This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Favorite Fruit Smoothie Recipes?

Ninja

Ninja Contributor

Would any of you be willing to share some of your favorite fruit smoothie recipes? I need to get away from the processed gluten-free cereals I've been having for breakfast every morning! I'm a newbie at smoothie making though. :lol:

Thanks!

Edit: Sorry if this is in the wrong spot!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Would any of you be willing to share some of your favorite fruit smoothie recipes? I need to get away from the processed gluten-free cereals I've been having for breakfast every morning! I'm a newbie at smoothie making though. :lol:

Thanks!

You're in the right spot! My fave is blueberry-banana. I never measure, but a banana, hndful of frozen blueberries, scoop of yogurt, and about half a cup of milk. In your case, I would try using coconut milk. Actully, try peeling the banana and breaking it up inside a baggie, then put it in the freezer the night before. The frozen blueberry and banana with cold coconut milk will make a plenty thick smoothie. Can always toss some protein powder in there.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

You may try Blender Girl - she does a lot of smoothies.

Open Original Shared Link

And a good way to bulk up a smoothie is a few spoons of nut butter.

And that reminds me - I have a 1/2 flat of strawberries I've got to clean and freeze...

Kelleybean Enthusiast

Thanks!

Almond milk, banana (either frozen or I add a few ice cubes), maybe a squeeze of honey plus a handful of spinach or frozen carrots or canned pumpkin. I really like sneaking a veggie in!

birdie22 Enthusiast

1 cup yogurt, splash of fruit juice, handful of frozen

Mixed berries or a banana or frozen sliced peaches, 1tb ground flax. I sometimes add a scoop of natural peanut butter or a scoop of avocado (makes it very creamy).

Ninja Contributor

Yum

kareng Grand Master

For those who hate to clean the blender:

I make extra smoothie. I put it in microwaveable cups in the freezer. When I want a smoothie, I microwave about 1 minute and stir. You could freeze it in baggies or small containers. If you freeze it all together, you will be chipping at it to get a serving.

Also, make extra smoothies into Popsicles. Imagine the lucky kid who gets a Popsicle for breakfast or snack.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Adalaide Mentor

I have one of those handy little blenders with the single serve cups you can drink from. I just plop in about 1.5 cups of yogurt and frozen fruit (round about half yogurt and half fruit), then top it off with milk. I love just plain peach or peach and strawberry. I also like doing bananas and strawberries, just a variety of berries or a tropical one with mangoes and pineapples and bananas. If I ever truly feel like I need it to be sweeter I just add a little honey.

I love the idea of making smoothie popsicles. Those would make a great summer treat since it's usually in the 80s by the time I want breakfast in the summer.

fantasticalice Explorer

Just bought a Nutribullet 3 days ago. If you haven't seen one yet? I didn't search to see if there any posts but they have it going on! Ground my own flour for dog cookies yesterday. I am amazed at how fine the flax grinds. My Vita-Mix hit the dust and not having an extra $500 laying around i took a chance on this thing. Got it at Bed, Bath & Beyond for $80! Can't beat that. :) I have never been more pleased with anything, ever, in my life.

Yesterdays "smoothie"(it's way more than that!) had 10 green raisins and a 5 almonds, 1/4 cup flax seed, mango, pineapple, 1/4 banana, ice, water(green tea). It was way more than a meal. I was amazed at how long that simple combo lasted in my tummy and well it agreed with me.

I grind the flax by itself to get a really fine grind and no, I had never eaten flax like this before nor did I ever care to. It's good. Way better than pills, which I use to take by the handful.

Most of these Nutriblasts (that's the term) are 1/2 greens, 1/2 fruit and one "blast" (nuts or seed like chia!)

I NEVER used the two before nor did I ever think about add NUTS!? I lost touch with my good heath for a split

second but I am finding my way back. This is a great find/buy!

mushroom Proficient

I always keep TJ's frozen mango slices in the freezer for smoothies (instead of adding ice cubes) and often use almond milk for additional flavor.

Ninja Contributor

So I felt so spoiled this morning eating my wonderfully cold smoothie. B) I decided to keep it simple and added frozen strawberries, a few frozen banana slices, some fresh raspberries, a little bit of yogurt and the last of the vanilla rice milk. It was delicious! Though I think I overdid the milk... maybe some kind of fruit juice would be better..? Or maybe just less of the milk. :lol:

Anyhow, I relished every drip! Thanks so much for the suggestions

Kelleybean Enthusiast

So I felt so spoiled this morning eating my wonderfully cold smoothie. B) I decided to keep it simple and added frozen strawberries, a few frozen banana slices, some fresh raspberries, a little bit of yogurt and the last of the vanilla rice milk. It was delicious! Though I think I overdid the milk... maybe some kind of fruit juice would be better..? Or maybe just less of the milk. :lol:

Anyhow, I relished every drip! Thanks so much for the suggestions

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I've learned to freeze everything for smoothies...my favorite is leftover coffee to make my own iced coffee...which isn't really healthy but is good.

