biopsytesting gluten challenge endoscopy

• Please log in to reply

2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_frncsk_*

Guest_frncsk_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:36 AM

Hi, guys! I'm frncsk and I'm new here!

I have a question about an upcoming biopsy for celiac testing, and I'd really appreciate any feedback you might offer!

So I have been slowly starting to add some gluten into my diet (after about a year gluten-free) to get ready for the test. I've been eating just a bit (a piece of bread here and there type of thing) maybe every few days or so for the past two or three weeks, with symptoms definitely coming back. :(

I had no idea until today that the amount of gluten I need to be eating (called the gluten challenge, I believe?) is much much higher than I have been ingesting! My test is on the 29th, just over two weeks away. What should I do? Would drastically ramping up my gluten intake between now and then be sufficient to ensure a correct result?

If not, I might be able to re-schedule.. but not for a few months. The 29th would be really quite convenient.

Thanks a bunch! :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:28 AM

http://www.curecelia...luten-challenge

What is a gluten challenge?

A gluten challenge is the period of time when gluten is added back into a person’s diet to assist in the diagnosis of celiac disease. Antibodies take time to build into the blood stream before they can be detected through blood analysis. For a gluten challenge we recommend eating 1/2 slice of bread or a cracker each day for the duration of the challenge.

Prior to blood testing we recommend 12 weeks of eating gluten.
Prior to an endoscopic biopsy we recommend 2 weeks of eating gluten.

In the case of a severe reaction to gluten, a medical professional may opt to shorten the 12-week challenge and move immediately to an endoscopic biopsy.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#3 Deaminated Marcus

Deaminated Marcus

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:33 AM

Welcome frncsk,

The information I found on The Canadian Celiac Association web site 
is that they recommend eating 4 slices of wheat bread for 3 months prior to a test.

You can find that information on this web page: http://www.celiac.ca...sked-questions/

Peter a moderator recently posted an answer to your question about gluten cramming. 

Good luck with the test.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: