This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Glutened By White Wine - Really?

ndw3363

ndw3363 Contributor

I really can't imagine that I got glutened by white wine (since I've had plenty before) - but Monday night, I had a couple glasses of Cavit Pinot Grigio - and it hit me HARD! I'm used to being a little loopy after two glasses of wine all before dinner, but I was drunk drunk. So much so that it made me sick later. Then I had terrible D and stomach cramping all night and so far this morning. From wine?? Really?? What's next - I get glutened by broccoli? So irritated. Just wanted to see if anyone else has had a problem with wine.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

I doubt you got gluten from the wine.

richard

verushka1974 Newbie

I had a bad reaction also from a Cavit wine long time ago.

ndw3363 Contributor

It was the only thing I had that was different from normal. Leftover taco salad for lunch (make it ALL the time with no problems), pecan crusted chicken for dinner (again, make it at least once a week with no issues) and lots of water to drink. That's it!! The only thing out of the ordinary was the wine. Never in all my life have I been physically sick after drinking two glasses of wine. I'm not a heavy drinker, but geez! The next day I had my classic gluten migraine - which is SO much worse than a hangover.

kareng Grand Master

I doubt the wine had gluten. Could have been something else wrong with it. Could have been something else you ate. Could be something besides gluten all together. Those symptoms also go with stomach virus or food poisoning.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I've been glutened by wine, but I am super sensitive and I get glutened by all sorts of things. There are various issues with wine, wheat paste used on the oak barrels and fining agents that affect super sensitives.

modiddly16 Enthusiast

I still think that wheat paste thing is a myth, it really doesn't contaminate the wine, I've talked to wine makers at length about that kind of stuff because I live in an area where there are a lot of wineries. I do know that some celiacs have trouble with the sulfites in wine, maybe that could've caused a reaction? Granted I don't know much about that particular brand but the vast majority of the people on this board have no problems with wine from a celiac perspective! I hope you feel better soon!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I still think that wheat paste thing is a myth, it really doesn't contaminate the wine,

I agree. That is why I stated super sensitive celiac. The amount is incredibly small. It doesn't bother typical celiacs. I don't know about the sensitivity level of the poster.

Mango04 Enthusiast

I don't know where you're from or what else you might be sensitive to, but in other countries I've been to, there are labels on some white wines that say "contains casein."

I'd assume there's a possibility that some white wine can contain milk protein in the US as well. Our labeling laws are just really behind a lot of other places. Not encouraging anyone to avoid wine. Just something I want to point out for anyone super sensitive to milk protein.

kdonov2 Contributor

I have heard of the wheat paste sealing agent and the transfer of wines to used, gluten containing barrels once used for whiskeys. It was from this site, actually, and it terrifies me! Someone even posted a link about a wine-maker discussing the process of how the wheat paste seal is made. I also do not react to gluten if I have had it recently. On the other hand, if I have not had it in a very long time, I have terrible gastro symptoms. The point being that I probably cannot tell if I have had gluten wine either. Although, I am also casein intolerant and many wines use it as a fining agent. I got a pretty bad reaction from Louis Jadot Chardonnay. If you have a problem with milk, Binny's offers a few vegan wines.

GFinDC Veteran

I avoid chardonay's because they like to add lots of nifty flavors to them. One way they may do that is by adding used barrel staves to the wine barrel giving it some flavor from the old barrel. They sometimes use old whiskey barrel staves for this. So I think that is a possible source of gluten since I have reacted to some whiskies. Which is why I don't drink whiskey now either.

• 3 months later...
Ollie's Mom Apprentice

I know that this thread is old, but I got really sick a few days ago from two glasses of white wine (Crush Pinot Grigio).

I didn't think it was possible to get sick from wine, but now I'm thinking that it really is possible. And yes, it was like I was glutened, but no skin rash like I normally get. But lots of vomiting (within a few hours of having my first sip) and D and achy joints and brain fog.

I drink white wine at home all the time, no issues. I had wine at home on Thursday (a glass and a half), no issues. I went out on Friday, didn't eat anything at the bar (ate at home first, homemade food, wanted to be safe), and spent the latter part of the evening in the bathroom at the bar, then hurling in my bathroom at home.

Granted, it may have been CC from the wine glass at the bar, or maybe the wine bottle itself was contaminated (I ordered it by the glass, not the bottle - they probably aren't careful about handling bottles of wine at pub bars). But the reaction was just so STRANGE and so EXTREME. Like I was crazy drunk, the room was spinning - it felt like I had had two bottles, not two glasses.

If anyone has any thoughts, I'm all ears. But I really don't think it was a virus or a "bug" - this was the WINE. I felt fine until I got the buzz from the wine. Then it went from normal "buzz" to crazy drunk drunk rather quickly.

