jess_gf

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

Rate this topic

Tonight I am making:

Parmesan Cod Cakes and Caper Tartar Sauce with Tarragon

Lime and Sea Salt Sweet Potato Fries

Roasted Kale Chips

Crisp Japanese Jicama Slaw

lucia, just off the top of my head, ginger ale sounds good with chicken :)

ETA: http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/282/Ginger-Ale-Chicken132219.shtml :D

Interesting ... I could try braising a chicken breast with gingerale on one of those nights when my husband isn't around. That would be ... well, my idea anyway of ... fun!

Lime and Sea Salt Sweet Potato Fries

I want these!

Tonight I am making:

-Gujarti (Indian) style Hot Sweet and Sour Potatoes

-Ong Choy (a type of greens, like Bok Choy) cooked Indian style in the wok

-brown rice (no chapatis, unfortunately)

This was the first time I attempted to cook an Indian dish without following a recipe (the Choy). It wasn't fantastic, but it wasn't bad either.

This meal was meat free, lactose free, egg free, soy free, corn free, and of course gluten free!

Lucky for me I decided to have some sausage for supper, I headed out to the deep freeze to discover someone had unplugged it. I got there just in time, things were defrosted but still in the safe temperature range. So, I made BBQ chicken, bratwurst, chicken apple sausage, chicken pineapple sausage and a corned beef roast. Roughly enough to feed a small army. Other than steaming some veggies I'm totally off the hook from cooking for the rest of the weekend! :D (I'll probably fry up some cabbage though, this seems like the perfect excuse for such a rare, bad for me but oh-so-delicious treat.)

pricklypear - I think this is intensely creative. I had no idea people cooked meat with soda! It's truly American cuisine. I don't eat beef, but what is good with chicken?

love2travel - hope your postings mean that you're feeling better again.

I had a friend come over tonight, and served:

-roasted beet & fennel soup

-spinach risotto

She's not vegetarian, but didn't notice the lack of meat.

Sorry, didn't see this.

Funny you ask - I made rice wraps (or as my son calls them - Asian burritos) with the leftovers and started wondering about chicken and something gingery or limey. Oddly enough, the meat doesn't come out sweet. I was thinking of sprite or gingerale.

A famous southern dish is Coke and pork/ham. Sweet as syrup...

Roasted Mushroom Soup with Fricos

Arugula Salad with Pear and Pomegranate Vinaigrette

I made pork burgers with sage and garlic with onion and mushroom gravy with rice and broccoli. Sooo good.

BTW there is an old recipe called Pepsi chicken, just tomato sauce, onion and chicken simmered. you can use Coke, Pepsi or Dr. Pepper or beef or even beef ribs. If you do ribs add some mace or nutmeg. Yum

British!

Bangers (Cumberland sausages) braised in stock

Mash (Potato puree)

Caramelized Onion Red Wine Pan Sauce

Mushy Minted Peas

I have nearly a pound of fresh ginger so searched for a recipe.

I found and made Coconut and Ginger Chicken and veg with basmati rice. It was great but next time I will spice it up a bit more.

I found and made Coconut and Ginger Chicken and veg with basmati rice. It was great but next time I will spice it up a bit more.

Mmmmm...I love fresh ginger. Have you tried pickling it? It tastes far better than commercial pickled ginger.

Delicious!

Mine is Indian again. And therefore veg and gluten-free, lactose free, soy free, corn free, nut free (but quite satisfying despite all that).

-Gujarti-style hot sweet and sour potatoes

-Indian-style wok sauteed turnip greens

-pickled beets

(I was too lazy hungry to wait for rice to cook. The greens came out really good this time!

Mmmmm...I love fresh ginger. Have you tried pickling it? It tastes far better than commercial pickled ginger.

When I did a search Pickled ginger or candied ginger came up a lot. I think I'll go with pickled.

I have been making ginger tea with it, I have a mild sinus infection.

Had friends over Monday night for my first dinner party since going gluten free. Other than some frozen rolls everything was gluten free, even our brownie sundaes for dessert and they didn't even know! I used up my leftover lamb today to make a shepherd pie that I know my husband won't touch which is fine by me. I'm tempted to say I added too much gravy to it, but is there really such a thing as too much gravy?

Grilled marinated Korean flank steak, daikon, carrot, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves and rice vermicelli in rice wraps with Korean sauce. Steamed broccoli. Quick cucumber pickles.

When I did a search Pickled ginger or candied ginger came up a lot. I think I'll go with pickled.

I have been making ginger tea with it, I have a mild sinus infection.

If you really like fresh ginger and scallions, try this recipe from David Chang (Momofuku fame):

http://stickygooeycreamychewy.com/2010/01/29/ginger-scallion-noodles-from-momofuku/

Of course I use rice noodles instead of ramen.

If you really like fresh ginger and scallions, try this recipe from David Chang (Momofuku fame):

http://stickygooeycreamychewy.com/2010/01/29/ginger-scallion-noodles-from-momofuku/

Of course I use rice noodles instead of ramen.

Thank you, that's perfect. I was drooling looking at the pictures.

I'll make the cucumbers too. I used to make those at work for the salad bar and people loved them.

Grilled marinated Korean flank steak, daikon, carrot, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves and rice vermicelli in rice wraps with Korean sauce. Steamed broccoli. Quick cucumber pickles.

That sounds awesome! I've been craving Bulgogi for a while now, but I've never managed to make it taste like it came from the restaurant.

That sounds awesome! I've been craving Bulgogi for a while now, but I've never managed to make it taste like it came from the restaurant.

It's excellent. I do a lot of Korean and Thai cooking as great as restaurant food. Heck - a lot of other ethnicities as well. Yum!

For tea, we're having fish and chips. But looking at this thread is giving me ideas for what to have the next week. I hope to get my diagnosis soon. :)