This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Juror Questionnaire

lindalee

lindalee Enthusiast

They have a space to explain health. I have to fill out and mail in a few days.

I have no documentation of being celiac. Diagnosed as baby.

:unsure:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
wahmmy Apprentice

I'm thinking that celiac won't get you out of it unless they don't let you bring your own meal. I'd explain that I couldn't eat the food provided and if that's a problem then I can't do it.

Gemini Experienced

There should be no reason why you cannot serve as juror having Celiac Disease. Pack your own lunch as this is allowed and it will be better than anything they will provide. You may not even be chosen but if you are, unless they are sequestering the jury, Celiac is not a valid excuse.

Jestgar Rising Star

Unless you have short-notice diarrhea, what other reason would you not be able to serve?

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
Unless you have short-notice diarrhea, what other reason would you not be able to serve?

Sheer curiosity- do they let people eat while court's in session? Or would a hypoglycemic just not be chosen?

jerseyangel Proficient
Sheer curiosity- do they let people eat while court's in session? Or would a hypoglycemic just not be chosen?

I can only speak about my experience in New Jersey where I was called to jury duty 3 different times.

They had breaks, and an hour for lunch, where you were free to eat there in the cafeteria, eat a lunch you packed yourself, or go out to eat--as long as you were back in an hour. I chose to simply bring my lunch.

If you're worried you can't do it--for instance you have urgent diarrhea or something similar, I'd call the jury office and discuss it with them. I'm sure they've dealt with issues like this before. Bunnie--I'd suggest a person with hypoglycemia or any other condition where they had to eat more often to do this. You never know till you ask :)

ang1e0251 Contributor

One jury I was called for had a man stand up and say he couldn't serve because he had Crohn's. First he had to explain why this was a problem in front of the whole room of people. He was visibly uncomfortable doing this and the judge just said he felt he could accomodate him. I felt for him. Then they sent us on a break and then home as they had reached a plea agreement.

I served on Grand Jury which was one day a week for three months. This was just the jurors and the reps from the DA's office and police officers. It was a situation where we could have stopped whenever for someone. We also had breaks and were dismissed for lunch. Once we went so long they fed us, you have to keep going until you've heard all the cases, but they gave us choices. I wasn't sick then but I was nursing my baby and that was a v-e-r-y long day.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient
One jury I was called for had a man stand up and say he couldn't serve because he had Crohn's. First he had to explain why this was a problem in front of the whole room of people. He was visibly uncomfortable doing this and the judge just said he felt he could accomodate him. I felt for him. Then they sent us on a break and then home as they had reached a plea agreement.

The poor guy.....the court I served in, the judge allowed people to approach the bench to discuss privately to him and the lawyers any concerns about why they couldn't/shouldn't serve. I actually did, but the reason had nothing to do with my health--it was a possible conflict of interest but the lawyers decided I could stay.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Even with crohn's, if you are in a remission, there is no reason you can't serve. Celiac is not a debilitating disease as long as you go gluten free like you are suppose too. I am not celiac, but I am gluten intolerant, and was every bit as sick as anyone whith celiac or gluten intolerance...I stay away from gluten, I work full time, and never miss work. I also have been called for jury duty 3 times, and never tried to get out of it.

Even with crohn's, if you are in a remission, there is no reason you can't serve. Celiac is not a debilitating disease as long as you go gluten free like you are suppose too. I am not celiac, but I am gluten intolerant, and was every bit as sick as anyone whith celiac or gluten intolerance...I stay away from gluten, I work full time, and never miss work. I also have been called for jury duty 3 times, and never tried to get out of it.

I realize this has been said a number of times, but it bears repeating.

Not everyone gets completely better on a gluten free diet. Moi included. My insides still freak sometimes, and it has nothing to do with gluten.

lindalee Enthusiast

Thanks for the info.

3 years ago I changed offices--now I'm really close to home and can eat whenever I get hungry ( about every 2 hours) :rolleyes:

Working from home, not going on appointments until after 10 am keeps my system best.

Lately, my itching is back so I try to not mess up this schedule.

I could not stand up and go over why not to pick me...

Occassionally I have to take people to court and it is stressful --

Maybe age is a factor - working 14 hour days is not my norm any longer.

I really appreciate the feedback!!!

Jestgar Rising Star
I realize this has been said a number of times, but it bears repeating.

Not everyone gets completely better on a gluten free diet. Moi included. My insides still freak sometimes, and it has nothing to do with gluten.

I agree with this. I wouldn't try to get out of jury duty ('cause it doesn't happen very often), but I would explain that if I gotta go, I got about three minutes, so could I please sit right next to the door.

I agree with this. I wouldn't try to get out of jury duty ('cause it doesn't happen very often), but I would explain that if I gotta go, I got about three minutes, so could I please sit right next to the door.