Lisa Mentor

After many years being gluten free, I have learned that not all ills are gluten related. Red wine and beef make a quick exit for me :rolleyes: - but that's just how I react to those particular items - no gluten involved.

I do know that your tolerance changes and one too many (and not what you're used too) would lead to brain fog and achy joints, as anyone would react to overly consuming more than your body can handle. I know that when you start absorbing things again, alcohol absorbs fast and furious.

I don't doubt that a few cannot tolerate wine well, for a variety of reasons. Regulatory laws won't be forthcoming anytime soon, unfortunately.

ALL of the support, research groups and foundations that supports and advocate for Celiac Disease, state that wine is safe for people with Celiac to consume.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Is Crush a flavored wine? If so that may be a problem.

When we were wine tasting Friday (my horrid day), one place makes flavored ports - and she showed me the ingredients - that particular one didn't contain gluten but it would be easy to encounter one that is. That's why they say stay away from flavored vodkas, etc.

Lisa Mentor

Is Crush a flavored wine? If so that may be a problem.

When we were wine tasting Friday (my horrid day), one place makes flavored ports - and she showed me the ingredients - that particular one didn't contain gluten but it would be easy to encounter one that is. That's why they say stay away from flavored vodkas, etc.

I have never heard of Crush wine. Could it be a wine cooler, which might contain barley malt like Smirnoffs Ice Coolers?

Wine in general is gluten free. I don't know anything about flavored wines :rolleyes: ....not on my grocery list.

Ollie's Mom Apprentice

Thanks for the replies.

Lisa - I do drink wine on a regular basis, and I don't have problems like this. A few weeks ago, I had about 3/4 of a bottle over the course of an evening and was perfectly fine. I did not consume any more alcohol on Friday than I do normally. So, it was not an alcohol thing. Of that, I am 100% certain.

And I thought I could tolerate wine well - until Friday. There must have been something about this wine - or something about the glass it was in - that made me so ill. Vomiting excessively after 2 glasses of wine is NOT normal for me at all.

pricklypear - I looked the wine up online after I felt a bit better. It does not look like it is flavoured, but I think I'm going to call the winery and ask about it. I'd like to get to the bottom of this, because I enjoy have a glass or two of wine with dinner every so often. But it is not worth the pain it caused me on Friday!

Ollie's Mom Apprentice

I have never heard of Crush wine. Could it be a wine cooler, which might contain barley malt like Smirnoffs Ice Coolers?

Wine in general is gluten free. I don't know anything about flavored wines :rolleyes: ....not on my grocery list.

It is not a cooler. It is a pinot grigio. From an Ontario winery.

I would never have a cooler without researching it first.

Like you, I thought wine was gluten free. But after my reaction on Friday, I'm not so sure anymore.

kareng Grand Master

Thanks for the replies.

Lisa - I do drink wine on a regular basis, and I don't have problems like this. A few weeks ago, I had about 3/4 of a bottle over the course of an evening and was perfectly fine. I did not consume any more alcohol on Friday than I do normally. So, it was not an alcohol thing. Of that, I am 100% certain.

And I thought I could tolerate wine well - until Friday. There must have been something about this wine - or something about the glass it was in - that made me so ill. Vomiting excessively after 2 glasses of wine is NOT normal for me at all.

pricklypear - I looked the wine up online after I felt a bit better. It does not look like it is flavoured, but I think I'm going to call the winery and ask about it. I'd like to get to the bottom of this, because I enjoy have a glass or two of wine with dinner every so often. But it is not worth the pain it caused me on Friday!

I have to think it might be something about the bar or food poisoning. Probably not the wine if it's just wine. You may never know. Something got me a few weeks back. Never have figured out what it could be. Welcome to the gluten free world! :blink:

Lisa Mentor

Thanks for the replies.

I have a thought and a totally personal experience. We have a restaurant here in small town, usa. It's a local place, like "the brick" on Northern Exposure or like "Cheers".

I can have two glasses of wine here at home and feel totally fine. Same wine I buy at the grocery store. But, in a crowded environment like our restaurant and I'm busy talking to people, two glasses have a far greater impact.

Why, I'm not sure. But, my non gluten-free friends experience the same effect. I think it has to do with adrenalin of something.

Life with Celiac is curious. Sometimes, we might not ever know the answer. So we just do out best. :)

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Maybe it is something in the air...I'm still paying for Friday's wine tasting fiasco.

I did notice something interesting - when I drink organic wine or biodynamic wine (can't remember the wineries) I could barely feel a buzz. Compared to regular wine (sulfates added, strong tannins), it was very different.

T.H. Community Regular

I don't know anything about flavored wines

They're actually kind of interesting. I've seen a lot of various fruit flavored wines and nut flavored wines, but the oddest one I've come across was a chocolate flavored wine called Cocoa di Vine.

Archived