1 reply to this topic

#1 across

across

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:12 AM

I've been six months gluten-free due to numerous health issues. I am a religious person, and haven't been one to swear or curse for the past 25 years.

About two years ago, I started having problems with constant self-condemning swearing in my mind. There was no apparent reason for it. It would happen hundreds of times a day, and I had no control over it. I worried that I was going crazy! I also experienced near-constant anxiety.

When my doctor asked me to try an elimination diet for other health issues, the swearing and anxiety unexpectedly stopped within one day. My mind was completely still and calm -- calmer than it had ever been in my entire life. I actually had a bit of an identity crisis without the base-level anxiety to which I was so accustomed! :-) Whenever I got glutened (or ate another food that I am sensitive to), the first sign that it had happened was that the swearing/anxiety came back.

I read some research online that said that cursing/swearing comes from a different part of the brain than normal language. This research said that it has an analgesic effect -- soothing pain. This is why people will often curse when they hit their thumb with a hammer or something. When I told my doctor about the swearing, he said, "It's probably just your body's response to pain."

Anybody else ever experienced anything like this? It is very sobering to me to think how much our minds can be affected by something as simple as food!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 MermaidPaz

MermaidPaz

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:09 AM

When I have gluten my anxiety and irritability goes sky high.  In situations where I would normally shrug it off and try again, I yell, swear, and curse until I get over it.  I absolutely hate that it turns me into another person emotionally, but that's one of the big flags that helps me pinpoint the trigger.

Hashimoto's disease, Fibromyalgia, IC, lifelong migraines, and chronic vomiting...all improved when completely wheat and food irritant free.  Reversing 7 years of illness is a tough and slow road.  I'm so grateful for the advice and support here, something so basic that's hard to find in a doctor's office.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: