensitive to nitrates also. I buy Hormel naturals. They are not expensive and are delicious. I understand they also make it, but I can't find it here. I buy their ham and pepperoni, both are excellant!

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
I am sensitive to nitrates also. I buy Hormel naturals. They are not expensive and are delicious. I understand they also make it, but I can't find it here. I buy their ham and pepperoni, both are excellant!

i enjoy the pepperoni. Do you know if this baccon from Hormel has soy?

judy

ang1e0251 Contributor

I couldn't answer that as I cannot find the bacon in my area. So I went to the Hormel website and it does not list soy in the Hormel Natural Uncured Bacon. Now to find it at one of my stores!

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
I couldn't answer that as I cannot find the bacon in my area. So I went to the Hormel website and it does not list soy in the Hormel Natural Uncured Bacon. Now to find it at one of my stores!

that was so nice of you

thanks so much

will watch out for it now.

judy

Lisa16 Collaborator

I have the nitrates/ nitrites problem too-- I flush bright red from my chest to the top of my head. Feed me a piece of lunchmeat and watch me glow like rudolph!

I also have a similar problem with sulfites/ sulfates (which also cause joint swelling) and MSG-- not to mention several topical sensitivities.

Is this set of sensitivities common with celiac disease, or is it a separate issue? Or is it something that shows up later, once you are off gluten for awhile and you can finally notice the other stuff that was making you sick?

Thanks for the tips! I have tried the hormel naturals hot dogs, which are quite good-- but that is all they carry around here :-(

Archived