Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Vitamin Deficiency

3 posts in this topic

If I have a vitamin deficiency wil my vitamins go up naturally on a gluten free diet?

Also what are the best supplements for every vitamin? Would a daily vitamin be all that's needed? My vitamins haven't been checked I'm just curious

Ads by Google:

Gluten free vitamin supplements of course. If you're deficient in some vitamin or another, it will take a looong time for it to get back to normal. Firstly, until your intestines heal fully, you won't be absorbing food properly, and that can take years. Secondly, once you are absoring food normally, it might take a long time for you to get back on track, or you might never get back on track...perfectly healthy people can get vitamin deficiencies just based on their diet.

Whenever I see recommendations for deficiency in something, it's usually a HUGE dose, many times larger than the daily recommended intake. Also, taking all your nutrition at once will result in a lot of wasted nutrients just getting passed through. Eg: most metals, zinc, iron, magnesium, have shared uptake pathways (if your pathways are even working given the damage), so I can't imagine that you'd be absorbing all that the multivitamin has in it, intestinal damage or not.

Of course, if you can't figure out what you're deficient in, you don't want to overdo do it on something you don't need.

Just my take on it, I'm not an expert in this...I wish I were!

You really should get your levels checked to find out where your deficiencies lie.  If you are seriously deficient in something you will need much more supplementation than is available in a multivitamin - e.g., B12 and D - so it is best to know what you need.