Do they let you just get up and go? Would the give you like a "Hold, please" sign to hold up?

Jestgar Rising Star
Do they let you just get up and go? Would the give you like a "Hold, please" sign to hold up?

I've never been called....

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Don't get me wrong, I have never gotten "completely" better. I have just recently realized how I was being glutened, and by "gluten free" labeled foods. I have dealt with health issues for years, at least 30 now. I have terrible headaches all the time, headaches that most people would not even get out of bed with, and I still go to work.

I'm just saying, celiac is not an excuse to get out of jury duty, not if you are taking care of yourself, and being ever vigilant with what you eat.

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

I was on Jury Duty for 3 weeks. Was very exciting and educational. Court can take a break if one of the jury has a problem. I had no problems with meals, I just told them what I could eat and why only these foods. I think everyone should serve on jury duty.

I found it very shocking at the costs involved. One case was from across the state. Their own court was transported here and put up for the two weeks. Meaning the state had to pay for their transportation, lodging, and meals for as long as they were here, including the weekends. Seemed such a waste of tax money to me.

Until I was picked for a case, we were allowed to roam around and talk to everyone else. Once on the jury for the case I was on, we were locked into our jury room with just the 13 of us. We could go home at night.

It also was funny as the case was laid out and witnesses were called. Once we all got back to our little room and some one asked what we thought of witness3. Everyone of us said he was lying on the stand. We all just knew by the way he sat, held himself and by how he said his answers.

The other thing was at the end of the trial we were given the laws on the book that we were to 'judge' the case. None of us really thought the we should rule in favor of a settlement. When we talked about the laws, asking the judge to clarify a few, we ruled in favor of a settlement. According to the laws he was entitled. Then of course they wanted to know the amount. There were no guidelines but that one witness who was lying caused us to decide on quarter of million dollars.

So don't ask someone to lie on the stand for you.

heatherjane Contributor

I think it could vary by state, but I was in a jury pool for two weeks about a month ago (in KY), and it was no big deal. They gave us regular lunch breaks, which allowed us to leave the building or just eat what we brought with us. The jury administrators did their best to make our service worthwhile, since it is in deed a service to the local government and to the public. The only thing I would think would cause stress for a celiac would be if you happen to be sequestered for a trial and have to eat the food provided for you - but even then, I think they would try to work with you on that. Plus, if you do happen to end up in a voir dire session for a trial, they will weed people out by hardship, bias, etc. They'll definitely want the best candidates for their case, and if you have a concern, they'll want to hear it.

I never got picked for a trial, which I was actually kind of bummed about, but I did learn about a lot about the judicial process. :) Don't try to get out of it unless you absolutely have to.

I guess I just think you're gonna be a crappy (pun intended) juror if you're constantly worried about your next bathroom break. I've been tagged but never even actually went to the courthouse, always been cancelled the night before. I think it sounds like fun, but interrupting a court session for my spastic colon doesn't.

Jestgar Rising Star

Seriously. only you know how sick you are. Make your decision based on how you feel.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Seriously. only you know how sick you are. Make your decision based on how you feel.

That is really the key. In my state you can call the office that deals with the jury pools if you have any type of question or concern. You don't have to stand up in front of everyone and talk about your issues, well unless you wait until the day you have to go to notify them. There are some of us that have other issues that have come from having celiac that may be more of a disqualification than the celiac itself. If you think that your physical or mental issues may be a problem call and talk to them.

Darn210 Enthusiast

Call and talk to them . . . it has been my experience that they will work with you. Last time I got called, I had a one year old and a three year old and a husband that traveled for work. No relatives living within a 4 hour radius. Nobody to babysit for the week that I was suppose to be available (sitting in the juror room at the courthouse). They scheduled me to serve one day . . . and I was only in the jury pool for cases that would last that one day. That made it doable.

lovegrov Collaborator

I don't see celiac as an excuse to avoid jury duty.

richard

ENF Enthusiast

Celiac Disease affects various people differently, I was undiagnosed until few years ago, and my digestive and neurological systems still act up in ways that are unpredictable - even though I maintain a strict gluten free diet.

I served on regular and grand juries before diagnosis. During those times, not knowing what was wrong with me, and being under duress, I took large doses of Imodium and tried not to eat much. When I was summoned this past spring I obtained a letter form my gastroenterologist and was excused.

Here is a thread I started about it:

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.php?showtopic=58065

luvthelake21 Rookie

I thought if you had a Autoimmune Diease that stress is not good for you or your system. Can't stress cause brain fog, and when you have brain for you can't always think straight.

ENF Enthusiast
I thought if you had a Autoimmune Diease that stress is not good for you or your system. Can't stress cause brain fog, and when you have brain for you can't always think straight.

I agree. Stress is very bad for people with an Autoimmune Disease, jury duty can be very stressful, and the brain fog from stress can affect a person's thinking. This happens to me.

Archived