I'll turn anything into a smoothie - just dump it in and turn it on and drink it. Cleaned out the freezer and tossed in all of my leftover fruit and added cranberry nectar. Yummy.

Ninja Contributor

Now that I've thought about it

• 2 weeks later...
genieb Newbie

I don't have recipes -- I just wing it. Usually start with milk (I use almond, but use what you can tolerate) and bananas (usually frozen). Then I just add whatever strikes my fancy. Sometimes fresh or frozen fruit. Sometimes pumpkin and pumpkin pie spices. My favorite is dark chocolate. I add flax seed meal to all my smoothies for an extra nutritional boost -- usually 1 Tablespoon per serving.

love2travel Mentor

I've been having smoothies almost daily for several months - a great way to get my calcium, fibre (flax) and fruit. One of my favourites is mango-banana-lime with coconut milk. All fruit frozen and cold milk to make it super thick, like soft ice cream. Black cherry with pomegranate is divine! Another favourite of mine is raspberry peach (i.e. melba).

Ninja Contributor

I've been having smoothies almost daily for several months - a great way to get my calcium, fibre (flax) and fruit. One of my favourites is mango-banana-lime with coconut milk. All fruit frozen and cold milk to make it super thick, like soft ice cream. Black cherry with pomegranate is divine! Another favourite of mine is raspberry peach (i.e. melba).

YUM! Adding flax sounds like a great idea. I've taken to strawberry/raspberry/lemonade smoothies. Nutritionally, maybe not so great... but boy is it good!

I now see how "winging" it is more fun than following a recipe! :D

love2travel Mentor

YUM! Adding flax sounds like a great idea. I've taken to strawberry/raspberry/lemonade smoothies. Nutritionally, maybe not so great... but boy is it good!

Mmmmm...lemonade in a smoothie. Sounds lovely! Winging it is delightful, actually, and I do it often. In fact, I usually use recipes for ideas and as guidelines and cook on my own. However, I do use recipes for most baking.

Ninja Contributor

It is very yummy. :)

I like to watch Top Chef occasionally.. and they recently started a shoot-off of it called Top Chef Desserts. I cannot believe how the contestants can bake such a huge variety of desserts without recipes. :o

It is very yummy. :)

I like to watch Top Chef occasionally.. and they recently started a shoot-off of it called Top Chef Desserts. I cannot believe how the contestants can bake such a huge variety of desserts without recipes. :o

Ratios! Same thing happens with gluten free baking, you just have a standard for fat/dry/liquid/whatever applies to the item you're baking. The best explanation of this is on the gluten free girl's blog. You need a scale to bake based on ratios.

Ninja Contributor

Ratios! Same thing happens with gluten free baking, you just have a standard for fat/dry/liquid/whatever applies to the item you're baking. The best explanation of this is on the gluten free girl's blog. You need a scale to bake based on ratios.

Ahh... so that's how they do it. They make it look so easy!

• 3 weeks later...

My new favorite smoothie- frozen pineapple, whole plain yogurt, orange juice, vanilla extract. Oh yeah baby.... It's kind of like a pineapple-y orange creamsicle smoothie.

kareng Grand Master

I add lemon or lime juice ( from a green bottle) if I want my smoothie more sour. I usually use OJ for the liquid.

IrishHeart Veteran

In a blender:

8-10 oz. So Delicious coconut milk

5-6 Frozen strawberries

1 cup blueberries

1 banana

some mango slices

handful of chunked up fresh pineapple

(any fruit works really!)

2 handfuls of frozen chopped kale (do not worry, it blends right up)

1 TBLS. ground flax seed

a good squirt of agave syrup or honey

BLEND.

If you like it thicker, throw in a few cubes, but the frozen berries make it slushy enough for me.

Full of calcium, fiber, digestive enzymes, vitamins and minerals (including folate and B-12, which we can always use) and it keeps you "regular"

;)

kareng Grand Master

In a blender:

8-10 oz. So Delicious coconut milk

5-6 Frozen strawberries

1 cup blueberries

1 banana

some mango slices

handful of chunked up fresh pineapple

(any fruit works really!)

2 handfuls of frozen chopped kale (do not worry, it blends right up)

1 TBLS. ground flax seed

a good squirt of agave syrup or honey

BLEND.

If you like it thicker, throw in a few cubes, but the frozen berries make it slushy enough for me.

Full of calcium, fiber, digestive enzymes, vitamins and minerals (including folate and B-12, which we can always use) and it keeps you "regular"

;)

My son, M, must have sent you a note. He wants a smoothie with kale. He had a sample at WF when the health class went. Kale is one of the best foods for you.

Archived