3 replies to this topic

#1 Currantbun

Currantbun

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:47 AM

I went out for lunch with my family yesterday and ordered some gluten-free food as you do!  Within 3-4 minutes of eating I knew I'd been glutened.  My body began to feel like it was on fire and my throat began to feel tight.  I was quickly rushed outside to get some air.  When all the commotion settled down I was told that during the episode my skin had began to go beetroot red and my veins looked like they were protruding through my skin.  The heat radiating from my chest was immense.  I also had a heat like rash between my thumb and forefinger; always on the right hand. 

I have had these episodes before and they almost always happen when I have been glutened through supposedly gluten free food.  What I find ironic is I recover relatively quickly after these attacks.  I woud be recovered within an hour or less.  If I am stupid enough to eat non gluten-free than I will be in free fall for days.

Not that I am complaining but what's with this really quick recovery after eating contaminated gluten-free food?    

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:38 AM

It almost sounds like you had an allergic reaction to something you ate.  Are you diagnosed with an allergy or Celiac Disease?

Colleen

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

hairy-spider-smiley-emoticon.gif

#3 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,743 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:02 AM

gluten-free I was thinking the same thing. The tight throat concerns me. It is possible to have both celiac and an allergy. OP you need to mention this to your doctor as allergic reactions can go from annoying to deadly with no warning. 

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#4 abqmalenurse

abqmalenurse

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:34 AM

You are definitely describing a wheat allergy, not a Celiac reaction. This will become worse and can advance easily into anaphylaxis.

First step for you is to get an Epi-pen and never go anywhere without it.

Second step is to talk to your doctor and get a full food allergy panel, to make sure it's only wheat (or confirm it is wheat). This is expensive but in your case may save your life.

137 IQ

Nurse for 20 years, abdomino/thoracic, cardiac, ICU, CCU, ER, neuro/neurosurgery, hospice, infectious disease.

Certified chef, auto/diesel/turbine mechanic, freelance writer.

Gluten free since 2006.

Hobbies-blogging, cooking, photography, gardening (giant crops frequently), developing gardening methods for arid environments, experimenting with alternative electrical generation methods, solar design.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: